Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I'm looking for a good desk one that somebody can recommend. Something that is ergonomicaly sound, so that i don't have to raise my arms to my computer or have to hunch down.

Anybody use a desk they swear by.

The 2 i have at the moment are quite high and i sit with a cushion (i'm 5,7 btw, not short) but my arms are at an angle and they do hurt after a while which becomes irritating.

Anyway...?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
The desk I have is a good one. I don't know if OfficeMax makes it anymore, but I can certainly describe it for you.

There is a monitor riser on the left end that's big enough to hold a standard 20" monitor. There is a hutch between the right edge and the monitor riser with a space for books, a CD rack, two small cubbies and two wide cubbies on top of the small ones. There is a file drawer and above that is space for a printer. There is a keyboard tray that is 29" high (which is recommended by experts). It is very ergonomically sound, although space for writing/reading stuff on paper is somewhat limited. I got it for $150, less a $70 in store rebate.

I always liked this one and I may very well buy it after college. I lust after it when I'm in the stores, but it doesn't have a monitor riser. You could get a box for that, I suppose, but it is an excellent desk nevertheless. $250 less a $50 instant rebate.
http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...xpansionOID=-536897594&prodBlockOID=537037653

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
sounds like you need a hydraulic chair. they're cheap, and you don't have to worry about desk hight or cushions.

as for desk, mine is the Fierro "L" Glass Workcenter, as you can probably guess it's an L shaped desk (i won't use anything else-- it's just handy) with glass tops, got it dirt cheap (about 100$us), has a keyboard tray... pretty basic, but suits my needs nicely... dunno if they sell in the UK...

pnw

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Ikea have a big modular desk called Jerker:eek: Its fully adjustable and has add-on shelves and low holders for the CPU etc. its really deep and the monitor sits well back.

They also do a really neat corner fold away desk that works well for e and iMacs.

Their range is good and inexpensive.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by paulwhannel
sounds like you need a hydraulic chair. they're cheap, and you don't have to worry about desk hight or cushions.

as for desk, mine is the Fierro "L" Glass Workcenter, as you can probably guess it's an L shaped desk (i won't use anything else-- it's just handy) with glass tops, got it dirt cheap (about 100$us), has a keyboard tray... pretty basic, but suits my needs nicely... dunno if they sell in the UK...

pnw

The only problem with that is that it's important to keep your feet flat on the ground so that you don't strain the ankle or the knees. As a result, it's not a good idea to adjust the height of your chair based on the height of your workcenter. The chair should be adjusted to the length of your legs, then the workcenter should work with that.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Is there IKEA in the UK - yes i know it's swedish

if so, it's the one stop shopping man...nice ones can be pricy, but cheaper then most other designer desks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.