Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:49 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft Office for Mac 2008

Category: Reviews
Link: Microsoft Office for Mac 2008
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:07 AM   #2
skyrider007
macrumors 65816

I want/need it! Seems 10x better than iWork '08. I hate the UK rip off price though!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
gerardrj
macrumors regular

Question about Entourage: Since the still insist on the monolithic database file, have they at least eliminated the 2GB limit that corrupted the database and made you loose all the stuff in it?

I STILL don't see why anyone in a home environment would use this package, iWork is much better suited, in price and functionality, to the vast majority of people who purchase office. Unless, as the article states, you collaborate with many people all using Office, MS Office just doesn't make sense.

I'm not bashing it because it's Microsoft, I'm bashing it because it's expensive, bloated and complex.
gerardrj is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Airforce
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardrj View Post
I'm not bashing it because it's Microsoft, I'm bashing it because it's expensive, bloated and complex.
With a student/DoD/other discount, you can really get the price down. I absolutely think Office is worth $50 or so
Airforce is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Manatee
macrumors 6502

I hadn't thought about Time Machine needing to make a new copy of the giant mail file everytime I send, receive, or delete an e-mail. That could become a big problem, and my mail file is about the last thing I want to exclude from Time Machine's backups.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:23 PM   #6
walnuts
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
I hadn't thought about Time Machine needing to make a new copy of the giant mail file everytime I send, receive, or delete an e-mail. That could become a big problem, and my mail file is about the last thing I want to exclude from Time Machine's backups.
I already had to exclude my database file from my time machine with office 2004- my database is nearly 3 gigs large and that eats at your time machine drive rather quickly. I had a fleeting hope that they would fix this with 2008.

The only consolation is that backup isnt really necessary as the database should also be stored on the email server. If you ever need to restore it, you could have entourage restore, wait for HOURS for it to download again, and you'll be good as new.
walnuts is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:27 PM   #7
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider007 View Post
I want/need it! Seems 10x better than iWork '08. I hate the UK rip off price though!
It won't be, iWork is much lighter and its almost certain this will have plenty of bugs, which iWork does not have.
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:43 PM   #8
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak View Post
It won't be, iWork is much lighter and its almost certain this will have plenty of bugs, which iWork does not have.
that's arrogant. ALL software has bugs (yes even iWork)
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:46 PM   #9
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
that's arrogant. ALL software has bugs (yes even iWork)
Of course, but I (and many others) have had no experience with iWork crashing at all. The reviews I have read of Office 08 include reports of crashes with only a few days of use.
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:47 PM   #10
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak View Post
Of course, but I (and many others) have had no experience with iWork crashing at all. The reviews I have read of Office 08 include reports of crashes with only a few days of use.
fair enough!
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:51 PM   #11
JSchwage
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to JSchwage Send a message via MSN to JSchwage Send a message via Yahoo to JSchwage Send a message via Skype™ to JSchwage
I just bought Office 2004 for $126, which entitles me to a free ($6 for shipping) upgrade to Office 2008. I'm definitely a happy camper. The Office 2008 user interface is so much improved over the interface in 2008.

On a side note, why in the heck can't I print documents using the "Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive"?! It's a trial version! Wouldn't you think that a trial version would allow you to try all the features?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Iroganai
macrumors regular

Well, Keynote '08 crashed with the entire OS several times when I made it full-screen, which was later fixed... so nothing is perfect.
Iroganai is offline   0
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:36 AM   #13
opuslab
macrumors member

Does anybody know if you can set the IMAP Path Prefix in the new Entourage?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:15 AM   #14
walnuts
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardrj View Post
Question about Entourage: Since the still insist on the monolithic database file, have they at least eliminated the 2GB limit that corrupted the database and made you loose all the stuff in it?
Microsoft provided an answer on their blog page:

Quote:
Compatibility with Apple’s Time Machine backup feature in Leopard is a database area that has received a lot of attention recently. Because Entourage uses a single file database, over time it can become large (sometimes really large). In those cases, Entourage data will not work optimally with Time Machine. Our recommendation is to exclude your Entourage Identity folder(s) in the Time Machine preferences and use alternative backup methods. We are committed to integrating with key Apple technologies and are weighing our options here for future releases.
walnuts is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2008, 09:50 AM   #15
pbbaker123
macrumors regular

Well, well, well

When are you people going to learn that MS hates Mac users.....

come on, wake up...
pbbaker123 is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:43 AM   #16
Samwise592
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Samwise592
I don't like how none of these articles bring up NeoOffice... It's such an amazing suite of apps, compatibility with office is amazing from my experience... and you can't beat free!

Last edited by Samwise592; Jan 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: so upuslab would calm down.
Samwise592 is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:08 AM   #17
opuslab
macrumors member

There we go, the hate word again... So, we are using MS Office on a Mac, so what? I've been using it since the OS 8.6 days, bought every upgrade they released, and I love it. It enables me to accomplish a task, and that's all I care about. And it really doesn't matter to me who is it made by. Some choose NeoOffice as their tool, some prefer iWork, and I will go with MS Office. They are all great programs, it's just a matter of personal preference. Just let it be.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:14 AM   #18
Samwise592
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Samwise592
i just dont understand why people would want to pay for something they could get for free.... especially if that meant not giving money to a corporation... apple included.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:36 AM   #19
opuslab
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise592 View Post
i just dont understand why people would want to pay for something they could get for free.... especially if that meant not giving money to a corporation... apple included.
It's just a matter of a habit. I love Stella Artois, and I will never drink Miller just because some people think it's better and it costs less. I am not saying Stella is better, I just happen to like it more than other brands, as simple as that. When it comes to using a program, we're all used to a certain workflow, toolset, look, etc.. Changing to a different program always involves a learning curve (even if a very minor one), which some people would rather not go through. Everybody is doing things their way, and speaking personally, I won't look for a new program unless the one I am using doesn't fulfill my needs.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:04 PM   #20
darwinian
macrumors 6502a

I don't use Office programs a lot, but I vaguely remember Office 2004 always having a sluggish UI, which was more annoying than anything. OpenOffice/NeoOfficeJ suffered from this too until recently, in my experience.

Anyway, I'd be on board if this relatively simple issue was alleviated satisfactorily in 08.
darwinian is offline   0
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:14 PM   #21
pbbaker123
macrumors regular

Good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuslab View Post
There we go, the hate word again... So, we are using MS Office on a Mac, so what? I've been using it since the OS 8.6 days, bought every upgrade they released, and I love it. It enables me to accomplish a task, and that's all I care about. And it really doesn't matter to me who is it made by. Some choose NeoOffice as their tool, some prefer iWork, and I will go with MS Office. They are all great programs, it's just a matter of personal preference. Just let it be.
Some of us are power Excel users and don't just keep lists of our favorite movies and such...

Most spread sheets of certain sophistication cannot be run by any Mac program... Excel 2004 will open them, but with errors... nothing else will even open them... why? because of Visual Basic coding and heavy macro use...

So, before you bash me for my thoughts, and yes, they are very negative towards MS, realize that corporate users are TOTALLY screwed by MS after 4 damn years of development!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total crap on us....

But I can see your point, my wife who is a home and SB user, has no qualms with an MS products....
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:16 PM   #22
pbbaker123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise592 View Post
Look, I have iWork 08, Office 2004, NeoOffice, too.

Great. Not one of them is compatible beyond basic "home user" functionality.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:34 PM   #23
opuslab
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbaker123 View Post
Most spread sheets of certain sophistication cannot be run by any Mac program...
Looks like the Windows is the only solution to this sophistication. And that would be a completely different forum.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 05:19 PM   #24
2hondas
macrumors regular

When is the exact date of release?

EDIT: January 15th.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:24 AM   #25
pbbaker123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuslab View Post
Looks like the Windows is the only solution to this sophistication. And that would be a completely different forum.
Probably, I am just mad as crap at MSFT!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion