Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So after watching the Keynote i actually feel like buying an Apple TV now. I'm a huge movie fan and often try to watch movies in the theatre because im a one time person and don't need to own a DVD it would just be clutter/wasteful

If i get an Apple TV my life would be somewhat easier because its from my couch i can rent almost any movie i want since ALL the MAJOR studios are on board which is amazing to me. Even better than i can transfer to an iPod/iPhone if i so desire

But two things concern me:

My internet connection, i get a steady stream of 6.5MB DL/512KB UL on my ISP but i'm not sure how that would hold up to an HD download or even normal movies. Its fast but is it fast enough...i dunno

Prices in the UK. Things in the UK tend to be more expensive than the American equivalent pricing.

Overall i think the Apple finally has something on their hands with the Apple TV and i hope i can get one. I would also say this was the best announcement from the Keynote...IMHO

SnapperUK

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
London
No Movies on UK iTunes

Don't rush into buying the :apple:TV if you want to download movies from iTunes in the UK. At the moment there are no movies on the European (non-US) iTunes. Although I hope I missed something and that is going to change soon. There are TV programmes but very limited and mostly pretty lame.
That said I think my :apple:TV is great and sync it to play ripped DVDs... it is a hassle but it can be worth it.
Download speed should be fine when we finally get the movies on offer as long as you don't expect to watch the movie instantly, or expect it as quickly as Steve got his yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.