Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gutterflowerjc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this. the iBook that I just inherited from my aunt, (She got a new MB) was working yesterday, whenever the power shut-off on it. (It has a power issue on the logic board, and if it comes unplugged it dies, even though it has a new battery.) so she went to work, and attempted to power it on, it came up, and the apple was on the screen, and the spinner came up, nad it spun for a very long time, eventually the screen flashed, and turned blue, and the spinner came again. After around 15 minutes, she was given the kernal panic screen. She held down the power button, and restarted, only to come up with the old finder face, and a question mark. I rush over with my disc's, and load up the disk utility. It was repairing the disk, and about 3/4 of the way through, it had an error. So, I rebooted, and we got an apple, and it repeated the previous situation, and gave the blue screen, followed by a kernel panic. This time I ran the hardware test, and it says that the logic board passed, but there was an issued with the harddrive.

At first disk utility could find the hard drive, and it reported it as being a 2 TB drive!!!!!!! So I got suspicous about that, and after the hardware test, the computer was reporting that there was no hard drive in the computer at all...

we know for a fact that the drive was either 50, or 80Gb's, (90% sure 80)

My question to you is:
--- Is this the hard drive that has gone bad, or, is it the controller on the logicboard needing to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help
-Jordan

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
Hi Jordan, maybe the experience I made over the last few days can help you. My Mum's iBook started to boot VERY slow. About 15 minutes, like you mentioned yours does. The iBook passed both, hardware test and DiskUtility test, without a problem. I noticed that after the iBook was running some time and becomming warm everything behaved normal, boot times as well as the speed of the apps. I googled for slow boot up times and found out, that some guy solved the problem by replacing the harddrive. I tried to boot from my external firewire drive on which I had installed Tiger and it ran fine. So I orderd a new 2,5" IDE Toshiba drive and replaced the faulty one with the fixit.com guide and boot times were back to 1 minute :)

iBook 14"
1,42 GHz
1GB RAM
80Gig HD

Greetings

Dave

gutterflowerjc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
thank you

I was going to go to my aunts house today, and replace the HD, I have a small spare 5gb hard drive that I can use to test it. Thanks for all of your help!

robsc

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My adapter caught on fire, and I had to put it out. When I tried to charge my battery with a new adapter, it would not charge. I got another battery, (old one from a friend), that apparently had some juice left on it. The computer turned on no problem, and I used it for about 20 minutes when I noticed that the battery was slowly dying, and that it would not charge again. Now, its dead again. It will not charge. Does this sound like a logic board problem? Who can I contact?

Thanks

gutterflowerjc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Sorry...

I didn't see that anyone had post here lately...

Sorry to here about your problem. If it surged, most likely one of two things have happened:

1- Logic board fried

2- Power inverter (Where the plug goes to) got a big surge, and is not accepting a charge anymore.

Try taking it to a genius, and mention "I understand that I can have you send this to apple repair center for a fee of 300$ and they will fix everything"

But don't tell anyone that I told you that.

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.