Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM   #1
ero87
macrumors 65816

Update my iPhone's software on another computer?

Hey friends,

I'm home from school on winter break for another week, and my iMac is still at school, but I'd like to update my iPhone to the latest software on my brother's mac mini. Is that possible? I don't want to erase my iPhone or anything, I just wanna get the latest software.

Thanks!
ero87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Sean9689
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Sean9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ero87 View Post
Hey friends,

I'm home from school on winter break for another week, and my iMac is still at school, but I'd like to update my iPhone to the latest software on my brother's mac mini. Is that possible? I don't want to erase my iPhone or anything, I just wanna get the latest software.

Thanks!
Nevermind. Just tried it...you can update without syncing, my mistake.

Last edited by Sean9689; Jan 15, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Sean9689 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Thirteenva
macrumors 6502a

Yes you can. I just did this on my G5 at work, and my mac mini is the source of my itunes library. The only thing you can't sync across computers is the itunes libraries (music, movies, tv shows).

I use the phone to sync my contacts, calendar and bookmarks between three computers all the time.
Thirteenva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:35 PM   #4
NotoriousBOG
macrumors newbie

You can absolutely upgrade your phone's software via another machine without syncing.
NotoriousBOG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:27 AM   #5
somnolentsurfer
macrumors newbie

Hi. Have been looking for an answer to this question online, but everything seems quite unspecific. I notice this question dates from January, so want to check that it still applies to the most recent updates.

I've been away from home for four months, and have not had the opportuity to update. I'm finally in an internet cafe where I could do it, if it won't erase my music, contacts and photos.

I'm running 2.0 on the first generation iPhone right now. Is it safe to go to 2.2?
somnolentsurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:23 AM   #6
somnolentsurfer
macrumors newbie

So, I decided to go ahead and try it. My verdict: don't risk it. Broke my personal rule of not using internet cafes to do anything at all important. The update failed for some reason, and bricked my phone. Attempting a restore gave unknown error 13. After rebooting and plugging the iPhone into the USB port on the back rather than the front of the PC the restore worked, and (thankfully) retrieved my notes, messages and current camera roll from the backup it made before attempting the update. I now have no access to my music or apps until I get back home in about three months time. I guess I can at least no download podcasts.

What are the chances Apple will let me re-download all the music I had bought from the wi-fi store since I left home four months ago?
somnolentsurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone