Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This News.com article reports on new technology that Intel is planning on using for future processors:

The new tool uses Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography (EUV) to print extremely small circuit patterns on chips, resulting in smaller features that let chipmakers pack many more transistors onto their semiconductors. An increase in transistors basically means a corresponding leap in performance. With EUV, chipmakers could see clock speeds of 10GHz or faster--much speedier than today's quickest, 2.4GHz chips.

This new process should allow chip technology to progress at it's current rate. Of note, Motorola and IBM also have first rights over this technology:

Chipmakers Advanced Micro Devices, IBM, Infineon, Micron Technologies and Motorola are all members of the EUV LLC, a consortium that pooled resources to develop the technology jointly with the U.S. government. Members of the consortium have first rights over machines.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Hmm... Moto's in there, eh? Well it looks like either way, Apple may eventually benefit from this! Wouldn't THAT be nice... 10GHz..... :drool: ;)

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Great! Another opportunity for Motorola to fall further behind.

Hope they prove me wrong. Just seems a little depressing in view of Intel's constant progress, and Moto's lack thereof...

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
It stinks, I know. But I think I'm starting to cool down. Methinks Steve is holding out for July...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
it just seems like apple would have to be blind to not realize they need something big and soon... so i'm hopeful, though as i've said before i'm not up for a new computer as of now. but progress would be stellar

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
it just seems like apple would have to be blind to not realize they need something big and soon...

Wasn't that the new iMac?

:cool:

I know, I know....

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by ear2ear

Wasn't that the new iMac?

:cool:

I know, I know....

oh i hear ya. i mean that thing rules.

though i was home using my parents' new one this past weekend (low end model) and it was a bit laggy.. i guess i'm spoiled on the dual 800. they also have 384 ram (only) but for what they do, it shouldn't need much more...

however, apple still needs something big for the pros... especially given the long delay on tibooks and the somewhat weak upgrades on the quicksilvers.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Article contradicts itself

Article states that EUV will bring speeds up to 10 ghz, allowing chipmakers to stay on track with Moore's Law.

However, the last line of the article states that chips using this technology will be commercially available in 5 years.

Today = 2.4 ghz
Two years = 5 ghz
Four years = 10 ghz.

Before this technology comes online we'll already be at 10 ghz.

Don't invest your money yet.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: Article contradicts itself

Originally posted by sjs
Article states that EUV will bring speeds up to 10 ghz, allowing chipmakers to stay on track with Moore's Law.

However, the last line of the article states that chips using this technology will be commercially available in 5 years.

Today = 2.4 ghz
Two years = 5 ghz
Four years = 10 ghz.

Yeah I noticed that too. It seems really strange. I guess in five years time they will have worked out how to extend the technology further to take speeds past 10 GHz.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Article contradicts itself

Originally posted by sjs

Today = 2.4 ghz
Two years = 5 ghz
Four years = 10 ghz.

That's the REGULAR Moore's Law... but as we all know, Apple/Motorola has its OWN law:

Today = 1 ghz
Two years = 2 ghz
Four years = 2 ghz (Motorola goes belly-up and IBM has to start over)

Yep, the future looks bright indeed. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Maybe in 4 years we'll have a 2 GHz G5 when Intel puts out the 10GHz EUV chip.

All this is talk about the next generation chip. We still need to see something from Apple that can compete with the current generation. I'm not worried about it yet.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by dukestreet
Maybe in 4 years we'll have a 2 GHz G5 when Intel puts out the 10GHz EUV chip.

All this is talk about the next generation chip. We still need to see something from Apple that can compete with the current generation. I'm not worried about it yet.

i hear that. let's just hope.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
I am optimistic too. Strangely enough, I expect Apple to pull a rabbit out of its hat and somehow figure a way to outfox the wintel boys...probably by being different; not trying to "catch-up" on the same track; but an end-around.

Well, I am all out of cliches...tonight I have been frantically making erudite posts on any thread that I wasn't banned from, and lo and behold, I have reached 100!

It feels like an accomplishment, but for the life of me I cannot imagine why...good night and God Bless!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
What gets me about the article is that it highlights Intel buying demo tools from the EUV LLC without mentioning the implications for the chipmakers who OWN the friggin' technology...Motorola included.

This one-sided, tunnel-vision bull**** really pisses me off...

I'm grumpy today.:mad:

afifield107

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2002
AZ
EUV

I work for Intel's main supplier of Lithography tools. Not only do I know about EUV, but I have seen them. Guess what. This is a Japaneese company. They don't fall under LLC. They created and developed this tool all by themselves. Intel will be able to get this tool at anytime it becomes feesable for production. There are only a couple of companies That make lithography tools, and I can say from experience that my companies is the best. Unfortunatly, Motorolla doesn't use us because of past conflicts in business. IBM does, but IBM doesn't really make processor chips that Apple uses anymore. Last year alone Intel bought about 130 off my companys top of the line tools, pluse some newer ones not yet available to others. Priced for Intel at about $7 mill. a tool (down from 12) you can see that they wont be left behind. Trust me that Intel will get it as soon as it's ready.

Peace:rolleyes:

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Hey afifield107 :

Welcome to the board, and thanks for your information. Please have a thick skin and ignore any small-brained future flaming and keep us informed.

It's good to have you here.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Originally posted by Hemingray
Hmm... Moto's in there, eh? Well it looks like either way, Apple may eventually benefit from this! Wouldn't THAT be nice... 10GHz..... :drool: ;)

Yep, seems pretty cool, X running at 10G.
I guess that windblows be like a gocart where you put in a Porche engine, that thing will fall apart:p

Anyway, one way or the other proccesor speeds will stay close together. because as described all major procs devs are in there, so ...

NDA

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2002
netherlands
Re: EUV

Originally posted by afifield107
I work for Intel's main supplier of Lithography tools. Not only do I know about EUV, but I have seen them. Guess what. This is a Japaneese company. They don't fall under LLC. They created and developed this tool all by themselves. Intel will be able to get this tool at anytime it becomes feesable for production. There are only a couple of companies That make lithography tools, and I can say from experience that my companies is the best.

Hi,
for starters I am on a NDA, so certain stuff will not be disclosed.

I have some comments and additions on the quoted post, possibly I've misread certain parts of that post, but here it goes

The company that is going to deliver the EUV beta tool to intel is asml, a dutch company, http://www.asml.com. So no japanese here...
They are based in veldhoven, that just happens to be near my hometown, and I work in veldhoven...so do the math...

ASML bought SVG (main US based litho tools supplier of Intel last year) and asml has been developing EUV for some time now (before purchase). Asml is considered by the industry and competition to be the technology leader in this market, and they have some pretty sophisticated stuff.

Development costs for EUV are very high, development costs of a new generation of the type of litho tools like these multiplies with 10 for every new generation. A lot of companies ww are involved.

Basically two paths (wrt certain basic physics design choices involved) were defined for the next generation litho tools (the other is with a kind of X-ray beam and that poses design challenges in developing some radical other "optics" for instance).
EUV seems to be the choice, mind you we are talking about billions of dollars spent on development before even the first production wafer comes out...

in the long run Motorola, IBM, etc. will probably use these systems also, but Intel wanted to be the first probably.
EUV means also some changes in the fab, and some 'rethinking' in how service on certain parts of the scan-system can be done. If you are first (like intel) you are probably also the first to actually produce production wafers with EUV systems and that can be an advantage.

Apple will indirectly benefit from this, to remain competetive, Apple's CPU supplier must be able to design and produce devices similar to ones made by the competition (like intel), so these systems will turn up in different fabs all over the world eventually.

Expect the first production wafers made on EUV systems around 2006-2007...

:)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Welcome NDA. Glad to have you too. Wow, two new posters in one thread, both indicating that they have information. Cool.

(Insert Frankenstein voice) Information good.

blindman858

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2001
Apple CPus

Why does apple have to depend on motorolla why cant they expand their business to cpu design and development?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.