Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitaldrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007

macMonte

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
I try to wrap my head around what is the best option RAM set-up for my Mac Pro, but if someone could offer me some advice it would be much appreciated. I have 4X512mb in my Mac Pro right now. If I buy 2X2gb of RAM (bringing it to 6GB total), what order should I place them in the two different risers? A1&2, B1&2, A3&4, B3&4.

The Crucial Memory sticks seem to get good reviews on New Egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148046

...this is the link to the 2X1GB modules, awaiting some reviews for the 2GB's....

jroad

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
I try to wrap my head around what is the best option RAM set-up for my Mac Pro, but if someone could offer me some advice it would be much appreciated. I have 4X512mb in my Mac Pro right now. If I buy 2X2gb of RAM (bringing it to 6GB total), what order should I place them in the two different risers? A1&2, B1&2, A3&4, B3&4.

The Crucial Memory sticks seem to get good reviews on New Egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148046

...this is the link to the 2X1GB modules, awaiting some reviews for the 2GB's....

Here's a Mac Pro Memory Layout Diagram:

I recently ordered some OWC apple qualified Mac Pro ram from macsales.com and the heatsinks looked identical to the stock Apple ram, which was not always the case.

macMonte

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
this chart is awesome! thank you. just curious though, from left to right, did you organize the configurations based on best performance? I found my would-be configuration at 6C, is 6A's layout more efficient?

jroad

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
I didn't make the chart, but yes the most optimal configurations are on the left.
According to Anantech, "For the most part, there's no benefit to having all four channels populated, but in some rare cases the performance boost can be tremendous."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.