Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:32 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

VMware Beta virtualises Mac OS X Server

Category: Videos
Link: VMware Beta virtualises Mac OS X Server
Description:: Allows virtualisation of Mac OS X Server on any piece of Apple-branded hardware (Mac OS X client included).

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Hmmmmm...... nice!!

First Parallels Server, and now VMware.
It's good to have options and competition
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:14 AM   #3
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

As I find VMware to be significantly more professional, stable, and accessible than Parallels, I am excited about this too. I will be interested to see how they accomplish this. To see if they're using the physical Macintosh's EFI to boot, or if they actually emulated EFI.

I'd also be interested to see exactly would happen if someone took the vmdk and just tried loading it into VMware Server on Windows or Linux. It should obviously die out, but it will be interesting. Finally, I'll be intrigued to see if, even though it's technically against the EULA of Tiger Server, you can install 10.4 Server on a VM.

Now I would be happy if they would have Unity running in the VMware Tools drivers for Linux. Though at least here there's a workaround with X11 Forwarding.

EDIT: Oh, and I found "Spaces work in the Virtual Machine?" to be quite amusing, after which the quality of the video drops off significantly. But it's nice to see OS X in a VM.

Last edited by Lixivial; Jan 17, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Lixivial is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion