Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Yes I am looking for some good work boots for work. I work on a constuction site so that may be able to help out coving my needs. I am wanting to know what are some good brands to look at for theses. I would not mind something I could also where in the main office as well.

BarryW

macrumors member
Our company issues redwing, they come in various styles. I lucked out on my first issue, received boots, so I decided to purchase my own.
I purchased a pair of Caterpillar safety shoes, they come with steel toe caps, and are slip resistant, and are very comfortable.

I use them onshore and offshore and I wear them around the office(I wear jeans), I paid about $100 for them.

http://www.catfootwear.com/Product/Caterpillar/WORK/Diffuse-Steel-Toe.aspx

Mine are black.

Hope that helps

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Any where I could look at them in a some local store as well. They look tempting. Some of my co works I have noticed are wearing DrMartins. Right now I am ok but I can not go to much longer with out buying them and soon my excuse of I have not gotten my first pay check yet will be gone.

Oh I might want to add I live in Dallas TX so it is major city.

hbchad

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Finally I quit lurking....

Ok, I've been lurking these forums for a long time...but finally someone brings up a topic I know something about...I kept thinking I should register...but no one has asked about boots...

I am extremely hard on my shoes...i tear up everything I own extremely quickly...In the last 3 years I have had a pair of justin work boots, a pair of wolverine work boots, a pair of thinsulated Rocky boots and an uninsulated pair of Rockys (none of these were lace ups...don't know much about that department).
The Justins have held up pretty well except they leak (don't know if they were intended to be waterproof to begin with.) They are relatively comfortable and have an extremely durable sole.

The wolverines were the most comfortable boots i've ever put on in my life...except the soles split after 2 months and wolverine refused to replace them under warranty citing "excessive abuse" - which is the reason I don't work in Nike's(I thought work boots were supposed to take abuse).

The Rocky Boots have been my personal favorites. I have the wellington model which is a slip on waterproof leather model with a nylon and leather upper. They are pretty comfortable and very waterproof (the waterproof part is a big selling point for me.) The ones with the 200 gram thinsulate make a suprising difference in cold weather but get pretty hot in the summer (i'm from mississippi - 100 degree weather may not be an issue for you). That's why I bought an unisulated pair as well. I have been very happy with them.

These are the only boots I've tried, I'm sure many others have suggestions for boots that have worked for them. Good Luck!

hbchad

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I hate double posters

Ok...so I hate it when people post the same thing twice...and now i'm one of those people...apparently I have no idea what i'm doing...either i'm cursed or my Ibook hates me...

This topic is why you had to register? This???
I gave my PC the "boot" last week...thought it was strangely appropriate to comment...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You have double-posted twice in this thread already. ;)

Mods will get angry if you don't post everything into one single post.

Imagine how annoying it'd be if everyone posted a new thought as separate posts.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Me and my poor poor feet used to work 12 shifts at an electroplating shop (they made heat sinks and stuff like that for computers) - I was their chemist, but they required steel toe boots for everyone. I went through loads before I found a comfy pair. These seemed to be the best ones I had. I was on my feet for most of those 12 hours and the boots took quite a beating from acids and other junk managing their way onto them.

The other boots I found that did OK were plain old Doc Martens. I had to put an insole thingy in there to make it more padded but they weren't too bad. They have steel toe too if need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.