Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
My GF keeps clearing the history and I don't want her to clear Safari's history. I think she is up to no good. Also, any way to restore the history once it has been cleared? Thanks!

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
Take my girlfriend out of the equation and replace it with someone's kid. This might be something useful for parents who want to monitor kids' activities or prevent kids from erasing their internet activity

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Parental controls in Leopard allow you to monitor someone's surfing history.

However, in my experience they also slow things down horribly and arbitrarily ban sites that you don't want to ban.

If you just want to preserve your own history and not have her constantly erasing it, then set her up with her own account.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Could you get Time Machine to back up the browser cache folder? (Assuming you have Leopard and an external drive.)

Greg

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Quick and dirty approach - write a little bash script to copy the relevant history file(s) to some other place and set launchd to run it every minute (or whatever) when the computer's going to be used.

Evader

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
install a key logger. But I'm with the others, if u don't trust her then ditch her.

joshnegron

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Monitoring Safari history

Quick and dirty approach - write a little bash script to copy the relevant history file(s) to some other place and set launchd to run it every minute (or whatever) when the computer's going to be used.

How would I do what Zortrium described above??

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
In my opinion, the best way is to set up separate accounts. That way she won't be able to use "your" browser. ;)

donaldj

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I found this on the apple discussions:

Open Terminal and type this in:

open -a TextWrangler /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib/keyedobjects.nib

then search for

<key>NSSource</key>
<dict>
<key>CF$UID</key>
<integer>115</integer>
</dict>

Delete it. Have fun.

Nosrac

source

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I find it funny that people say dump her, you say you're looking for a reason...do you need a reason? Man up.

To watch her history I would simply use parental controls or keep her off your computer.

SideWays

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Is there a way to retrieve Safari History on an iPod Touch if I don't have a Mac? Does anyone know if there is an App I can install that will track Safari page visits?

Thanks.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Unless she is using your computer, or your account, what exactly gives you the right to do this?

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Load the machine with a keylogger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.