Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bass108

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
i was considering apple ram but it really doesn't make sense without a lifetime warranty like the others offer. but anyways

i was looking at OWC and Mac Gurus

both have lifetime warranties

i was being told that the Mac Gurus' should be next week after tests

i looked around for crucial but couldn't find anything and the kinston ram is on backorder

what are you guys doing?

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
i ordered from OWC but it hasn't shipped yet.

i was just thinking about starting a new thread asking if anybodies had any that has shipped yet.....(aside from apple of course)

iSavant

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2007
Colorado
OWC for me. It's not just "lifetime warranty"... it's "advance replacement"... hard to do better than that!

mrcandy

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
Calgary, AB Canada
Owc

I ordered 8GB from OWC - last Tuesday right after ordering the octo.
It was supposed to ship last Thursday, Friday came and went and still not shipped.:mad:
I got a response to an email I sent them this morning, saying my order was 'delayed' and would ship in the next three days.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I ordered 8GB from OWC - last Tuesday right after ordering the octo.
It was supposed to ship last Thursday, Friday came and went and still not shipped.:mad:
I got a response to an email I sent them this morning, saying my order was 'delayed' and would ship in the next three days.

well at least that's some kind of news, hopefully they'll be getting the modules in in bulk this week as i didn't order mine until thursday.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Best Buy runs rebates on 1g sticks every week. Bought mine for $29. Very good ram, Kingston $109, on rebate for $29

Best feature of the fact is that is is local and I can simply "go get it" for that price.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Best Buy runs rebates on 1g sticks every week. Bought mine for $29. Very good ram, Kingston $109, on rebate for $29

Best feature of the fact is that is is local and I can simply "go get it" for that price.

$29? are you sure it's the right kind? DDR2 FBDIMMS?

Bass108

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
seems a bit strange how the other ram (netlist certified) is shipping later

other companies are still testing...mac gurus was telling me how they were having to wait for the new mac pro to come so they can guarantee their product. it seems like OWC is aligned with a apple better but still how can they rightfully ensure their product when it is hard to provide adequate testing. hopefully this delay you are experiencing is them testing their product.

now i didn't want to this to become a strictly OWC thread, i was hoping for a little more variety!

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada

BestBuy would NEVER carry RAM for Mac Pro's.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
seems a bit strange how the other ram (netlist certified) is shipping later

other companies are still testing...mac gurus was telling me how they were having to wait for the new mac pro to come so they can guarantee their product. it seems like OWC is aligned with a apple better but still how can they rightfully ensure their product when it is hard to provide adequate testing. hopefully this delay you are experiencing is them testing their product.

now i didn't want to this to become a strictly OWC thread, i was hoping for a little more variety!

yeah, hopefully. maybe they went out and bought 'em the day of the announcement or something, which seems like a good way to get the jump on the competition...

(ok, OWC oriented thread hijacking over)

mrcandy

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
Calgary, AB Canada
well at least that's some kind of news, hopefully they'll be getting the modules in in bulk this week as i didn't order mine until thursday.

Just checked my order status and it's still 'in queue waiting for product'. I notice that their web page now indicates a 4 day wait (for certified 2GB modules), as opposed to 3 days earlier today, and 2-3 when I ordered.

Apple isn't doing much better for me, the octo had an expected ship date of Jan. 12-15 and is still sitting at "Not yet shipped". Standard build except for upgrade to wireless keyboard and MM. I guess they still have a day left, but I'm beginning to doubt that one as well...

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
I've heard great things about DMS RAM. They're priced about the same as OWC. Personally, I'm waiting to see what Crucial offers and either buying from them or DMS.

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2008
I know I'm new here, but OWC has always been very reliable for me. I won't shop anywhere else for Mac parts.

Bass108

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
well...i emailed OWC twice and got a weird auto response from this lady to email this other guy because she was at macworld. its been two or three days. and i have yet have any real response. i have had numerous emails with these guys at macgurus. ande OWC seems like a real great website and group of people and i actually plan on buying their ministack v3 for backup. its just ram is such a huge thing to me. and they already have some strikes against with me for selling oem drives. macgurus refuse to sell oem drives and all their stuff seems more high end. and it is hard for me to take OWC serious when other people that are testing their ram are doing just that testing it but owc seems ahead of the game. i dont get it.

but anyways i just wanted to make a point that yes OWC seems like a nice site that i like but this forum is definitely feels like an OWC love-fest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.