Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider claims that "reliable" sources have indicated that Apple will be introducing a new 30" High Definition display in November, featuring a new aluminum based display casing. The 17" LCD is said to be discontiuned at that time.

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret posted an unconfirmed report earlier today that suggests that Apple LCD case revisions are not expected, but merely refreshed internal components.

The 30" Apple LCD rumor first appeared on our 2002 Rumor Reject list. Two rumor items (iTunes Music Store and Keynote) have since come true from that list. The 30" LCD rumor was later revived in March 2003 with an unconfirmed resolution from the now-defunct MacWhispers.com.

Both sites hint at iBook and eMac revisions later this year.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
No 17". I don't think so.
Apple needs entry level display for people that are buying PowerMacs and even notebooks. Without 17", the lowest priced apple display would be 20" at almost $2,000 CAD.

Maybe they will replace 17" with 17" wide? :confused:

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by tutubibi
No 17". I don't think so.
Apple needs entry level display for people that are buying PowerMacs and even notebooks. Without 17", the lowest priced apple display would be 20" at almost $2,000 CAD.

Maybe they will replace 17" with 17" wide? :confused:

If the 17 is discontinued, there's nothing to say that Apple wouldn't drop the price of the 20"

Even still, I doubt the 17 will be dropped.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
yeah i can't see them dropping the 17" either...unless it's just not selling at all. maybe they are dropping it to replace it with a 17" widescreen display?

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Would a 30" screen even be practical?

I mean, how useable would a screen that size be? You would have to constantly turn your head back and forth just to see each edge of the screen.

1adonis1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Apple dropping prices?!?!? First the Cubs make the playoffs...now this!:)
Originally posted by Peyote
If the 17 is discontinued, there's nothing to say that Apple wouldn't drop the price of the 20"

Even still, I doubt the 17 will be dropped.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Would a 30" screen even be practical?

I mean, how useable would a screen that size be? You would have to constantly turn your head back and forth just to see each edge of the screen.

2400x1500

That's why it's usable. Multi-display systems are the standard in my company, and on a good percentange of power-user's home systems. That resolution contains roughly the number of pixels of three 1280x1024 displays (usually 17"-19") in a large format. For users who need multiple windows (code, consoles, web pages, design programs, etc...) this could be an attractive offering. And no screen bezels to get in the way.

On the other hand, I like to have my three LCD's in a curved formation so that each screen is equidistant from my eyes. Having a widescreen of that size *might* be disorienting, but you wouldn't catch me complaining.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
New widescreen 17"?

I CAN see the 17" going away--IF it gets replaced by a NEW 17". A widescreen, I'd say, just like the iMac/AlBook.

And all the displays really need a new non-clear look to match the pro towers. Same with the keyboards and mice. (I know, that would make for 4 keyboards AND 4 mice from Apple!)

(As for MacWhispers... it seems to have been little more than a prolonged, painful hoax, created to drive traffic to companies owned by the same guy.)

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by 1adonis1
Apple dropping prices?!?!? First the Cubs make the playoffs...now this!:)

Apple drops prices regularly on older technology such as a 17" screen.

immac

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
OOOFAH, that's perty BIG......
I woulda' been happy with a "new improved" 23 that I could rotate vertically..

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Even if it isn't practical, people will buy it, even if for no other reason than to say they have the biggest LCD Apple sells. Apple certainly doesn't aim their products and the middle class- several thousand dollars for a monitor?

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by aphexist
2400x1500

That's why it's usable. Multi-display systems are the standard in my company, and on a good percentange of power-user's home systems. That resolution contains roughly the number of pixels of three 1280x1024 displays (usually 17"-19") in a large format. For users who need multiple windows (code, consoles, web pages, design programs, etc...) this could be an attractive offering. And no screen bezels to get in the way.

On the other hand, I like to have my three LCD's in a curved formation so that each screen is equidistant from my eyes. Having a widescreen of that size *might* be disorienting, but you wouldn't catch me complaining.

The resolution of the screen has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I know what resolution is and how it works. I'm not talking about the physical size of the things on the screen. I'm talking about the screen being so wide that in order to look from one edge of the screen to the other you're gonna have to turn your head quite a bit. POSSIBLY enough so that it's not practical. In all likelyhood, most people with a screen that big would just end up putting most windows and floating pallettes on one side of the screen or just in the center so they don't have to turn their heads. But then you're defeating the purpose of the screen size. I just don't see it being practical enough to use. I think the 23" screen is the perfect size.

The only instance I could see using a 30" screen would be for video editing, or when a home user wants to use the screen for tv watching as well. That I could dig. Assuming Apple put out a screen that could display both VGA and NTSC with good quality.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In all likelyhood, most people with a screen that big would just end up putting most windows and floating pallettes on one side of the screen or just in the center so they don't have to turn their heads. But then you're defeating the purpose of the screen size. I just don't see it being practical enough to use.

I disagree

https://www.macrumors.com/downloads/darkscreen.jpg

arn

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
As someone who uses Macs for graphic design, music recording and video editing I would love to have a 30 inch monitor. I likely couldn't afford one, but the good news would be the 23 inch monitor would drop in price and I could get one of those (next year, when I get a dual 3ghz G5). Price drops are always a given with monitors.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
MacWhispers shut down

Originally posted by nagromme

(As for MacWhispers... it seems to have been little more than a prolonged, painful hoax, created to drive traffic to companies owned by the same guy.)

And now it strangely points to yourmaclife.com and there's also this website exposing the owner. I wish I could find out who's responsible, the stories are hillarious.

http://www.jackwhispers.com

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Where do you live Arn, I've been wanting a 23" for a while now....looks like you've got an extra one I'd love to take off your hands!

they're 20"s actually. But more screen space is like RAM. You can never have too much. :)

Obviously, the 30" display will be for Apple's high end market.... but I'm sure there are those who want/need it.

arn

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
what better way to make use of osx's ability to run multiple apps without crashing than to be able to see all the apps running without crashing?

I'm in.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by machan
As someone who uses Macs for graphic design, music recording and video editing I would love to have a 30 inch monitor. I likely couldn't afford one, but the good news would be the 23 inch monitor would drop in price and I could get one of those (next year, when I get a dual 3ghz G5). Price drops are always a given with monitors.

Well yeah, I think everyone would love to have a 30" monitor. My point is only Is it practical? I HIGHLY doubt that monitor will cost 1999 like the 23" now does. My guess would be more like $2500. At that point is it practical? I mean, I'd love to have a Lambourghini (sp?), but do people find that car practical? Would it be worth it for Apple to invest the time and R&D into a product that is really just a status symbol? I agree that to an extent, Macs are status symbols, but at what point does it start to become less about usability, and more about "wow"...at which point IMHO, it becomes impractical.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Along with USB 2.0 ports, stunning color, and faster refresh rates, the new displays will sport an aluminum motif consisting of less body and more screen, sources said. The units will reportedly feature improvements to their versatility and weigh much less than the current models.

Sounds good to me. Lighter, less body, and more screen.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Now if only they could make the frame of their LCDs Narrower. When putting to Apple branded LCD side by side, you got a pretty big GAP between adjacent screen edges. Could they make the frame as thin (or even thinner?) as powerbooks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.