Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
When accessing a pdf online for viewing, XP would allow the file to be opened in the browser. Is this possible in OS X? Every pdf I try to view is downloaded to the desktop and then opened in Preview. This is inconvenient. I have to delete the pdf to clean things up and then close preview. Is there a setting I am not seeing somewhere? I'm using FF, but it seems that OS X wants to manage things accessed on the Net.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
only safari can open pdf in browser under OSX. there used to be a plug in for firefox, but its outdated. I don't think its doable now.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
So I change the file associations in System Preferences/Applications for extensions and file types to Adobe Reader and I still get Preview as the default when accessing a .pdf. What's with that? What else do I need to change?

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Where do I do that? I checked the Preferences pane for FF and there are no apps associated with .pdf. I don't even see a place for doing so.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
not with my MB now
try

firefox->preferences->applications

Attachments

• Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.