Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After the initial publishing of pre-release screenshots of the iPhone 1.1.3 firmware, there have been a couple of videos and details provided further adding to the credibility of the original claims.

Gizmodo provided a short video demonstrating the movable Home screen icons as well as some notes from Natetrue, an iPhone hacker.

- the firmware installs with a private key that only Apple has at this time
- the update breaks AnySim unlocks
- the update breaks jailbreaking (installing 3rd party applications)
- features listed are reportedly correct

GearLive themselves followed up with a video walkthrough (mirror) of the iPhone 1.1.3 firmware. GearLive's Andru Edwards specifically addresses accusations that the photos are fake and attempts to prove the authenticity with this video.

Features demoed:

- Drag home screen icons around, into and out of the dock, and onto other pages
- the Firmware crashes once during the demo
- SMS to multiple people
- Google maps Drop Pin, Locate Me (pseudo GPS), Hybrid Map
- Safari Add Bookmark to Homescreen.

Note: several users have noted the "Nate" carrier name on the top-left of the demoed iPhone. This reportedly is a simple network-name custom hack that was preserved after the 1.1.3 update.

Article Link

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Hopefully, this will make its way to our iPhones on Tuesday! What a way to start the New Year.

I want to be able to record video. C'mon Apple!

Stokkes

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
Hopefully all the naysayers who were saying this was fake a few days ago will now ****.

Actually, we probably won't hear them, they're off whining about some other thing.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
What does Apple get out of this "leak"?

So the questions are obvious:

1) Why is GearLive blatantly posting this video without fear of Apple lawyers, esp after what Thinksecret just went through?
Is Apple in on this?

2) Why has Apple not sent a cease and desist to Gearlive? Other leaks which contained far less in the past were out for 10 minutes before Apple got these sites to pull down the post/video/etc.

3) How is it that Gear Live got this firmware onto their phones? This may be the biggest leak ever from Apple. Anyone remember any other video containing as much info as this does of any previous Apple release of hardware or software? It is not as if iPhone software gets seeded to developers and can make its way online.

So I have to conclude that Apple wanted this leaked and perhaps sent it to Gear Live themselves (maybe they even initially approached MacRumors.com- who knows?). GearLive gets tons of webtraffic and press.... Apple gets.... Well what does Apple get? That is my big question.

Apple could have just released this themselves on apple.com
Apple now loses some "wowness" at Macworld when I suspect this was all to be released.

I don't get it. Anyone have any guesses?

modusop

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
Corrections

The Fake carrier name hack DOES require an initial jailbreak so one can see the filesystem. The reason Nate appears in this vid after updating is this: There are 2 "partitions" in the iPhone. One is the root (system) and the other is the user/media partition. Since all preferences (including the pref to turn this on and change the carrier name) are stored in the user partition, it's still there after the update. He'll probably have some issues turning this hack off now though...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I think Apple said F&*% it...give the people what they want. The rumors are so rampant let's switch things up and we'll have free publicity. In the big picture this is one of 30 updates so I can see them willing to experiment by dropping it in the right hands.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This looks like a major upgrade. I really want an iPhone now.

Sadly, this isn't a major upgrade in my opinion. It's a few things that should have been implemented a long time ago. Even the cell tower triangulation wouldn't be considered a major upgrade to me. Having a video recorder, MMS, and some sort of messenger (iChat Mobile?) would be considered a major upgrade.

I guess I'll have to wait until Feb. for anything big to come.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Sadly, this isn't a major upgrade in my opinion. It's a few things that should have been implemented a long time ago. Even the cell tower triangulation wouldn't be considered a major upgrade to me. Having a video recorder, MMS, and some sort of messenger (iChat Mobile?) would be considered a major upgrade.

True, but major as in things that, after the SDK comes out, will cut back on jailbreaking.

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
what i want to know, and i know this forum does not condone it, but where does one get their hands on 1.1.3, just hypothetically speaking ;).

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
True, but major as in things that, after the SDK comes out, will cut back on jailbreaking.

I think the assumption that Apple is going to make the iPhone a completely open platform simply because they release an SDK is a very, very bad assumption to make.

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
I'm looking foreword to this update. next thing is 3rd party apps you can place where you want.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Hey Andru at Gearlive!

Gearlive is the hottest Apple rumor site in my opinion.

First they released pics of the new fat iPod Nano prior to its release (all were correct).
Now this.

Either they have the best secret sources inside Apple, or else they are a mouthpiece for Apple.
I haven't figured out which just yet.

Andru Edwards- if you are here still- can you tell us if Apple has contacted you and if not, why aren't you scared of Apple?

Either way, your site rocks lately.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I think the assumption that Apple is going to make the iPhone a completely open platform simply because they release an SDK is a very, very bad assumption to make.

I don't think it's going to be completely open because Apple always said security was one of the main reasons they never released an SDK before, but I do think the SDK will open the iPhone to what most developers are wanting.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Looks very exciting!

Anyone got the link for how to perform that carrier name hack? If it isn't locked out I would like to give it a try.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
remember the paralellotitans

Rumors that are true are always incomplete. If this is true, there will be much more.

Do Apple lawyers work on weekends between Christmas and New Year's?

If it's crashing when he drags the icons, then it's not complete. The only main feature that frequently crashes now is Maps, iPod, and Safari... Ok the logic is shot on that one.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Ok, I guess the release I really want is 2.0 - with notable and much-needed functionality enhancements. The ability to copy my own photos on and off the iPhone at will - from any computer - would be nice. And saving a picture from a web page would be nice too.

Apple's goal should be for it to do everything that every other smartphone can do. But better. Why is it so hard for them to imagine that this thing has more potential than "a phone with an iPod built in"?

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Nate?

I wonder if it's the same "Nate" service I have on my 3-year-old Samsung phone (now alarm clock) from Korea. It was/is the name of the mobile Internet service from one of the major carriers. Perhaps that's completely irrelevant.

-Squire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.