Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:14 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Sculley explains how he missed the chance to trash Apple

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Sculley explains how he missed the chance to trash Apple

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:30 AM   #2
1macker1
Banned

Hey this guy was put in charge of Apple because they thought he could run the show. He's just expressing what he thought what might have worked. Is he right or wrong, who knows, i think he's getting bashed for doing his job at the time
1macker1 is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2003, 12:43 PM   #3
GaelDesign
macrumors member

Sorry, Sculley just doesn't "get" Apple, it seems. I'm a Switcher -- I came to the Mac platform right when OS X first came out (2001). The reason I switched was BECAUSE of the Dells of this world. I was sick of Microsoft crap, sick of boring beige boxes, sick of ugly software, sick of hardware that doesn't work, sick of dealing with drivers and registries and other horrors. I wanted something that worked, was esthetically pleasing, and was developed by a company who actually gave a damn.

Apple is one of the few technologies that gives a damn. In spite of Steve Jobs' faults, there is one thing that I'm convinced he is sincere about: making cool products for cool people. If Apple had gone with Intel, tried to be like Dell, etc., it would NOT be a cool company. No way.

Apple's position of being the creative underdog who is fighting against the onslaught of mindless lemmings has kept the company alive -- its loyal followers belong to the Mac lifestyle because they are going against the grain. There isn't any "Dell" lifestyle, because, by definition, using a Dell computer is a non-choice. It's the "default" choice to make -- therefore, to buy Apple is to make a choice to buy something that will give you a completely different computing experience.

Again, Sculley just doesn't understand any of this. Apple isn't a failure, it's a success. It continues to change the entire PC industry, even thought it owns only 3-5% of the industry. That, my friends, is a testament to the power and the strength of the Apple brand and its community.

Regards,

Jared
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:31 AM   #4
Java
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Java
I think all of those Pepsi's finally got to Scully.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion