Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Anyone at MWSF reading this? Can you go to the exhibit hall and look at the MBA and tell us if there is a Kensington Security Slot?

I do not see any mention of it on the MacBook Air tech specs page:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

For comparison, look at the regular MacBook:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
"Security — Kensington cable lock slot"

It is a little difficult for me to imagine an expensive, ultra-portable, sexy, easy-to-steal computer that has no security slot.

I know Apple was trying to economize on space, but what if you're at a coffee shop and want to go to the bathroom? You gotta take your MBA with you everywhere??

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but would you really leave your computer unattended in a coffee shop, lock or no lock, while you went to the toilet?

I certainly wouldn't...

Steve.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
Still, I think that's a pretty poor mistake.
I'd definately not leave one at my desk without a lock, let alone in public places as it's intended.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
I don't mean to be argumentative, but would you really leave your computer unattended in a coffee shop, lock or no lock, while you went to the toilet?

I have been wondering about that, and I am not sure. I think it would depend on the environment in the shop at that moment. If I just gotta take a leak and there are some friendly people around, I think I might lock my MB to a table and/or a couple of chairs. It would be tremendously difficult for someone to get it in the time I'd be gone. Basically, they would have to smash the chair, or go at the cable with a big-handled cutter. I think someone would notice.

I do have my current MacBook FileVaulted and screen-saver locked, so if it gets stolen, at least my data/identity is safe. But of course I'd like for it to not get stolen.

In any event, I certainly have had cause to lock my MB. Such as when I've needed to leave it behind in a hotel room. I imagine I could try to hide the MBA, but... I'd feel better if it was tied down to something while I'm out snorkeling. :)

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Looking at the pictures on the apple site there might be one half way down the left side.

gallery-big-06.jpg

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I do. Always chain my MacBook to something when I have to leave it unattended. You never know who might be eyeing it.

I bought a lock at Best Buy when they were really cheap but I've never actually used it. I just find I never leave my MacBook Pro anywhere unattended outside of my apartment.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I actually called and spoke to an Apple Store rep today and he confirmed that there is no security slot. He said I was the first person he spoke to that asked that question.

I would love to have a MacBook Air but the lack of a security slot is a deal breaker for me. I take my current laptop to the office and school and have to leave it unattended at times. I do it knowing that it is locked down.

Maybe they will have it in the next model ... that's the hope but I'll probably have a newer MBP by that time because I'll be tired of waiting :rolleyes:

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I bought a lock at Best Buy when they were really cheap but I've never actually used it. I just find I never leave my MacBook Pro anywhere unattended outside of my apartment.

I work in an academic institution, in a shared office. There are times where I'm out of the office but students can still get in. I feel better if my MacBook is locked.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
MacBook Air Revision

Maybe the 180 day update will include an 'ipod shuffle like clip' that you affix the mba to your shirt while you visit the rest room or go out for a lunchtime run????
It just about seems light enough, or do we have to wait for the MacBook Helium.

Seriously though. I hope a security slot is installed quickly by Apple. Otherwise it's sadly a non starter as a replacement for my ageing work PC [Compaq NC6120].

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Ok this is the first time I've even heard anyone say that they even require the slot, we must have grown up in very different places. Far as I knew that slot was just for stores that'd have machines on display, or similar. (which makes me think - how WILL these be displayed if there's no slot? Behind glass?)

Something as valuable as a Mac would never leave my sight in a public place, anyway...

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Ok this is the first time I've even heard anyone say that they even require the slot, we must have grown up in very different places. Far as I knew that slot was just for stores that'd have machines on display, or similar. (which makes me think - how WILL these be displayed if there's no slot? Behind glass?)

Something as valuable as a Mac would never leave my sight in a public place, anyway...

I've had a notebook stolen. It was in a restricted area but accessible by the public.

I always tether my notebooks now outside of home [or at least take a cable with me in case I feel the need to].

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I've had a notebook stolen. It was in a restricted area but accessible by the public.

I always tether my notebooks now outside of home [or at least take a cable with me in case I feel the need to].

The one public place I've ever left my MacBook unattended was on a train when I went to the WC. Between stops of course ;) usually it would always be in sight / on my person so owning a cable has never even crossed my mind.

Besides in any environment with other people (even around friends) I'd be more worried about some clumsy idiot spilling / dropping something on it... let alone having it nicked, to have it out of my sight!

///alpinepower

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Anyone at MWSF reading this? Can you go to the exhibit hall and look at the MBA and tell us if there is a Kensington Security Slot?

I do not see any mention of it on the MacBook Air tech specs page:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

For comparison, look at the regular MacBook:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
"Security — Kensington cable lock slot"

It is a little difficult for me to imagine an expensive, ultra-portable, sexy, easy-to-steal computer that has no security slot.

I know Apple was trying to economize on space, but what if you're at a coffee shop and want to go to the bathroom? You gotta take your MBA with you everywhere??

ah, see, you don't even live in the target market's world: they are insulated from such riff raff at all times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.