Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Who is taking the "RED PILL" and buying a MBA with the solid state drive? Or am I the only one that's foolish?:D $1000.00 for next to no boot time!!!

MK2007

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
No way. It's a complete waste of money. MBA has more potential than any device in Apple's history to be replaced by something else in a few months. Too many design shortcomings, too high a price.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Who is taking the "RED PILL" and buying a MBA with the solid state drive? Or am I the only one that's foolish?:D $1000.00 for next to no boot time!!!

you will have the same boot time, an SSD does not mean a RAM drive, even RAM drives do not have instant boot times, you probably need a CACHE drive for that (cache transfers several terabytes per second, where as ram drives can do several gigabytes, and SSD's can do around 60MB/s, regular HDD's do around 40MB-70MB depending on where the disk is read from.

although it would be interesting to see 4 SSD's in raid 0.

BTW SSD's are on newegg for $1500 for the 64GB, cheaper on other online sites. theres even a 128GB for $3000 lol

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
you will have the same boot time, an SSD does not mean a RAM drive, even RAM drives do not have instant boot times, you probably need a CACHE drive for that (cache transfers several terabytes per second, where as ram drives can do several gigabytes, and SSD's can do around 60MB/s, regular HDD's do around 40MB-70MB depending on where the disk is read from.

although it would be interesting to see 4 SSD's in raid 0.

BTW SSD's are on newegg for $1500 for the 64GB, cheaper on other online sites. theres even a 128GB for $3000 lol
I have seen youtube video's comparing the ssd drive vs a standard hd and the boot time on the solid state is almost twice as fast. I guess I will find out in 2 weeks. I will compare it to my MBP boot time.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I have seen youtube video's comparing the ssd drive vs a standard hd and the boot time on the solid state is almost twice as fast.

Yeah, but we're only talking 20-30 seconds faster. During normal usage, you'd have to be hitting the drive all the time for it to be really worthwhile - wouldn't it'd be better to just max out the RAM?

durant0s

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I have seen youtube video's comparing the ssd drive vs a standard hd and the boot time on the solid state is almost twice as fast. I guess I will find out in 2 weeks. I will compare it to my MBP boot time.

Compare it to your MBP? Sorry to get personnel, but why exactly are you getting an MBA?

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Compare it to your MBP? Sorry to get personnel, but why exactly are you getting an MBA?
Thats what my wife said!! lol I need a small portable for travel and did not want to take my MBP with me so I bought a Blk MB for this but when ever I used it I missed the LED screen and love the backlit key pad the MBP has. So I sold my MB and ordered the MBA. I dont need the GPU or power for the road. Just a lighter machine! Having said that the MBA 1.8 core 2 duo is not that slow and pair it with a solid state drive and it should run close to the same as my MB. I know...sounds "crazy".

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't get why some people say the MBA is underpowered, or slow. It's fast. I have a MB from June, and it has a C2D 2.0 GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM. The MBA has a C2D 1.6 or 1.8 GHz processor in it, and is much thinner. Smaller laptops have always had much less power than larger laptops. This is no different. In fact, I'm surprised at how powerful they made the MBA.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I don't get why some people say the MBA is underpowered, or slow. It's fast. I have a MB from June, and it has a C2D 2.0 GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM. The MBA has a C2D 1.6 or 1.8 GHz processor in it, and is much thinner. Smaller laptops have always had much less power than larger laptops. This is no different. In fact, I'm surprised at how powerful they made the MBA.
I was also expecting a slower CPU! I am happy it has a 1.8ghz core2 duo

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah, but we're only talking 20-30 seconds faster. During normal usage, you'd have to be hitting the drive all the time for it to be really worthwhile - wouldn't it'd be better to just max out the RAM?

you can add to, take out or even look at the RAM in the MBA.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I don't get why some people say the MBA is underpowered, or slow.

It's not the processor they are complaining about it's the 4200rpm hard drive and there's no option for a 5400. I was at Macworld yesterday playing with it and it wasn't too bad in speed but iMovie took a while to launch and relaunch. The screen quality is incredible and I'll be getting the SSD model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.