Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
i'd waited about a month after deciding to get a mac (i was looking at getting a macbook), initially waiting for leopard to be released. Once it had been released there was alot of speculaton about a new ultra-portable notebook being released so i decided to wait a little while to see what happened. the macbook was updated, and in my eyes adequate enough to justify buying one. i knew there was still alot of rumors going around still about the portable notebook being released, but i just thought if i wait forever to buy a mac because of rumors and speculation i'd never buy one, so early december i got my new SR macbook.

now its getting closer to macworld and there are so many rumors going around of the new portable notebook going around, is anyone wishing they'd waited that little bit longer? sometimes i wish i had. the rumors are speculating around $1499, which is just a little more i paid for my white 2.2Ghz macbook, but i would have forked out the extra cash. but then again, i'm kinda glad i took the plunge and bought my macbook. i don't think they would have updated the macbook if they're planning on updating it again at macworld. also, some of the spec's of the new sub-notebook aren't as good as my macbook, maybe because you end up paying more for the portable-ness of it. also, some sources are claiming it to be more of a touchscreen-esque kinda of laptop, which wouldn't be something i'd be interested in.

so, what's other recent macbook buyers views on it all? wish you'd waited, or glad you bought one when you did? i think i'm more glad i bought mine when i did, but at the same time theres a little bit of me wishing i had waited, but who knows. either way january the 14th i'll be either shaking my head in disappointment, or nodding in relief i did the right thing.

agpetz

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
I bought my macbook after Thanksgiving, and have loved it so far. No issues at all. Depending on what comes out the 15th, I may have some buyers remorse, but none right now. For the price, the macbook is a tough product to beat.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
If you allow me a word of advice: Don't ruin a beautiful Sunday morning -- you wrote this at around 7:30am -- worrying about the devaluation a gadget!

Your machine is excellent and enviable -- enjoy it until you buy your next one!

Goodmorning!

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
just to let everyone know i'm no uber geek who gets up t half 7 on a sunday morning. I'm in the UK, so i wrote this at half 12 in the afternoon :)

on a different topic, i'll actually be able to watch the macworld keynote at 5 o clock in the evening due to the time difference :)

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
The question on the table is:

Do you want an ultra-portable that has (most likely) a slow Intel Processor (1.2-1.4GHz??) , or do you want power and speed from your 2.2GHz MB?

Paul Wright

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Germany
if you keep waiting you really wont get one, because after something has been released, rumors start again. I had this trouble when i bought my MacBook last year but once you get one you should just enjoy it while you can.

Its like everything there are always new products coming out.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
The question on the table is:

Do you want an ultra-portable that has (most likely) a slow Intel Processor (1.2-1.4GHz??) , or do you want power and speed from your 2.2GHz MB?

Exactly what I have been thinking. Also, how big of a hard drive do people really think will be in this "Ultra-pro-table". Why would an device of this nature have more than say 32-64 GB if its main purpose is supplemental to a home-based machine(if that is the idea?)?

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I will have to like the specs or I will keep what I have and wait for the next best thing :) I also have a arm issue, cant hold to much with it.....so smaller is better for me.........

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I bought my first mac (2.2 white macbook) 2 days after christmas. I have zero regrets! I love this thing!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
The only thing I regret is that the graphics card is rubbish. I can't play Portals. Other than that it's a fantastic machine.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Those of you who are students...

You do know, that if you buy your MacBooks and MacBookPro's at an AppleStore (not authorised reseller) and you bring your valid Student ID for University, with you.. you can get like 14-15% off the listed price!!

jaded-mandarin

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
UK
Those of you who are students...

You do know, that if you buy your MacBooks and MacBookPro's at an AppleStore (not authorised reseller) and you bring your valid Student ID for University, with you.. you can get like 14-15% off the listed price!!

you also get insane discount of applecare.

i got around £100 off my macbook and picked up applecare for £60.

ls10flpanyc

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
you also get insane discount of applecare.

i got around £100 off my macbook and picked up applecare for £60.

Yeah, definitely - I ordered mine Thursday through the education store online and got $100 off the stock price. Upgrading to 250GB was $135 instead of $150. And, I haven't purchased it yet because I figure I can always get it later, but Applecare is offered at $183 instead of $249.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Something to remember for those who love their MBs, but aren't sure if they could have gotten a better deal later: No matter what, your MB won't suddenly work less well, regardless of what comes out at MW.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
You gotta learn to be happy with what you've got, otherwise it'd be highly challenging (financially, mentally and even possibly physically) to keep up with the rapidly advancing technology.

Sceneshifter

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
No regrets, this baby is screeaaaaaming fast :) The only reason I could possibly regret it is if with THIS update (not the one in 6 months) all of a sudden allows for 8GB of RAM.. The GPU means balls to me, CPU & RAM and stability is what I needed, and was the same as the low end MBP

T-Mac

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Tennessee
Bought mine shortly before Thanksgiving -- no regrets. I am liking it more every day. I don't think we'll see a MacBook replacement. I still need the large hard drive and the built-in superdrive, so the ultra-portable that's being rumored doesn't make me wish I'd waited.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Love my MacBook

I got my MacBook for Christmas and I am loving it. I have no need for a Pro, even that it comes with a better graphics card. The games that I play are old enough that they fly on this machine.

I also got the AppleCare with my student discount. WOW with that price I thought it was just fide to get it. :D

Hugh

Hexernex

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Zero Remorse

I have no remorse towards the purchase of my MacBook! I will never go back to Vista or XP, even Windows for that matter! The mac has proven me wrong on all the bad things I used to say about it in the past! I adore it! and I would be crushed if anything should happen to it!

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
yeah no point in waiting....after MWSF...people will start looking forward to the NEXT macbook update..which will probably be around may/june...and then the imac update..oo then maybe a MBP update..o look its MWSF 09...hmm should i wait or should i buy?

Just because a new more powerful machine is released, does not make the old one any worse off.

But having said that...it'd be silly to buy now if anyone was thinking about buying..as its only a week away!

Winglet

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
Upstate, NY
I have no regret. I bought my 15" MBP in December and it is awesome!

It does all I need it to do and more. One of the reasons I bought it was because of the size of the display. Coming from a 13" Vaio, it is so much better and just a little bit heavier to carry around. I'll take it. I don't ever see myself going back to a Windows based machine! To me a smaller MBP would defeat the purpose. I had smaller and it was too small for even email and light word processing, IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.