Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Recently I installed the drop in version of Mac OS X Leopard on my MBP. Ever since, things have gotten pretty bad. Tiger was extremely reliable but all I am having with Leopard is problems.

One problem is the responsiveness of the computer. It just seems much more sluggish than before, and I am seeing the spinning color wheel a lot more. Programs almost seem to take longer to open too.

Another problem occurs when the battery gets low. The percentage icon for the battery seems to be messed up, and not very accurate. It will suddenly jump from 30% to 10% for example, in a short period of time. Then when it gets low enough to trigger the alert message (that I should plug it in) the normal window pops up. When I click OK though, the silhouette of the window remains and begins to flash, and my toolbar starts to flash. The computer is then basically unusable until I plug it in, and then everything returns to normal.

The worst problem is my applications quit unexpectedly all the time. I will be in the middle of something, the application will quit, and the "This application quit unexpectedly message". It occurs in many applications, notably: iPhoto, iTunes, iChat, Pages, Safari, and System Preferences. I haven't noticed any actions that really trigger it, except for hitting the delete key in iTunes. That always triggers it. It really has become more than a pain, because now I will be typing a paper in Pages and then lose everything when it quits. The quits happen about 5-7 times a day.

I'd appreciate any advice! I don't know that much on troubleshooting.

Thanks

Retired
May 16, 2006
Sounds like you did the upgrade install. I recommend you back up and do a fresh install :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Agreed, I second psychofreak's advice. Backup and then do a clean install of OS X instead of an OS X upgrade install.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Thanks for the advice. How would I go about doing that on a Mac? And will that drop in version of Leopard work for a fresh install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.