Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
I am a casual reader of this forum, and I don't follow Apple's moves as closely as many of you. But I too have been waiting an eternity for a Mac Pro upgrade.

I see rumors about the sub notebook, the MacBook Pro, etc., but not even a whisper about the MacPro update. Is that surprising, or par for the course?
Is the lack of rumors probably due to the fact that since they are just updating existing hardware, there wouldn't necessarily be a lot of advance buzz? Or an indicator that nothing is imminent?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Please just post in one of the huge threads. Your comment will get read, as most of the people in the Mac Pro forum are avid readers of the longer threads (such as the "Stoakley-Seaburg" one). To answer your question, no, this dearth of Mac Pro rumors is not normal, and some are now postulating that we won't see an update until WWDC. In my opinion... um... I'm teetering now. I can't decide anymore whether or not they'll put it off again. I do believe that if they do put it off until WWDC, then they'll just skip Penryn and go straight to Nehalem. But, again, I'm not sure. I'll just say that there's a smaller and smaller chance of them doing it at MacWorld...:(

appledog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

Why not do both? Why wouldn't Apple just offer the MP with the Penryn in Jan and then upgrade to Nehalem in Summer? Is it really that big of a deal for Apple to swap out processors in existing hardware? (Especially when there's an angry mob at the gate?!)

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
It'd be best to do both right when the processors come out, I totally agree. They won't. They've waited three months for Penryn now, so they'll more than likely do that at MWSF. When Nehalem comes out, expect the same wait in between chip launch and Mac Pro launch. I'm just saying that if they DON'T do Penryn at MWSF, they'll more than likely skip it and go with Nehalem early. Wait, no they won't. They didn't buy those 3.2ers for nothing. If they don't do Penryn at MWSF, they'll do Penryn at WWDC and Nehalem will be summarily pushed back. Frigtards. They care nothing for us.

Sorry, I'm probably just mad that because of when I have to buy my 12-years'-wait Mac Pro, it'll be seven-month-old tech either way.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
Apple's had the processors (at least the 3.2s) since before the official launch (of course). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the current Mac Pro was released before the general release of the processors themselves and had one processor model that was theretofore unknown. So, three months in comparison to the first gen. :D

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
And the processors were only announced on the 12th November, which is less than two months ago :D

Yes, it's hard to speak in Future Past Subjunctive tense, but I think I have it under control, thank you.;) I mean that by the time of the release at MWSF, they will have waited three months (and two days, by your reckoning). Wait, three? Strike that: two. :eek: I'm getting it confused with FIVE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN DAYS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.