Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Here's how you can install 3rd party Apps on a Mac over USB.

First, download and install Term-vt1000 from installer on a jailbroken iPod touch. Then do the following:

Code:
mv /Applications /private/var/root/Media/Applications

Hit enter and wait

Then do:
Code:
cd /

Hit enter

Then make a symlink to the newly moved folder by typing:
Code:
ln -s /private/var/root/Media/Applications Applications

Then restart your iPod to ensure everything is okay (I did this exact thing on my iPod and I was fine)

Then download iPhoneDrive and run it. Then, click Settings and enable "Advanced Mode"

There you have it... All on a Mac.

If you screw up your iPod while doing this, its not my responsibility... So if you don't feel comfortable with these commands, don't do it. You've been warned.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I thought all you Mac people would be into this. Oh well... works very well for me... should I give you a link to iPhoneDrive?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks TheSpaz! That worked great. Now I can access my Apps without using wifi... nice job!

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
I think it may the combination of 'scary Terminal commands' and that iPhoneDrive is only a trial and you have to pay real money if you want to carry on using it :(

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I think it may the combination of 'scary Terminal commands' and that iPhoneDrive is only a trial and you have to pay real money if you want to carry on using it :(

Yeah, because nobody likes to pay for useful software... everyone wants everything to be free. I purchased iPhoneDrive because it is wonderful, easy to use and most of all STABLE, and it only costs $10 people... who has money for an iPod touch but, can't afford $10 shareware?

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Haha, it's also the hassle involved with buying things online when there are free and quicker things to install and get going.
However, iPhoneDrive does look very good.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Haha, it's also the hassle involved with buying things online when there are free and quicker things to install and get going.
However, iPhoneDrive does look very good.

I love it.

helmsc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Newport, TN
just got my iphone jailbroken, have term-vt1000 installed
it's asking for a login and password...tried root/alpine and root/dottie
any ideas?

cjd82187

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
you can just make an ad hoc connection on your mac and connect to it with your touch. Then SSH to it at the IP your Mac is giving it. No extra software required =)

Oh, to make an ad hoc connection, go to Airport and click create a connection and it will ask for an SSID and a password if you want one. It should show up on the touch as a WiFi connection and you are good to go.

helmsc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Newport, TN
you can just make an ad hoc connection on your mac and connect to it with your touch. Then SSH to it at the IP your Mac is giving it. No extra software required =)

Oh, to make an ad hoc connection, go to Airport and click create a connection and it will ask for an SSID and a password if you want one. It should show up on the touch as a WiFi connection and you are good to go.

Not exactly what this topic is about. The topic is WITHOUT WIFI.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005

This topic is only for like the last ditch effort because even after you drag the Application to the Applications folder in iPhoneDrive, you have to use the Term-vt100 to change the permissions to chmod 755 so it's kind of a pain to install Apps this way.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
still doesn't solve my issue :(

As soon as I open vterm, it asks for a password. Any ideas?

When you jailbroke, did you specify a password?

Also, you can change your password in the terminal with
Code:
passwd yourpasswordhere

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
didn't change password, been using "alpine" through the whole jailbreak writeup.

You didn't install BSD SubSystem 2.0 did you? That has major problems on 1.1.2. I had to go and install BSD SubSystem 1.5 instead to clear everything up. I couldn't even use the mv command.

helmsc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Newport, TN
thanks for the link. i'll try it when i get a wifi connection from somewhere (had to "borrow" a wireless router from my school for the jailbreak). Just one perk of being the tech ;)

cjd82187

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007

I know it is with no WiFi but if you are plugging your phone or touch into a computer that can suolpport it it probably has a wireless card just maybe no access point in range. That's wat my method was for.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yeah, because nobody likes to pay for useful software... everyone wants everything to be free. I purchased iPhoneDrive because it is wonderful, easy to use and most of all STABLE, and it only costs $10 people... who has money for an iPod touch but, can't afford $10 shareware?

who has the money for an ipod touch but cant afford a wifi setup is the question...

lol if you dont have wifi, meaning you hook your comp up via ethernet or something, you can still use the computers wireless card to emit to other devices....via share internet

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
who has the money for an ipod touch but cant afford a wifi setup is the question...

lol if you dont have wifi, meaning you hook your comp up via ethernet or something, you can still use the computers wireless card to emit to other devices....via share internet

Not everyone has wireless cards in their computers. My computer at work here has no wireless card and I'm not near any wifi hotspots... so this is the only way I can get it to work reliably. You can also use Disk for iPhone which is free but, incredibly buggy and unstable... so I wouldn't recommend using it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Not everyone has wireless cards in their computers. My computer at work here has no wireless card and I'm not near any wifi hotspots... so this is the only way I can get it to work reliably. You can also use Disk for iPhone which is free but, incredibly buggy and unstable... so I wouldn't recommend using it.

lol you shouldnt be playing around at work haha :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.