Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazkom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
scotland
i am having trouble getting it to open when i have installed it, has anyone else had problems? if so how did you over come it? it says something about the graphics being wrong, i only got me new macbook yesterday so it is up to date. cant understand why it is not working, somebody please help.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
i am having trouble getting it to open when i have installed it, has anyone else had problems? if so how did you over come it? it says something about the graphics being wrong, i only got me new macbook yesterday so it is up to date. cant understand why it is not working, somebody please help.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I had no such problems. However, I can't help you if all you're going to say is "it says something about the graphics being wrong". Care to give some more information about the EXACT message it's giving?

will80

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
UK
I am having similar problems as well. I get a message saying:

'DrawSproket cannot switch to the requested resolution (640 x 460, 16 bit, 1 buffer(s))

Make sure your computer meets the display requirements in the read me file'

I have tried changing the the resolution and I get the same message and my macbook is only a few weeks old so I think it meets the requirements.

Anyone know how to fix it?

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Well, try switching to 640x480 AND 16-bit color. 16-bit color is also known as "thousands of colors". Actually, now that I think of it I haven't played since I upgraded to Leopard, and a lot of people seem to be unable to play on Leopard as well. As soon as I locate my CD I'll try it out.

will80

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
UK
It only lists millions. There is the option of 256 colours but the drop down box wont let me click on it so I cannot change it.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
After launching Age of Empire II, immediately hold the command (Apple) key. A setup dialogue should appear giving you the option to play in 256 colours.

If that doesn't work, try other options to do with the display such as "Don't switch screen resolution for movies" and "Don't play startup movies"

Also you may need to update to the latest version:

Macsoft Support

Good Luck! :)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
No NO, here's the what you HAVE TO DO

There is a patch you MUST download and install. I have reloaded AOE II on a computer before, forgot about the patch, and became very frustrated, until 3 hours later a light pops, "OH YEAH, Download the Patch!" I know the file is title "AoE2-1 Updater" and you have to download it from Microsoft or maybe C-Net

will80

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
UK
Thank you it worked. I appreciate the help :D

I already had the patch because I thought it would help the problem. But I put it on 256 colours and took the movies off and it worked when you change the resolution to 640 X 480

Thanks

kazkom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
scotland
hey heyi went to the apple shop where i bought the game and the macbook, and they tried and it doesnt work just now, how silly is that? a game that you cant play, and you cant return it when oyu have opened it, anyways they say that there will be a patch that works soon, so if anyone hears of the patch that works on leapord let us know, also i cant get my hotmail to open on my mac so having to use my rubbish toshiba to open emails and it takes so long, microsoft? microhard. lol

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Did you download the 1.0.5 update from the link I posted?

Did you hold down the Apple key before starting the game like I suggested?

As for your mail question, make sure your selecting hotmail from the new account list.

kazkom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
scotland
After launching Age of Empire II, immediately hold the command (Apple) key. A setup dialogue should appear giving you the option to play in 256 colours.

If that doesn't work, try other options to do with the display such as "Don't switch screen resolution for movies" and "Don't play startup movies"

Also you may need to update to the latest version:

Macsoft Support

Good Luck! :)

This is what worked.

Sucked I had to do it like this but thanks mate!

mrsite

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Did you get Age of Empires 2 working in multiplayer mode with this work around?

If so, could you play on a LAN?

If so, could you play on Gameranger?

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
How do I set the AoK graphic settings to the 1280x1024 on an iMac with 1580x1068 resolution? It should work, but the box is grayed out, even though the iMac is perfectly capable?

And how do I play with custom AI's in multiplayer? I play on LAN, and some of the custom AI's, which are really good in single-player, I want to put in multiplayer. But when I make a scenario and select the AI and try to save it, AoK quits. It does the same on my Macbook. I've made scenarios without custom AI in the past that work fine.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Did you get Age of Empires 2 working in multiplayer mode with this work around?

If so, could you play on a LAN?

If so, could you play on Gameranger?

Not sure who your asking…I have had AOE 2 working in LANs and on Gameranger.

Works great but even with the update I still get out of sync errors with more than 3 (Human) players, and the game does not let me rejoin them when hosting from Tiger/Leopard. Everything was fine in Panther I believe.
I have gotten through hours long games perfectly with no out of sync errors with 3 human players.

I don't think you can play 2 or more macs over the internet via gameranger because each computer will have the same IP address. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :)

How do I set the AoK graphic settings to the 1280x1024 on an iMac with 1580x1068 resolution? It should work, but the box is grayed out, even though the iMac is perfectly capable?

And how do I play with custom AI's in multiplayer? I play on LAN, and some of the custom AI's, which are really good in single-player, I want to put in multiplayer. But when I make a scenario and select the AI and try to save it, AoK quits. It does the same on my Macbook. I've made scenarios without custom AI in the past that work fine.

Not sure on that one. I have experienced the same resolution problem. The box is grayed. If you look, that grayed resolution shouldn't be in your displays preference pane even though it is smaller that your native resolution. There are 3rd party hacks to enable more resolutions in the Apple displays preference pane, but I have been unsuccessful (got Kernel Panics).

If you haven't downloaded the update you really should maybe that will fix your AI problems.

mrsite

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Not sure who your asking…I have had AOE 2 working in LANs and on Gameranger.

Works great but even with the update I still get out of sync errors with more than 3 (Human) players, and the game does not let me rejoin them when hosting from Tiger/Leopard. Everything was fine in Panther I believe.
I have gotten through hours long games perfectly with no out of sync errors with 3 human players.

I don't think you can play 2 or more macs over the internet via gameranger because each computer will have the same IP address. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Not sure who I was asking either, but it didn't quite seem to need a new thread. Thanks for the answer that you have successfully played AOE 2 (or AOK) on LANs and Gamranger using Leopard. I can live without Acrobat Professional (I have version 7) as I jump into Leopard fulltime, but I don't want to give up AOE2!

BTW, I have actually played AOE 2 through one Internet connection on the same LAN through Gameranger. I wanted to make sure Gameranger accounts were working before traveling. It worked fine under Tiger.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
On a correction of what I said earlier:

I don't think you can play 2 or more macs over the internet via gameranger because each computer will have the same IP address. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I am meaning I don't think you can play online with two macs sharing the same internet connection and IP address against somebody else.

(ie, Two people in one house can't play against another person in another house because the first two share the same IP)

mrsite

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Not sure who I was asking either, but it didn't quite seem to need a new thread. Thanks for the answer that you have successfully played AOE 2 (or AOK) on LANs and Gamranger using Leopard. I can live without Acrobat Professional (I have version 7) as I jump into Leopard fulltime, but I don't want to give up AOE2!
Heads up to whoever is looking at this thread.
From GameRanger:
"Mac OS X 10.5.2 Warning

If you play Age of Empires II, do not update to 10.5.2. Something has changed with Rosetta in 10.5.2 that makes AoEII go out of sync with players from all previous system versions."

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah I'll stick with the OS I got on this computer (not Leopard) until I see that everyone is happy with the Leopard fixes.

Is there a patch for AOE2 so that you don't need to put in the CD (similiar to UT2003's)?

jjostes89

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
i downloaded the patch i tried to change the resolution and it still didnt work i still got this message

DrawSproket cannot switch to the requested resolution (640 x 460, 16 bit, 1 buffer(s))

I have tried changing the the resolution and I get the same message and my macbook is only a few weeks old so I think it meets the requirements.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
i downloaded the patch i tried to change the resolution and it still didnt work i still got this message

DrawSproket cannot switch to the requested resolution (640 x 460, 16 bit, 1 buffer(s))

That is because you have updated to 10.5.3 and Apple decided to take out 256 color support... no fix that I know of. I am having same issue with Diablo 2...

Sweep'n Streets

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Directly from MacSoft's website (http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/aoe2.html) :

"If you own a MacBook Pro or iMac and are receiving an error stating "Could not initialize graphics system" or "DrawSprocket cannot switch to the requested resolution"

We are aware of the problem and are actively working with Apple to get this problem resolved as quickly as possible.Thank you for your patience, and keep an eye on this page for an update to get Age of Empires 2 working on these machines. "

jjostes89

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Directly from MacSoft's website (http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/aoe2.html) :

"If you own a MacBook Pro or iMac and are receiving an error stating "Could not initialize graphics system" or "DrawSprocket cannot switch to the requested resolution"

We are aware of the problem and are actively working with Apple to get this problem resolved as quickly as possible.Thank you for your patience, and keep an eye on this page for an update to get Age of Empires 2 working on these machines. "

you said your working on the macbook pro and imac i assume it will work just for the regular macbook as well

Scott Kevill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2006
On a correction of what I said earlier:

I am meaning I don't think you can play online with two macs sharing the same internet connection and IP address against somebody else.

(ie, Two people in one house can't play against another person in another house because the first two share the same IP)

A bit late, but the thread itself is recent.

Normally, you are likely to have problems with this kind of situation, however, with GameRanger, it just works. :)

Scott.

MayaMachine

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
I've got the same issue. I just got my new Macbook Pro 3 days ago, and went on ahead and attempted to install AEOII Gold, and without getting that patch talked about on the upper part of this thread, it goes to the error:

"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw.
Error"

So then I got that update, and changed the option to play in 256 colors on, and I could then watch the intro movies (without disabling them), but then I get this error once their done:

"Drawsprocket cannot switch to the requested relolution (800x600, 8 bit, 1 buffer)s)).

Make sure your computer meets the display requirements specified in the Read Me file."

ONE THING: I tried to change my resolution in my system preferences down to 800x600, and 640x480, or whatever they are ( as well as changing from millions of colors to thousands). Is this what you guys mean by changing the resolution? or is it in the settings when you hold down command when you launch AOEII... kuz if you do, I don't get that option.

I don't understand how some of you are getting it to work with leopard. Is it just my MBP that's holding me back, or has somebody succesfully gotten it to work on a MBP with leopard? (please note that I did read the comment above that says that if your on a macbook pro and are getting the error, then your basically screwed...; I just want to hear if ANYBODY has done it :) )

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get gaming again. Haven't played for a couple years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.