Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret.com discovered that Apple had set up a new mailing list for Xgrid users.

According to the description, "This mailing list is for user discussion use and deployment of Xgrid -- Apple's solution for parallel and distributed high performance computing."

'Xgrid' was originally trademarked by Apple in October 2002. There has been some subsequent rumors about it, but little direct information from Apple until now.

cesar

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
xgrid and the G5 Xserve...

wwoowow. xgrid will be great!!!!

now, the only thing missing is the G5 Xserve....

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
Wow, this sounds really cool!! I wonder when we will be able to take advantage of this...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Things are falling into place, don't you think, for a World Wide Domination™ by Apple?

First OS X, then the G5, and now the Xgrid. VaTech was huge. And we've been hearing about Pixar potentially making a large investment in G5s.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Woo that really kicks.

I mean great news for the G5 and massive Clusters everywhere.

Behind Earth Simulator which costed $350 million Dollars .

Thats AMAZING for Performance/Cost.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by porky
Call me stupid but, what's XGrid?

You're not stupid (but do you want me to call you that anyway?).

All that's happened is that Apple trademarked the term...and that's it. Everything that's known about the term is on this page.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by gwangung
You're not stupid (but do you want me to call you that anyway?).

All that's happened is that Apple trademarked the term...and that's it. Everything that's known about the term is on this page.

No, what happened is that Apple set up a mailing list for a product called XGrid that's for clustering groups of computers. From other sources I've seen, it appears to be based off of Sun's Grid Engine.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
XCode technology...

Doesn't this remind anyone of the XCode technology, which compiles across networks? Pretty nifty keen.

This is a random guess based on "parallel and distributed computing"...

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I wonder what Skynet would have been like if it were ran off of Apple instead of Dell...maybe we'll find out... ;)

It would think different and just upgrade the human race instead of removing it:p

cesar

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: XCode technology...

Originally posted by bobindashadows
Doesn't this remind anyone of the XCode technology, which compiles across networks? Pretty nifty keen.

This is a random guess based on "parallel and distributed computing"...

Shake for Macos X as a app called QMaster that renders across a network, searching for idle macs...

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Say I want to install a Personal Xgrid cluster...

It is getting to the point that for the price of a compact car, we will be able to create a 5 node cluster of dual G5/dual G5 Xserve (assuming of course, that such Xserve exist).

I propose 5 nodes (10 processors) as a definition of a personal cluster.

Too ambitious?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Did they make the deadline or note?

Originally posted by Hawthorne
...the Va. Tech supercomputer (nicknamed "Big Mac") is now the #2 dawg out there. Wow.

That's just quoting the theoretical performance - "being" means that you actually have to power on the computer and run some code.

There haven't been any statements that I've found about whether or not VTech actually was able to run the full benchmark suite by the 1 October deadline.

Also, note that the "theoretical #2" is 6 months out-of-date - who knows what the current list will be like. The "#2" six months ago might not be "#10" today....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.