Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
What sort of times are you guys getting? I havnt really used my ipod much for music yet, but the battery life seems very short! I will charge it one evening, and then by the next evening it will be on low battery, even though i havnt listened to any music, watched any videos , or surfed the internet much, just installed a few apps of installer. Anyone else experiencing this? How could i make it better?

Does jailbreaking it shorten the battery life as you then have lots of apps running? Would dimming the background, uninstalling apps, and taking of the themes make it better?

Thanks in advance! :D

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
if touch is plugged into a computer that goes to sleep it will suck the heck out of the battery.

jailbreaking should make no difference.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
yeh i don't leave it plugged in whilst the computers off or anything...i originally installed ssh but dont use it, so i hid it, but just checked it now and realized it was on, so i turned that off, hopefully that will help!

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
quicklook2 said:
if touch is plugged into a computer that goes to sleep it will suck the heck out of the battery.

jailbreaking should make no difference.

My battery doesn't drain plugged into my mac while it's sleeping, in fact it actually charges :p Leopard...

My battery life is crazy long. I can watch maybe 4-5 full length movies in a row. Although I've never done that. The most I've done is one movie then a couple hours music, then another movie with some jailbreak app usage amongst that over teh course of about 3 days.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
i do have leopard, and have not experienced a single bug, anyways back on topic lol...

Protosome

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Yah, as long as your computer is pumping juice to the device it should not suffer from low battery life, (barring hardware malfunctions), but as someone stated be sure your computer is in a state where it is actually charging it. Sometimes I will plug mine into my computer after a long day of movies/music/wifi and forget that my computer was only on and charging the damn device for like 10 minutes hehe. But hey, it was plugged in all night to my lifeless pc:)

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
Yah, as long as your computer is pumping juice to the device it should not suffer from low battery life, (barring hardware malfunctions), but as someone stated be sure your computer is in a state where it is actually charging it. Sometimes I will plug mine into my computer after a long day of movies/music/wifi and forget that my computer was only on and charging the damn device for like 10 minutes hehe. But hey, it was plugged in all night to my lifeless pc:)

from the apple pdf. ipod_touch_features:

Note: If iPod touch is connected to a computer that’s turned off or in sleep or standby mode, the iPod touch battery may drain instead of charge.

so it may or may not but mine did with osx 10.4.10.

kshott

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
North Kakalaka
"Note: If iPod touch is connected to a computer that’s turned off or in sleep or standby mode, the iPod touch battery may drain instead of charge."

Yeah, mine was doing that the first night. Freaked me out. So, I've been using a wall charger. But tomorrow, I'm getting my new laptop with Leopard at work, so hopefully that'll work with it.

Does leaving the wi-fi on all the time drain the battery?

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Does leaving the wi-fi on all the time drain the battery?

Many people were saying to turn wifi and SSH off because of battery and I used to be careful to do this all the time; but I forgot or got tired to doing it everytime and I haven't noticed any difference in my batt life. I wouldn't worry. If you really really need longer batt turn off the automatic brightness and set it to something low. Or never turn it on. One of those two.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Teh macworld magazine I got the other day did some tests and the results were:

Audio:
wifi on: 16:55
wifi off: 26:56

Video:
wifi on: 5:09
wifi off: 5:27

The interesting one is that video playback statistic..

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England

Audio:

Video:

Hmm the apple site seems to be being a bit modest!

hwfa

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008

Audio:

Video:

Hmmm. If I listen to 1/2 hour *streamed* radio the battery goes from full to 1/2 empty. Do you think there's something wrong?

coffeemadman

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
United Kingdom
I get a few days worth out of a full charge. I only use it on the tube to university though really. It's charged quite frequently too when it's in the dock.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

Audio:

Video:

I wouldn't take it as being too accurate. I mean, looking at the audio results it really makes you wonder how much they had the screen on or if they just had a buggy unit - Apple advertises 36 hours for audio.

I myself decided to run a test after updating to 2.2, I had the volume halfway up the entire time and alternated between headphones and the speaker, Wi Fi was off, and the screen would have been on for about 15/20 minutes of the time -- in the end I got around 40 hours of continuous playback time.

hwfa

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
I get a few days worth out of a full charge. I only use it on the tube to university though really. It's charged quite frequently too when it's in the dock.

Obviously when I listen to *streamed* radio WiFi has to be *on*. Perhaps that's the difference???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.