Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Ok this is the deal. I bought this microphone in a pawn shop, its actualyl from radio shack, its a singing microphone(the ones that rappers us i guess). And i bought a cable that runs from the microphone to the 1/8 hole in the computer. I had to buy a adapter to make it fit, cuz the cable was to big. But when i plug it in i hear juts a pop and i cant hear nothing when i say somthing in the mic. And when i take it out its also another pop and again when i put it in i hear a pop but i hear no sounds. SO how do i make my mic work on my computer? so i can hear my voice threw my speakers? plz help

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
The 1/8 jack on your Mac is not a Mic in, it is a line in and requires a much higher signal. You need a pre-amp to get it to work.

The iMic is a popular USB version.

Jan 30, 2006
I think you have to buy the iMic, not sure what does it makes, but they told me so at an Apple Store.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
The 1/8 jack on your Mac is not a Mic in, it is a line in and requires a much higher signal. You need a pre-amp to get it to work.

The iMic is a popular USB version.

yes...

And possibly (not probably) the mic needs power, which any decent pre would be able to provide.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Thanks BUT

Thanks for the replies but now i have a windows xp and i need that mic to work on the xp instead of the mac. But i bought a midi controller it should ship today here i think i need that to make it sound.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Thanks for the replies but now i have a windows xp and i need that mic to work on the xp instead of the mac. But i bought a midi controller it should ship today here i think i need that to make it sound.

a midi controller will have no sounds in it... it's just going to send midi information to something... and it has nothing to do with hooking up a mic

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
umm??

thats what the person todl me at the store. But what do you think i should do to make my microphone go to my windows xp and record lets say a song, what are all the things im gona need ?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface and has nothing to do with audio. Some MIDI interfaces offer audio as well, but MIDI is just a way for a computer and an instrument such as a keyboard to talk to each other.

The mic may work on a Windows machine, as many of them have a Mic Input that is powered. Just look at the inputs on the Windows computer and it typically is indicated by a little microphone icon to the side of the 1/8" jack. Other than that, just try the various inputs to see if one works.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
thats what the person todl me at the store. But what do you think i should do to make my microphone go to my windows xp and record lets say a song, what are all the things im gona need ?

well, some midi controllers have other things attached that could allow for this..

what did you actually buy (the brand / model)

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
ohh really ok
well i dont know how to make the mic then work threw my computer
anything you would suggest

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Or an iMic as mentioned earlier (works on Macs and PC's IIRC) and is much cheaper than the MAudio box listed.

what is that ????? what can i do with that
You plug it into your computer, and the mic into the interface (the item that was listed, or the iMic, etc.) and it will allow you to record audio via the mic to your computer.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yeah what is that thing called that you posted a url on
try to find it on ebay.
but i dont know i just need somthing to make this work and soo i can put my vocals into a instrumental you know soo what ever makes that work i want it

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yeah i have good mics but i just need this special mic to work i have a studio and all lined up but nothing at home soo i can mess around you can hear some of my song on myspace here
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...&MyToken=75f8a57a-8664-438e-9817-415ed2208926
but im just trying to have somthing at home for fun

what kind of quality will i get from this iMic thing, does it sound the same as the mic i got with the computer you know those small ones ????/

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
okey well i read it on ebay someone is selling and the description and all sounds good, im just gona buy it and hook up my mic i bought (the big one) and plug it in the computer and see what happens, ill come back and post somthing on here to tell you guys how it came up. But until then anything else suggestions or anything would help

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yeah its ok i mean if the mic sucks i have plenty new better ones but what i wana know is if i have lets say top notch mic will the iMic convert the quality bad or have it the same of what the mic gives you know. like does it chagne anything

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
yeah its ok i mean if the mic sucks i have plenty new better ones but what i wana know is if i have lets say top notch mic will the iMic convert the quality bad or have it the same of what the mic gives you know. like does it chagne anything

everything is going to affect the sound to some degree... if you don't want to affect the sound very much, you're going to be paying big bucks...

edit: and if you have a top notch mic, you're going to want a top notch preamp, and top notch converter ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.