Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Australian Apple store down. Normally Tuesday evenings is when we see updates, Sunday nights are maintenance. So it might be something of note...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
UK store down too

That was up 2 minutes ago...mmm maybe this is something to stir up CES

US down

The timing could be to prepare for next week but then why not wait until the weekend to do that testing. Very curious to see if they through something out there for the CES news cycle.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
That was up 2 minutes ago...mmm maybe this is something to stir up CES

This could become a traditional piss all over the CES fire and then come Macworld piss all over it some more - although I think Gates did a good enough job on his own this year.

Have a coffee, have some lunch and then check back at 2 pm UK time - that's when the new products will be up - probably MacPro and MacBook Pro revisions.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Updates to the less exciting and less consumer oriented products (Mac Pro, XServe etc) to free up space in the MacWorld keynote for exciting consumer stuff.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
They will probably get some minor updates out of the way so they can concentrate on the major ones coming up in Macworld! Then again maybe they'll just release the big ones now and macworld will just be Stevey having a coffee (starbucks?) on stage and chatting to the audience about their holidays!

connect

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
update

Hopefully they'll update both the iMac and Apple TV as I'm going to buy tomorrow!! :D ;)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
most likely the usual suspects for silent upgrades, like mac mini and xserve ...

i suspect they want to make a bigger deal out of mac pro updates (which are long overdue)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
All over Europe, so this isn't an iPhone thing.

Many predicted the Mac Pro as a silent update a week before or after Mac World. Here it comes!

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Ditto. I always find it strange why it takes an hour plus for these updates. I am sure its a big deal but still it seems like a long time.

I'd say they use the time to test the site to make sure the updates all work fine, that every link is pointing where it should and that any new code does that its supposed to. Also maybe for last minute spell checking.

Also it gives them time to fix things if something goes wrong with the update. People make mistakes when rushed but when you know you have a whole hour to do it then you won't rush as much and have better results.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I'd say they use the time to test the site to make sure the updates all work fine, that every link is pointing where it should and that any new code does that its supposed to. Also maybe for last minute spell checking.

Also it gives them time to fix things if something goes wrong with the update. People make mistakes when rushed but when you know you have a whole hour to do it then you won't rush as much and have better results.

Oh no. You'd say it's new Mac Pros in a silent update. You would! Wouldn't you? I am sure you would.

COME ON MAC PRO

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia

Or, they know how it drives the fans wild.

excellent marketing strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.