Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:21 PM   #1
David G.
macrumors 6502a

The RIAA is crazy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...007122800693.html

This is just crazy. According to the RIAA,
Quote:
"If you make unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings, you're stealing. You're breaking the law and you could be held legally liable for thousands of dollars in damages."
Now they're actually going out and suing people for this.
Quote:
In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer
How did they know the music was on there to begin with? Seems to me they were spying on him in one form or another. My suggestion, stop buying music from record labels under the RIAA.

Please discuss this without getting to political in nature. I'd like to have as many people comment on it as possible(keeping it out of politics subforum). If you feel a need to though, go right on ahead and create a thread on the political aspects of this over there.

P.S. This is the first time I have ever started a thread, it goes to show you how important I think this is.

Last edited by David G.; Dec 29, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
David G. is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:26 PM   #2
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
I think basically the RIAA just picks random people and sues them. Once they file they can get the information they need. I think most people are going to have music on their computers. Sadly the way this is playing out. You are guilty until proven innocent. back ass wards of the way things are supposed to be around these parts.
synth3tik is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:32 PM   #3
termina3
macrumors 65816

While the suit is insane--and may be thrown out before trial--I'd like to know more about the Jasmine suit. Was she tried for illegally downloading? "illegally" copying onto her personal computer? The article doesn't mention the specific allegation against her.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:42 PM   #4
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by termina3 View Post
While the suit is insane--and may be thrown out before trial--I'd like to know more about the Jasmine suit. Was she tried for illegally downloading? "illegally" copying onto her personal computer? The article doesn't mention the specific allegation against her.
It was in the article.
Quote:
They're not kidding. In October, after a trial in Minnesota -- the first time the industry has made its case before a federal jury -- Jammie Thomas was ordered to pay $220,000 to the big record companies. That's $9,250 for each of 24 songs she was accused of sharing online.
David G. is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:46 PM   #5
termina3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G. View Post
It was in the article.
Ooops... missed the "sharing online" bit.

Well, the RIAA is within their rights to persue cases against those who illegally share music or other information. The woman broke the law, and she paid. That's what happens.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:50 PM   #6
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

There must be more to the Howell case than is revealed in the article. The RIAA says on their own site:

Quote:
However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as:
  • The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
  • The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
While they claim there is no specific legal right to copy CDs to your hard drive for personal use, they sure give the impression that they're not going to go after you.

Edit: Further investigation shows that what caused the suit was that MediaSentry, the company the RIAA uses to catch illegal file sharers, was able to download 11 copyrighted music files from Howell's computer via Kazaa.

Last edited by WildCowboy; Dec 29, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
WildCowboy is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:19 PM   #7
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Further investigation shows that what caused the suit was that MediaSentry, the company the RIAA uses to catch illegal file sharers, was able to download 11 copyrighted music files from Howell's computer via Kazaa.
Why don't they go after him for sharing the music, instead of just having it on his HDD?
David G. is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:23 PM   #8
termina3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why don't they go after him for sharing the music, instead of just having it on his HDD?
I feel a journalist wanting a big story...
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:28 PM   #9
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
They are. There's some ambiguous info in the filings about the mere presence of the files, but the vast majority of the complaint revolves around the fact that he was in fact sharing them.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:58 PM   #10
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
They are. There's some ambiguous info in the filings about the mere presence of the files, but the vast majority of the complaint revolves around the fact that he was in fact sharing them.
Ok, that makes me feel so much better. The people over on Engadget are furious.
David G. is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:41 AM   #11
maestro55
macrumors 68030

Send a message via ICQ to maestro55 Send a message via AIM to maestro55 Send a message via MSN to maestro55 Send a message via Yahoo to maestro55 Send a message via Skype™ to maestro55
Despite all of these suits, they are not stopping Music and Video piracy and they won't stop it. They can try but they wont succeed. I wonder how many people have been sued by the RIAA and still kept downloading and sharing music online.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:59 AM   #12
zioxide
macrumors 603

Why the **** do people still buy CDs?

The RIAA are a bunch of scumbag corporate douchebags. I love how their new business model is to sue people.

I don't understand why people put up with it. Stop buying CDs from them. If enough people do, they will start losing even more money and might realize people are sick of their ****.
zioxide is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:26 AM   #13
cycocelica
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to cycocelica
Boggles my mind that our legal system makes people pay more (jail time or money) for a song than a DUI.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:41 AM   #14
Tefret
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Tefret
I think that its ok for the RIAA to sue for a large amount of money. They are trying to make a statement, that if you share or download illegal music, you may have to pay very large fines.

If the fines were only a couple hundred dollars, people would go crazy with the downloading and Artists would loose even More money from less Royalties.

Its much easier for people to just go onto itunes and buy music for a couple bucks a song.. So cheap, and your music is legal. I always recommend itunes to download music. Its not a ton of money, and you only get the songs you want.... And very good quality.. Hastle free.

BTW, I do think that that DUI fines should be way higher as well..

Just call me noob
Tefret is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:58 AM   #15
R.Youden
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycocelica View Post
Boggles my mind that our legal system makes people pay more (jail time or money) for a song than a DUI.
Very true. I know that this is illegal, but in the grand scheme of things....

I have very little time for people who a DUI, over here in the UK a man was 6-times over the limit and got an 18-month ban.

So, to put it into context:

If you had to commit a crime (hypothetically speaking here) and you had a choice, driving at 6-times the legal alcohol limit of downloading and sharing 24 songs?

Well the ban for driving is 18-month (plus a fine, not sure the exact amount), whilst the fine for the songs is over 100,000!

Hmmm, tough choice there.

This is the problem with modern 'sue' culture, things are loosing their perspective and people need a reality check with this one.

I am not condoning this behaviour, but when the fine for downloading and sharing 24 songs is more severe than being in charge of a deadly weapon (yes a car) when you are 6 times over the limit is wrong.

Rant over!
R.Youden is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:18 PM   #16
Xander562
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Xander562
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycocelica View Post
But millions of innocent people are killed each year by the sharing copyrighted files! It must be stopped!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:58 PM   #17
Fleetwood Mac
macrumors 65816

The RIAA is a joke. Since when is ruining potential customers lives in an attempt to scare the others a good sales tactic.. How is this going to help anyone? They need to find alternative proactive methods of fighting piracy, if that's their real goal.

Artists who continually put out good music, play concerts and get out there can still become disturbingly wealthy (if not more than before). Record labels are hurting, but thats because their trying to cram crap like DRM and lawsuits down the public's throats.

Don't get me wrong. I support copyright reform and think everyone should get their fair share here, but its getting ridiculous.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:01 PM   #18
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
Record labels are hurting, but thats because their trying to cram crap like DRM and lawsuits down the public's throats.
There's no evidence for that at all.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 08:27 PM   #19
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Aren't CD sales down like 40% or something?
zioxide is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 08:35 PM   #20
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
Record labels are hurting
I believe this to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Just saw an article that stated current CD sales are down 30% from 2001 levels. I would say that a decline in 30% over 6 years is significant.
sushi is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 08:55 PM   #21
NAG
macrumors 68030

Maybe if they stopped mass producing garbage...
NAG is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:30 PM   #22
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAG View Post
That might have something to do with it!
sushi is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:37 PM   #23
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAG View Post
Nah, they probably like producing **** because then they can be like "CD sales are down because people are pirating music.. lets go sue them!"
zioxide is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:55 PM   #24
ZenErik
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ZenErik
It's a very rare occurrence that any artist from a major label draws my attention. I guess one of the reasons I haven't been sued for downloading excessive amounts of music at school is because almost nothing I get is from a major label if any label.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:25 PM   #25
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Because of illegal downloading Britney Spears is not able to keep a Gulfstream IV, so she must replace it with a smaller Gulfstream III, which doesn't have a remote control for its surround sound DVD system.... the horror....

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion