Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
Hi there.

I have a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002 with 867MHz processor. I maxed my RAM to 1.5 GB and I have 2 internal hard drives.

Hard drive #1 is running Panther (OS X 10.3.9) on it and is the smaller drive with 40GB.

Hard drive #2 is running Jaguar (OS X 9.2.2) with 120 GB.

I have final cut 2 on my HD2 (its very slow and not efficient or fun to use cuz it keeps on crashing).

I bought Tiger (OS X 10.4) and I am upgrading my HD1.

This is what I want to do....

I want to get Final Cut 3.5 for use with the Tiger OS.....Can someone please advise me?

What do I need to make this work for me?

Do I need a new PCI Express card or is the one that came in the computer enough?

Can I upgrade my processor so I'll be able to edit High Defnition (I saw one at fastmac.com for $269.95 - 1.53 GHz for Power Mac G4 AGP)? Will that work (my math puts it then at 2.4 GHz)?

Can I put another hard drive in there for storage of video or should I get an external hard drive for that? (How many internal hard drives can I put in my G4?)

Should I upgrade the Jaguar to Panther and then to Tiger on HD2 also?

I guess I should back up everything before I do anything...right? (itunes? iPhoto? What else?)

Oh yea, I want to install iLife'08. (I am dealing with iPhoto 2. No pix on my iPod.)

Whadya think? Is all of this do-able? Will I be able to make this work? Do I need more stuff?

I should probably get a new computer but my brother needs me to do some editing for him so he is buying and would rather not buy me a new computer.

I need to give him a complete list of what I am putting on his credit card! I don't want to need anything else when I am done with this list.

Thanks so much

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Instead of wasting all that money (including $250 on a processor), get a Mac Mini for $500 and an external firewire drive which will blow the G4 out of the water.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Yeah. I know it's hard mate, but at some point we all need to just let go. That point has come and gone when, as the above poster said, your machine is embarassed by the speed of the current entry level machine in stores.

I still have to hug my old powerbook at night sometimes because she is jealous of my younger Macbook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.