Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Grunze
macrumors regular

Wireless Display

Hey folks,

So here is what I want to accomplish.. any suggestions?
I have a 24" iMac at my computer desk. I have a 40" sony bravia in my living room. They are about 30 feet apart. How can I use my TV as a display for my iMac without having to move my iMac. I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of wireless way to transmit screen data to my tv from my computer.. is there some way to do with withe something like a sling box or so...

(and I have a wireless keyboard and nouse, so that'll help a bit)

THANKS!!!!!
Grunze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Fleetwood Mac
macrumors 65816

You'll need a few things. First you'll need a wireless VGA or DVI adapter, and then a mini-DVI to VGA or DVI adapter to actually connect it to your iMac (depending on what kind of wireless adapter you purchase). Theoretically you should get two parts to the wireless adapter, one that plugs into you iMac and one that plugs into your television.

I haven't tried this because there's so too much room for issue.

You could also plug another computer into the TV and use VNC to display the screen, but it wouldn't be terribly great quality and probably have a lag.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Tankgunk
macrumors regular

Just so you know, I'm going to assume you're crazy like I am and won't settle for anything but the best video quality possible.

If I'm correct, you're TV only has a VGA input and not a DVI, so you will need a mini-dvi to VGA adapter, and then you'll need to find some kind of wireless VGA transmitter. A quick google search seems to indicate you'll spend enough money on this that you'd be far better off buying a Mac Mini or an Apple TV for your digital media viewing needs (assuming you're looking for VGA quality).
If you're determined to connect your iMac to your television, I'd run a VGA cord in the walls/attic/crawlspace, complete with VGA wall plates on both ends. But you'd have to be an electrician, bribe an electrician you know, or pay someone to do this. And depending on the layout of your house, this might be a hard thing to do.

If you want a DIY solution, find a really long VGA cord.

Another note, you might need some kind of VGA signal extender to go this far, but that shouldn't cost you more than $50.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Grunze
macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions... I've discovered the SlingCatcher which i think will do that trick.. the only catch, is that it doesn't yet exist..

Ideally what I'd want is a super long DVI-HDMI cable but I know that would cost too much... I think I'll just have to wait for a wireless solution to come on the market...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5
iPhil
macrumors 68030

Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunze View Post
Thanks for the suggestions... I've discovered the SlingCatcher which i think will do that trick.. the only catch, is that it doesn't yet exist..

Ideally what I'd want is a super long DVI-HDMI cable but I know that would cost too much... I think I'll just have to wait for a wireless solution to come on the market...

Here's a 30FT dvi-hdmi cable..
iPhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Grunze
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhil View Post
Here's a 30FT dvi-hdmi cable..
haha.. thanks. But I think for that price I'd rather wait for some hardware to do the trick for me....
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:16 PM   #7
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

(Since you noted you want the best quality & wireless)

For 1080p HDMI wireless video/audio $239.00

http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equip...S-WICAST.xhtml

Video - Up to 1080p 60HZ, under 1 ms latency
Audio - Up to 8 channels
Wireless HDMI Technology - WHDI
Transmission Distance - Up to 33 feet
Operation Frequency - 5.15~5.85GHz
Data Rate - 3G bps

You will need to get a tiny DVI to HDMI adaptor for the Mac Book Pro, very inexpensive and found in Best Buys or online.

Personally, I'd run the HDMI->DVI cable as suggested earlier and hardwire it, best overall performance compared to any wireless solution if quality is the #1 concern.

-jim
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:12 PM   #8
reedyfj
macrumors newbie

Anyone heard of something like this coming to os x?

http://www.intel.com/consumer/produc...essdisplay.htm

looks like it's compatible here for all of the i series processors, only listed as pc so far
reedyfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:17 PM   #9
reedyfj
macrumors newbie

just go with these if you're going to hard wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunze View Post
haha.. thanks. But I think for that price I'd rather wait for some hardware to do the trick for me....
giant 15' hdmi to dvi that i've used every day for 2 years
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

15 ft extension
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

don't over pay for cables...it's a really easy way to waste a lot of money
reedyfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:01 AM   #10
OS 11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedyfj View Post
http://www.intel.com/consumer/produc...essdisplay.htm

looks like it's compatible here for all of the i series processors, only listed as pc so far
Apple announced new Macbook Pro's today, but didnt provide any information about a number of valuable and important technologies like Wireless Display (Intel WiDi) thats built into the new Sandy Bridge processors.

The 15 inch Macbook Pro features a 2.0 GHz i7-2630QM, 2.2 GHz i7-2720QM, or 2.3 GHz i7-2820QM Quad Core Processor.

The following technologies are offered on the 2.2 GHz and 2.3 GHz processors but not on the 2.0 GHz processor:

Intel® Quick Sync Video
Intel® Wireless Display
Intel® InTRU™ 3D Technology
Intel® Anti-Theft Technology
Intel® My WiFi Technology
4G WiMAX Wireless Technology.

Can anyone with a new 2011 Macbook Pro provide a source, video, screen-shot, or data from Apple that shows Apple's support of WiDi and the other above mentioned technologies?

Id sure like to be able to have 1080P video & 8 channel audio stream wirelessly from a new Macbook Pro to my TV and sound system.

Thanks you!
OS 11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help