Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Hi all, I am very new to Macs and just starting to get into them (having used PC mostly), so forgive me if I get any terminology wrong. :)

My question is, how do I connect to a domain so that i get a list of users when I start my eMac up? My eMac is running OSX. If you require any more information, please ask.

Thanks.

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
Use Dave. It is a program by Thursby Software. A bit of a warning though...if you don't absolutely have to log in to the windows domain, don't bother trying. I set up Dave just because i though it would be cool. It was not worth the trouble. Good luck.

Jay1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Hi KentuckyApple, appreciate your reply, and noted for future references. :)

The server is running OSX server edition, which is what i'm looking to login to, rather than a Windows based OS. Sorry i should of posted this info earlier. :eek:

Hope you can help.

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
To log on, the server just has to have file sharing enabled. If this is so, just go to connect to server from your Go menu in the Finder (desktop). you can type afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are the ip address of the server. you can then log on as long as you have an account on the server.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Originally posted by KentuckyApple
To log on, the server just has to have file sharing enabled. If this is so, just go to connect to server from your Go menu in the Finder (desktop). you can type afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are the ip address of the server. you can then log on as long as you have an account on the server.

You will still need a domain name and a username + password to log in. Username would be entered as YOUR_DOMAIN\USERNAME. Check out MacWindows.com.

Jay1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Ok, i will try all the suggested.

Will this mean that i will get a list of all users on the domain when i start the mac (which is what i want) as the login screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.