Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandaboots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Dallas, Texas
So can you zoom in the screen on Apple TV like you can in Quicktime or on a widescreen TV/DVD player? In other words, sometimes those very wide movies just get on my damn nerves (2.85:1 ratio?) and I like to zoom in on em to fill the screen. Can this be done via settings on :apple:TV?

For some reason I don't mind the 1.78:1 ratio black bars, but when a movie is only taking up 1/3 of the horizontal real estate..drives me nuts. (sorry if the ratios aren't exact)

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
For some reason I don't mind the 1.78:1 ratio black bars, but when a movie is only taking up 1/3 of the horizontal real estate..drives me nuts. (sorry if the ratios aren't exact)
My Apple TV doesn't have that ability. What you can do is, change the aspect ratio in Quicktime, but that would just stretch your video, not crop it. If you want to crop, then I think you'd have to re-encode.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
So can you zoom in the screen on Apple TV like you can in Quicktime or on a widescreen TV/DVD player? In other words, sometimes those very wide movies just get on my damn nerves (2.85:1 ratio?) and I like to zoom in on em to fill the screen. Can this be done via settings on :apple:TV?

Since AppleTV is hooked up to your TV, it sends out the source image the same way a DVD player would.

Seems likely that your TV has a switch/mode/setting that would allow you to zoom in the picture. I know mine does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.