Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Ok.... I have a 20GB PS3 which means no Wi-Fi. We are using an Airport Express for our wireless network. Is it possible to buy a second Airport Express and plug the PS3 into it to use as a bridge?

(Please don't shoot me if this is a stupid question. I know absolutely nothing about wireless networks.)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok.... I have a 20GB PS3 which means no Wi-Fi. We are using an Airport Express for our wireless network. Is it possible to buy a second Airport Express and plug the PS3 into it to use as a bridge?

(Please don't shoot me if this is a stupid question. I know absolutely nothing about wireless networks.)

Yes. you can set up the second express to act as a wireless bridge/extender in the airport admin utilities :)

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I tried this. My Airport Express is connected to my Airport Extreme and if I want a semi-wired connection will work if I plug the PS3 into the Express.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Just make sure you have it set up as a proper base station and not in 'client mode' or 'wireless client'. :)

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Ok. Anyone willing to help me out?

I bought a second Airport Express. How exactly do I go about setting it up so that I can plug my PS3 into and get it connected. Right now I've got the Airport Express 2 connected to Airport Express 1. (Just extending the Wi-Fi range.) But I believe that I'm doing what iEdd told me not to do. How do I go about fixing it. Like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to wireless networks. :(:eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
manual setup

airport express 2

under airport, and then under wireless tab.

Wireless mode choose = Participate in a WDS network

then under WDS tab

WDS Mode = wds remote
WDS Main ID: put your airport express 1 mac address (can be found in summary if you don't know it)

That should be it for express 2.

-------

Then just make sure Airport Express 1 is configured too

Same procedure but under wireless

Wireless Mode = Participate in a WDS network

Then under WDS tab again

WDS Mode : = WDS main
Tick Allow Wireless Clients
WDS Remotes : = here you put in the mac address of the airport express 2

That should be it..

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
manual setup

airport express 2

under airport, and then under wireless tab.

Wireless mode choose = Participate in a WDS network

then under WDS tab

WDS Mode = wds remote
WDS Main ID: put your airport express 1 mac address (can be found in summary if you don't know it)

That should be it for express 2.

-------

Then just make sure Airport Express 1 is configured too

Same procedure but under wireless

Wireless Mode = Participate in a WDS network

Then under WDS tab again

WDS Mode : = WDS main
Tick Allow Wireless Clients
WDS Remotes : = here you put in the mac address of the airport express 2

That should be it..
Thanks for the reply.

Just a few more questions. Under the AirPort tab, halfway down is the AirPort Network section. And the top item is Wireless Mode. For this I have 3 options: Create a Wireless Network (Home Router), Join an Existing Wireless Network (Wireless Client), and Wireless disabled. I have no Participate in a WDS Network. Am I in the correct spot?

I left both as Create a Wireless Network and continued with your instructions. Everything else seemed fine, but in the end it said it couldn't get AE2 to join the network. Any ideas? Do I set up AE2 first (which I did)? Or does it matter?

By the way, I'm running Tiger on my MacBook. And AE1 is connected through a PPPoE. (Which I have no idea what that means.)

If I can get this working I'll forever be grateful! :) But it will have to wait for tomorrow before I try again. It's bed time for me! :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Sorry running I'm Leopard and on airport extreme :)

But this should help (fingers crossed)

For the second one so change it to 'join an existing wireless network' as that is basically what you want it to do if you think about it logically. You want it to join and use your existing AE1 network ;)

Leave the the other AE1 as 'create a wireless network' as that is what you want it to do.

Setup AE1 first, and then AE2.

Hope that makes sense :)

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Sounds like you are doing everything right as per MRUs instructions. This reminds me of when we first got our express, it took hours and by the end of it you hate that flashing orange light. Then we switched to WPA security and had to do it all over again. I think it gets #1 in the least user friendly setup of anything apple. It's just unnecessarily fiddly. :mad:

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Uggh! Tried to set it up tonight... And now I can't even access AE2. It keeps saying an error occurred during configuration. I've tried resetting the AE and nothing helps. :mad:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ If you need to connect to AE2 and have difficulties, use the ethernet cable from your computer. That should bypass and allow you to re-configure.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Ok. I got it reset and re-configured. The only problem is that once I configure it like you said above, it never seems to fully reboot. The computer never recognizes it unless I reset the AE.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Wait!!! I think I got it!!! I didn't need to set up AE2. Just AE1. When selecting the remote base stations, there is an auto-configure. So I reset AE2 and then just setup AE1 using the auto-configure and it worked! :D

Now to just get the PS3 connected....

Edit: GOT IT!!!! YAY!!!! Thank you so much, MRU, for taking the time to help me! I owe you! Where do I send the check. ;)

I HATE Windows!

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
Similar Problem...

I have a 40 gig PS3, and only have an Airport Express that connects to the internet, ON MY MAC, just fine, but ON MY PS3, it doesn't work. Do I also need another AirPort, or do I just need to configure things correctly?

Please help...

Thanks.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
I have a 40 gig PS3, and only have an Airport Express that connects to the internet, ON MY MAC, just fine, but ON MY PS3, it doesn't work. Do I also need another AirPort, or do I just need to configure things correctly?

Please help...

Thanks.
You won't need a second AirPort since the 40GB PS3 has wireless. Mine, being the 20GB, does not so I'm using a 2nd airport as the wireless card/bridge. You'll just have to figure out how to connect it. Unfortunately, I've never connected a 40GB so I really can't help you. :(

I HATE Windows!

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
You won't need a second AirPort since the 40GB PS3 has wireless. Mine, being the 20GB, does not so I'm using a 2nd airport as the wireless card/bridge. You'll just have to figure out how to connect it. Unfortunately, I've never connected a 40GB so I really can't help you. :(

Thanks, much appreciated...

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
I hate resurrecting old threads, but could someone really help me?

I have set up the Aiports as above.

But my Playstation 3's wireless signal % is 7% so even though I have the range extended on my computer (which gets full signal) the playstation seems to ignore the secondary airport.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.