Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Earth to Apple, Earth to Jobs: You're not listening

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Earth to Apple, Earth to Jobs: You're not listening
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:07 PM   #2
ClassicMac247
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ClassicMac247
Lol, another fine article from macbytes.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3
coolant113
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to coolant113
Cant you guys be happy with what he delivered today... I guarantee you that he is designing an ultra portable tablet macbook and the 3G iphone.. but it is probably not ready to be released yet... it is better to let them take longer so they can put as much stuff into it so that they can present this thing with as much stuff as possible and so people like you guys wont complain about when they release it..
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a

Jobs never said he wanted to sell ten million iPhones in the first year of the product being available for sale.

He said that he wanted to sell ten million units in calendar year 2008.

If they sold almost 4 million iPhones in half a calendar year, and most of that time it was just for sale in the USA, I would say he has a really good shot at selling 10 million units in calendar year 2008. If they keep new countries coming, and release a new model, lower the price, or really anything, they will likely exceed that number.
Nicky G is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5
kugino
macrumors 6502a

gruber or the macalope need to trash this...but it's just too easy. this guy gives bloggers a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky G View Post
Jobs never said he wanted to sell ten million iPhones in the first year of the product being available for sale.

If they sold almost 4 million iPhones in half a calendar year, and most of that time it was just for sale in the USA, I would say he has a really good shot at selling 10 million units in calendar year 2008. If they keep new countries coming, and release a new model, lower the price, or really anything, they will likely exceed that number.
i believe the actual number is 10 million by the end of 2008, not 10 million in 2008. so he's almost halfway there...but i do think they will sell at least 10 million in 2008, too.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jan 16, 2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts... please use multiquote...
kugino is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:21 AM   #6
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
gruber or the macalope need to trash this...but it's just too easy. this guy gives bloggers a bad name.
Yeah, Gruber could go to town with this one. I can see the headline now: "Earth to Jackass".
mduser63 is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:50 AM   #7
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
Macworld pretty much said the same thing this guy said albeit more elegantly. This is the Mac mini of laptops, they went a step or two too far when it comes to the size.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:32 AM   #8
zap2
macrumors 604

Guy doesn't know his stuff...Apple said they want to sell 10M iPhone by the time 2008 is done...one full year of 2008.

So basicly, they have to sell 6M in 12 months...easly done.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:35 AM   #9
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMac247 View Post
Lol, another fine article from iTWire.
I fixed it for you. MacBytes is just a user submission based aggregate. I don't blame them for others works.

I'm going to err on the side of caution when it comes to the MacBook Air. It smells of the iPod launch but we'll somehow enjoy looking back on this in the future. I still believe that Apple needs to get out of this thin madness that has set in.

Mac Pro SMASH
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:59 AM   #10
MacsAttack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post
This is the Mac mini of laptops
No. The MacBook (which was designed with the same components as the intel Mac Mini - just as the G4 Mac Mini was the iBook in a new form factor) is "the Mac Mini of laptops".

This is closer to being the Apple TV of laptops and is the sort of thing lots of people were whining about not being in the lineup since the demise of the 12 inch PowerBook.

Figure the new style and keyboard will work their way into the MacBook Pros around about March perhaps (don't want to distract people from buying the Air once it ships in 2 or 3 weeks - and February will be busy with the iPhone SDK launch).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:02 AM   #11
Quillz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Quillz Send a message via MSN to Quillz
So with both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro sporting full aluminum shells, when will the MacBook eventually get the metal treatment?
Quillz is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:14 AM   #12
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Osarkon
I do have to agree with the article actually.

The macbook air, whilst nice, isn't of any interest to me, the thing that interested me the most was the release of more applications for the iPod Touch.

Now I find it worth buying it as it's officially supported.

All I need to do is wait for my 5G iPod to die now.
Osarkon is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:15 AM   #13
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post
So with both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro sporting full aluminum shells, when will the MacBook eventually get the metal treatment?
Well you'd have to be faily dozy to buy a MacBook now, put it that way. It will be coming for sure, possible sooner rather than later.

Actually you'd be fairly dozy to buy either of the other two MacBook models, because they will both be benefitting for features on the Air, like the multi-touch trackpad and new keyboard.
elppa is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:35 AM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G5

The MBA isn't a revolutionary new product category like the iPhone. It just fills a niche in the lineup that has been empty a while: laptops focussed primarily on portability.

It also does so in some ways that exceed anything that has come before from any company. And in some ways that are simply different than anything else--with a new focus on wireless that seems surprising because it's a change. Just like the loss of floppy drives was a surprise at first.

It doesn't need to outsell all other MacBooks. It needs to meet the needs of some whose needs weren't met before, and sell enough to pay for R&D, make a profit, and boost Apple's mindshare and reputation for innovation and quality. I expect it will meet those goals, as well as paving the way for changes to come in other MacBook models.

I'm one of those whose needs weren't met before. Now, at last, there's a MacBook for me. Better than I'd hoped in some ways, less in others, and different from what I would have guessed. I'll await reviews, but the price is right (cheaper than the competition in fact) and I expect I will buy one. Plenty of others will too. But of course our needs are not the same as everyone's. This is the right choice for less than half of users. Most users, in other words, will be better served by another laptop.

And I'm sure those users don't make the mistake of thinking THEIR needs speak for everyone either. They could go to any store and find a hundred products they don't personally want--yet which are successful and great options to offer those who do want them.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:32 AM   #15
simoleon
macrumors newbie

This dude didn't get his Newton and all of a sudden Apple doesn't listen? Where does this guy get off invoking "the market" and what it demands?
I would love to hear where this speedbump gets his market data from.
As for the 3G iPhone: Was any serious person expecting one yesterday?
And the thing about the stocks? I'm just pokin' around a bit, but I can't find much that wasn't down yesterday.
What a maroon.
simoleon is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 AM   #16
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsAttack View Post
No. The MacBook (which was designed with the same components as the intel Mac Mini - just as the G4 Mac Mini was the iBook in a new form factor) is "the Mac Mini of laptops".
I didn't mean it was related to the Mac Mini. I meant they went completely overboard making it so small and sacrificed so many features that anyone besides hardcore Mac users may shy away from it.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:59 AM   #17
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
The MBA isn't a revolutionary new product category like the iPhone. It just fills a niche in the lineup that has been empty a while: laptops focussed primarily on portability.
I see a certain amount of revolution occurring here as this the first Mac computer (for a good few years) that doesn't 'just work'. The revolution is more philosophical than technological. The lack of firewire, internal drive, ethernet do put a limit on how you can easily use this computer. I struggle to see these in the same way as dropping the floppy drive.

All (correct me if I am wrong, I am no Apple historian) recent Macs have adopted a "batteries included" approach to connectivity and Apple here are breaking away from that simplicity. I think SJ has made himself look a little foolish comparing the MBA to the Sony TZ, which does include all those features.

However, I think Apple are sticking to doing what they do well, and moving laterally away from the competition. They can't actually better Sony's engineering, so they are forging their own minimalist laptop market with a unique product (just as there are few direct competitors to iMacs, Mac Pros or Mac Minis). I am sure they have done their analysis, and will be successful with this model.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:02 AM   #18
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

I've read a lot (a LOT) of complaints about the MBA, but I doubt Apple ever intended it to replace the MB. If you want something full-featured, get the MB. If you want something fuller-featured, get the MBP. If you want something to check your email and watch a movie that will fit in your carryon luggage without straining your back, here you go.

Time will tell if the demand for an ultra-light device like this is worth ther $1700+, but the product does fill a gap.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:15 AM   #19
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky G View Post

Actually, wasn't it ten million phones by the end of 2008? Either way, the author of this article appears to not really know what he's talking about and just be reciting negative platitudes that he's likely read on forums.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:16 AM   #20
djellison
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsAttack View Post
This is closer to being the Apple TV of laptops and is the sort of thing lots of people were whining about not being in the lineup since the demise of the 12 inch PowerBook.
No, really, it isn't. The is NOT a replacement for the 12" Powerbook. That gap, a smaller than 15" MBP, is still pending for reasons known only to Apple themselves. Half a dozen other laptop manufacturers have made one - only Apple seems unable. I want a smaller MBP. I don't want a MBA.

Doug
djellison is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:18 AM   #21
ZiggyPastorius
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via MSN to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via Skype™ to ZiggyPastorius
It could just be me in my ignorancy, but, I've never thought the Macbook was too heavy to carry around with me. I can't even stand ultra-portables. They're too compact for me, and I've held 9" Dell Ultra-Portables that are heavier than my Macbook. If I can carry it comfortably with two fingers and a thumb, up in the air (not safe, I know) how is it too heavy?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:27 AM   #22
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
And I'm sure those users don't make the mistake of thinking THEIR needs speak for everyone either. They could go to any store and find a hundred products they don't personally want--yet which are successful and great options to offer those who do want them.
I fear I may have been wrong. People DO think their specific needs speak for everyone
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:11 AM   #23
gkarris
macrumors 604

Updates to TV - I'm happy...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:10 PM   #24
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by djellison View Post
No, really, it isn't. The is NOT a replacement for the 12" Powerbook. That gap, a smaller than 15" MBP, is still pending for reasons known only to Apple themselves. Half a dozen other laptop manufacturers have made one - only Apple seems unable. I want a smaller MBP. I don't want a MBA.

Doug
Actually no the 12 inch was not a smaller 15 inch. It was actually more comparable to the iBook than the 15 inch PowerBook. The 12 inch always had a lesser feature set so they could cram it in the case. I think a lot of people are suffering from selective memory when it comes to the 12 inch PowerBook (I owned on but the Australian rainforest killed it so I replaced it with a MacBook). The first 12 inch powerbooks had only about 700 mb of ram. These things weren't speed demons.
NAG is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:06 PM   #25
SkyBell
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post
I didn't mean it was related to the Mac Mini. I meant they went completely overboard making it so small and sacrificed so many features that anyone besides hardcore Mac users may shy away from it.
You've got that backwards. the mini is supposed to attract new users with it's low price.

Not everyone needs more then a 60 GB HDD (Or whatever it is now.)
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion