Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
I notice that the new MacBook Air has a Parallel ATA drive which I'm assuming is slower than the Serial ATA in the MacBook (+Pro). However, my common sense is saying that the word Parallel suggests it is better than Serial, but now I'm just confused.

In terms of read times and performance which drive is better?

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
PATA is what our great grandfathers used in their computers. I thought they were all extinct but I guess Apple kept a few alive in captivity.

SATA is better than PATA.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
PATA is the old school method of hard drive technology.

I believe it's slower than SATA but it will do the trick just fine in those new wonderful sleek Macbook Airs.

I'm gonna sit on the fence with the new MBA. Dunno if I should get one or not.... hmmm :D

Tuta

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
Wasn't there some talk at the CES last week that solid state drives were quickly going to come down in price and up in storage capacity over the year?

I love the small size of the Air, but 80/64 hard drives don't cut it anymore... even in a super portable.

88MVP

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
In any real-life scenario, the drive will be limited by the 4200 RPM speed, not the PATA interface

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I notice that the new MacBook Air has a Parallel ATA drive which I'm assuming is slower than the Serial ATA in the MacBook (+Pro). However, my common sense is saying that the word Parallel suggests it is better than Serial, but now I'm just confused.

In terms of read times and performance which drive is better?
4200 RPM is bottleneck, not PATA.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
In any real-life scenario, the drive will be limited by the 4200 RPM speed, not the PATA interface

Pata = garbage (by todays standards)
4200RPM = garbage

people switched to SATA because its a standard format between desktops and laptops,

EX: your MBA dies, you cannot take out your HDD and plug it into your desktop, well you cant do anything if your MBa dies except send it back to apple and get your ass raped.

with a newer laptop, you take your SATA drive out of your laptop and plug it into your desktop using standard sata and sata power cables, your good to go in recovering your stuff. or reimaging it if you like.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Most small notebooks use Pata, you will be fine Sata is not all that :)

what the hell are you talking about? MOST notebooks? you must mean NO NOTEBOOKS TODAY use PATA except the ripoff MBA.

my Acer 15" from 2.5 YEARS AGO has a SATA drive. SATA was introduced in notebooks when i had my Asus M6BNe. thats like 3.25 yrs ago.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
what the hell are you talking about? MOST notebooks? you must mean NO NOTEBOOKS TODAY use PATA except the ripoff MBA.

my Acer 15" from 2.5 YEARS AGO has a SATA drive. SATA was introduced in notebooks when i had my Asus M6BNe. thats like 3.25 yrs ago.

Sheesh, they made a mistake. Give it 1 to 2 years. It'll have a SATA drive. Remember, it's a new notebook. New stuff always has problems.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
4200RPM = garbage

people switched to SATA because its a standard format between desktops and laptops,

EX: your MBA dies, you cannot take out your HDD and plug it into your desktop, well you cant do anything if your MBa dies except send it back to apple and get your ass raped.

with a newer laptop, you take your SATA drive out of your laptop and plug it into your desktop using standard sata and sata power cables, your good to go in recovering your stuff. or reimaging it if you like.

You hard disk will die before your MacBook - and even then you can go out and purchase 1.8" hard disks already. With that being said if I had the cash, I'd go flash anyway.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Sheesh, they made a mistake. Give it 1 to 2 years. It'll have a SATA drive. Remember, it's a new notebook. New stuff always has problems.

haha in 1 or 2 years we will have SATA 4? in laptops, SATA 2 is standardized on all desktops already, and SATA 2 is already in like 20% of the new laptops now.

hell we may not even have sata in 1-2 years, we may have fiber disks in both desktops and laptops.

just look how fast DDR "expired" DDR2 is standard but will possibly be phased out at the end of this year, DDR3 is already out reaching 2GHz almost in speed. the whole DDR memory thing may even dissapear for something superior.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
haha in 1 or 2 years we will have SATA 4? in laptops, SATA 2 is standardized on all desktops already, and SATA 2 is already in like 20% of the new laptops now.

hell we may not even have sata in 1-2 years, we may have fiber disks in both desktops and laptops.

just look how fast DDR "expired" DDR2 is standard but will possibly be phased out at the end of this year, DDR3 is already out reaching 2GHz almost in speed. the whole DDR memory thing may even dissapear for something superior.

Hmmmmm.... let me rephrase what I said.

In one or two years it won't have a SATA drive. It won't have a PATA drive either. It will probably have 2 or 3 SSD options. With the rapidly decreasing prices of SSD's that's probably all it will have. Maybe putting the PATA drive in it was a cheep way to have it out by MacWorld. It's possible that there may be a revision of it in 6 to 12 months that includes only SSD's.

88MVP

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
4200RPM = garbage

This is so grossly misinformed it's disgusting....

First: PATA is not garbage by today's standards. With most hard drives on the market at 7,200RPM, the additional bandwith of the SATA interface is largely irrelevant. The hard drive itself is incapable of supplying information fast enough. With a slower 4,200 drive there is really no reason to use SATA.

Next fallacy: PATA IS a common interface between desktops and laptops. If a MBA dies, the HDD is compatible with any open IDE/PATA slot on any desktop motherboard, you just need a $2 adapter to make it work with the larger pin arrangement.

And really, anyone who thinks they need to send their computers off to Apple or another third party to fix every freaking thing should acquaint themselves with Google. The "genius" bar and the "geek" squad might be the biggest oxymorons ever.

88MVP

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008

In one or two years it won't have a SATA drive. It won't have a PATA drive either. It will probably have 2 or 3 SSD options. With the rapidly decreasing prices of SSD's that's probably all it will have. Maybe putting the PATA drive in it was a cheep way to have it out by MacWorld. It's possible that there may be a revision of it in 6 to 12 months that includes only SSD's.

SSD refers to the drive itself. A hard drive uses solid state memory as opposed to physical platters. This has nothing to do with whether it connects to the motherboard via a PATA or SATA interface.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007

with the way of steve's hatred of anything tactile and buttons, the future apple products will look like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85WFa7TgMk

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
SSD refers to the drive itself. A hard drive uses solid state memory as opposed to physical platters. This has nothing to do with whether it connects to the motherboard via a PATA or SATA interface.

So your saying that PATA and SATA is the way that the HD is connected to the motherboard, not the type of HD it physically is. I see. I guess I was a bit confused about this. I see my self as pretty knowledgeable when it comes to computers but not that knowledgeable. Thank you for clearing this up for me. That changes my perspective on all of this.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
First: PATA is not garbage by today's standards. With most hard drives on the market at 7,200RPM, the additional bandwith of the SATA interface is largely irrelevant. The hard drive itself is incapable of supplying information fast enough. With a slower 4,200 drive there is really no reason to use SATA.

yes actaully it is, SATA has the capability of CRC error checking cmd and staus packets where PATA cant, therefore the communication for SATA drives is superior, also SATA cables do not impede airflow like PATA cables do in desktops (wont matter in laptops but still, SATA has this advantage in desktops).
increased bandwidth to 150MB/s is an advantage over the older 100/133 ata interface, the 150 comes into play when you do burst transfers (from your hdd cache maybe? anything to make your hdd faster will make your loading times faster)
increased voltage on your PATA connectors is needed for the older drives, generally PATA connectors must have 5v or 3.3v signal for the interface to work from the CPU because of this, your cpu needs to take more voltage on to signal your HDDs. SATA only requires 500mA.
SATA is hot swappable, PATA is not. there are many uses for hot swappable drives but im sure you can just guess.

Next fallacy: PATA IS a common interface between desktops and laptops. If a MBA dies, the HDD is compatible with any open IDE/PATA slot on any desktop motherboard, you just need a $2 adapter to make it work with the larger pin arrangement.

SATA is direct plug in whether it be 3.5" disk or 2.5" disk, no adapters, just need a SATA cable, which your mobo will probably come with 2 if you've built a computer recently. also the power connector is the same.

pata requires some kind of a converter between 2.5 and 3.5

And really, anyone who thinks they need to send their computers off to Apple or another third party to fix every freaking thing should acquaint themselves with Google. The "genius" bar and the "geek" squad might be the biggest oxymorons ever.

if you open an apple laptop you void the warranty, with any other manufacture its ok to replace your battery since most 12" laptops come with 2 anyways, also its ok to replace your ram as, ram upgrades are concidered standard use (apple doesnt think so though), acer is even ok with you changing the CPUs as theres only 1 huge access plate that you take off the bottom of most of their laptops to access CPU, RAM, Video, MINI PCIe with no warranty void stickers anywhere.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
a 2.5" PATA connector will not fit on your 1.8" ipod PATA connector, most laptop drives are 2.5, not sure what the MBa has since im hearing that most of the parts are soldered on
It's 1.8" according to the keynote.

Huh? The Sony TZ series (which are the general size that the MBA is going after) either ships with a SSD drive or a 4200 RPM Ultra ATA drive.

Are you aware of any other ultramobile that uses a SATA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.