Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wireless Buddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
On my iBook, the flip out hook is getting stuck in the latch. Like, the computer is closed, and when I push the button to open it, it just makes a grinding sound and stays latched closed. :confused:

I have pushed down slightly on the screen part and that would work, but now that's not working too well either. This is REALLY pissing me off. Sometimes it takes 10 attempts to open my computer, and is especially embarrasing when I'm with people I know and they know how I'm always talking about how great my Mac is. :mad:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
how confident are you about opening up an ibook? i'd give you the latch assembly or the whole top palmrest assembly for just shipping costs if you want it. i'm thinking you got dirt in there and it could just be cleaned out if you take it apart.

here's a pic of the mechanics of the latch assembly. cleaned out and oiled up should make it work like new again.

Attachments

• 100_4305.JPG
    100_4305.JPG
    560.5 KB · Views: 69

Wireless Buddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
how confident are you about opening up an ibook? i'd give you the latch assembly or the whole top palmrest assembly for just shipping costs if you want it. i'm thinking you got dirt in there and it could just be cleaned out if you take it apart.

here's a pic of the mechanics of the latch assembly. cleaned out and oiled up should make it work like new again.

I figured out the problem. It's not dirty. The screen part of the computer is not exactly centered on the other half. This is causing the hook to get stuck under some other part. If I push the screen half over to the left a little bit, the computer will pop open great.

So I just have to find a way to get the screen half to stay centered. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.