Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I broke my headphone connector on my Bose Triports. The wire near the connector frayed.

Anyway, I got a replacement plug. I soldered it nicely and injected the whole thing with epoxy to ensure the wire doesn't tug on the unit.

How long will this wad of epoxy take to settle? It says 'usable in 12 hours' but I would assume that's for a thin coat between 2 plastics.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I second the 2 days recommendation, last thing you want to do is tug the wires out of place hours before the epoxy cures completely.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
2 days it is. Thanks folks.

2 days without the sweet vacuum those things create around my ears will be tough. Luckily I've got my half-decent Koss UR40's to back me up.

Thanks for the tip.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
You could use duct tape temporarily if you truly can't live without them. Come to think of it, I've had duct tape holding together the wire on my Grados for over a year now.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Umm... why don't you read the directions that come with your epoxy? They will tell you what the open time is, what the set time is, and what the cure time is. Find out what the cure time is, leave it alone for that length of time.

Problem solved. :p

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well, considering that very little force should be placed on that connection, I'd think 12 hours would be sufficient for normal use.

Of course it doesn't hurt to let it sit a while longer if you've got the time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.