Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:38 PM   #1
teazen
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Un-smooth color gradient in macbook pro display

I'm a new mac user, and had used the macbook pro 2.4G with LED backlight for one more month. I find the color gradient is not smooth in secondary primary color to primary color. Please check the upload PNG files. In those patterns you will find many vertical lines. Those will make you see some images with contour or noise by Macbook Pro. I have double check many other PC notebooks. They don't have this issue. It is hard to believe the high-end notebook has such kind of color performance. The color performance is too poor to use the "Pro" title. I feel so disappointed to spend a huge amount of money on the Macbook pro( Poor?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color_gradient_001.png
Views:	531
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	97951   Click image for larger version

Name:	color_gradient_002.png
Views:	301
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	97952   Click image for larger version

Name:	color_gradient_003.png
Views:	274
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	97953  

Click image for larger version

Name:	color_gradient_004.png
Views:	221
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	97954   Click image for larger version

Name:	color_gradient_005.png
Views:	239
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	97955  
teazen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have the exact same model as you and it does have the gradient issue. I think when I ran Windows on this laptop it didn't have such bad colour transition, so I've got a feeling it may be a problem in the Mac OS graphics driver and its dithering process. I may be wrong, though.

My previous MacBook Pro (Core Duo early model with matte LCD) doesn't have the problem. It appears to be only these LED-lit Santa Rosa models.

The bottom-line is that built-in laptop displays aren't very good with colour depth. If you want accurate and high-quality colour (24-bit), use a pro-standard external LCD, like the Apple Cinema Displays.

I did think that the MacBook 'Pro' should have a better screen, however.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:25 PM   #3
creator2456
macrumors 68000

They appear fairly smooth on my 2.16 Rev A CD 17' MBP. There is only one spot in each image where the gradient 'jumps', but that is expected from a notebook screen.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:12 PM   #4
sukanas
macrumors 6502a

im currently on a 400 dollar dell laptop w/ ati integrated graphics and its pretty smooth......

im guessing its the graphics driver like the previuos poster mentioned?
sukanas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:18 AM   #5
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Colour Profile

I've got a feeling that the colour profile (the standard one called 'Color LCD') isn't good for the particular display I have. It's a glossy Samsung, if that makes any difference.

I'm now using the sRGB colour profile (which is best for photo and colour work anyway in most cases) and the gradient issue appears to be gone. I have the Aurora default Leopard desktop wallpaper currently and I see no colour banding. It was awful before.

Oh, and interestingly, I had to select the sRGB profile and then change the desktop again to the Aurora before the picture changed. I think when you change profile it's best to restart Mac OS because everything will start up configured with the newly selected profile (wallpaper, Preview, Safari etc.).

Once you get used to the new profile it should all be good. At first it may seem a little pale and blue (for sRGB anyway), but that's because you're used to the standard profile, which is actually far too washed out and yellow-tinted. With a better profile like the widely accepted sRGB format, you're seeing much more realistic colours.

I hope this helps!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:05 AM   #6
MowingDevil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
Hi, I have the exact same model as you and it does have the gradient issue.
Do all the latest MBPs have this issue?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:57 AM   #7
spring
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowingDevil View Post
Do all the latest MBPs have this issue?
I have a MBP 2.2 with LED screen and I just checked it now with your attached pictures and I also notice the vertical lines.
spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:45 AM   #8
thespyglass
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring View Post
I have a MBP 2.2 with LED screen and I just checked it now with your attached pictures and I also notice the vertical lines.
But the vertical lines are actually part of the attached pictures, because they're captured from screen, right? To check for gradient problems you'd have to open/create a gradient file, I think.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm a prospective MBP-owner who likes using Photoshop so I'm interested to see how common this issue is
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Firefly2002
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyglass View Post
But the vertical lines are actually part of the attached pictures, because they're captured from screen, right? To check for gradient problems you'd have to open/create a gradient file, I think.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm a prospective MBP-owner who likes using Photoshop so I'm interested to see how common this issue is
Of course they're not part of the attached pictures.

The screen captures are taken from the frame buffer, which has no problems, and presents the data as zeros and ones, quite unaffected by the (18-bit, poorly dithered) quality of the screen.

On a 19" CRT in millions of colors, I see not one single vertical line. At any viewing angle :P

It's an issue with the screen.... or more specifically, the dithering algorithm Apple chose. I don't believe the old PowerBooks used the same algorithm (they used a better one) and so this wouldn't be an issue for them.

These aren't true 24-bit color screens, they're 18-bit color (6-bit R G and B)
Firefly2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:40 AM   #10
creator2456
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly2002 View Post

<snip>

On a 19" CRT in millions of colors, I see not one single vertical line. At any viewing angle :P

<snip>

Just hooked up to my 17" Trinitron and it is as smooth as a babies bottom.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:24 PM   #11
thespyglass
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly2002 View Post

The screen captures are taken from the frame buffer, which has no problems, and presents the data as zeros and ones, quite unaffected by the (18-bit, poorly dithered) quality of the screen.

Haha, okay, thank you! I was clearly being a bit slow! And wow, does my laptop ever need replacing then

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro