Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
It use to take on my power book 1.33 Hz about 3.5-5.5 hours for a movie to be converted from H.264 to MPeg-4 and now it is taking over 7 or more on my new iMac 2.4 20"

I've tried it with quick time pro, iTunes(would hang up and freeze) and iSquint. I finally got iSquint to convert but it took forever.

Anyone have a better solution? I followed the guides here on this forum but the only thing that worked so far is iSquint.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
That seems really weird. I think that the setting for Quicktime to convert movies to be iPod compatible is 2-pass, so it might be possible for the powerbook to have only done 1-pass encoding, but I would think that the duel-core should offset that time difference. Still I don't think that it should be taking that much time for 1 movie.

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
That seems really weird. I think that the setting for Quicktime to convert movies to be iPod compatible is 2-pass, so it might be possible for the powerbook to have only done 1-pass encoding, but I would think that the duel-core should offset that time difference. Still I don't think that it should be taking that much time for 1 movie.

I'm using Quicktime right now on a movie and it is a quarter way done and has 9 hours 51 minutes remaining with only the internet being used.

I'm looking at my iStat right now and quicktime is jumping from 70% to 134% usage.

My powerbook was using tiger when I got much better transfer times.

Are you using leopard with your transference? Also what version of iTunes are you using? Is there a way to change quicktime to single pass?

Thanks for your answer.

I have three gigs of ram on my iMac BTW

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
OK, solution found

I had some files that needed to be converted to Mpeg-4 on my hard drive and tried to use quicktime, iSquint and iTunes to convert them some took up to 9 hours and then I realized, I had handbrake and had no trouble converting them in less than 3 hours at the same time using the other programs.

I will now use handbrake exclusively and learned my lesson. Handbrake Rules.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
its really interesting since handbrake and isquint use same encoding library. I wonder what happened with isquint.

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
its really interesting since handbrake and isquint use same encoding library. I wonder what happened with isquint.

I have no Clue.
I used iSquint before I updated to Leopard and had no problems. I also had used quicktime and iTunes and had no problems. I really think there is some bugs in leopard and await the massive update that is coming hopefully this week.

Anyway, problem solved for now, unless the update messes with handbrake...LOL

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Up Date- After the new updates from Apple

After the new updates on iTunes and Quicktime I am no longer having the long conversion times or hanging problems that I had with these programs:).

Converting with Quicktime is faster than iTunes but not by much.

However that being said, Handbrake still beats them both by at least 45 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.