Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ls10flpanyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I am new here, although not new to Macs (have had several for the last 14 years), and just ordered a black Macbook after having to spend the last 3 months on an awful Sony Vaio. Although I opted to splurge on the 250GB HDD, I decided (probably like most it seems) I would buy more RAM and install it myself, rather than spending the absurd amount that Apple charges (what are they thinking??).

Anyway, I found this site and this 4GB option, and I just wanted to get opinions on this company/this memory from anyone here who is probably more experienced at upgrading RAM than I am: http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_memory-information/4GB_Kit_DDR2667_SODIMMs_Econo_190Ex2.asp

I just want to make sure it's reliable, and maybe if anyone else has ordered from them, or maybe even ordered that same option, it'd be great to know it won't break after the year warranty or ruin my new Macbook. Thanks!

ls10flpanyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Do you suggest the DMS lifetime warranty because it is actually different, or just because it is more secure to have the lifetime warranty?

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I wouldn't buy any RAM without a lifetime warranty. My 4 GB of G.Skill for $80 has one.

To be honest I don't know if I would go that far. RAM is pretty stout piece of hardware with no moving parts that is always kept securely in place if installed correctly. There is little to go wrong and I would never buy an add-on lifetime warranty for RAM. Nor after 3-4 years would I bother even redeeming the lifetime warranty, RAM is pretty cheap these days and new stuff is coming out all the time.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
To be honest I don't know if I would go that far. RAM is pretty stout piece of hardware with no moving parts that is always kept securely in place if installed correctly. There is little to go wrong and I would never buy an add-on lifetime warranty for RAM. Nor after 3-4 years would I bother even redeeming the lifetime warranty, RAM is pretty cheap these days and new stuff is coming out all the time.
I've never bought an add-on warranty for RAM. Some manufacturers have "budget" RAM with 1 year warranties. It's worth paying a few dollars more to get the manufacturers lifetime warranty.

See, im a sucker, I paid apple for my 4GB ram.... <.< >.> seemed easier :p
Wow, do you start your fires with US$100 bills? I want your job.

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
I did spent the $700 to up from the 2GB to 4 via Apple.
Probably wasn't the smartest thing i've ever done, but certainly wasn't the dumbest XD

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
It was one of those things where I was more interested in it coming ready to go rather than having to open it up etc.

Also the fact that pre this dll thing, my assumption was you could only find RAM at a "great" price on eBay, and I dont do ebay.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Kelly™;4706679 said:
It was one of those things where I was more interested in it coming ready to go rather than having to open it up etc.

Also the fact that pre this dll thing, my assumption was you could only find RAM at a "great" price on eBay, and I dont do ebay.
I suggest that you do some research at various reputable online dealers for computer hardware.

I just bought my MacBook at stock. I've upgraded to 4 GB for dirt cheap and I'll get a hard drive down the road if I need it.

I'm quite saddened at the expenditure that you made but it looks like you can afford to pay that much for the same RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.