Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Airplanes are pressurized to ~8000 feet, so you'll be fine.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Err... yeah... I thought the main group of people who were going to buy the MBA were people who fly a lot... :S This makes it useless for those kinda people doesn't it?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
WELL GUYS, I'M GLAD WE WERE ALL ON TOP OF THAT ONE. GOOD WORK. :D

<3 spy.macrumors.com

EDIT: Interesting, I didn't know it was 8000 feet in an airplane. I guess it would take more work to keep it closer to sea-level pressure. Does that mean they have to use high-altitude baking directions? :p

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Err... yeah... I thought the main group of people who were going to buy the MBA were people who fly a lot... :S This makes it useless for those kinda people doesn't it?

Read some other posts around you.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Interesting, I didn't know it was 8000 feet in an airplane. I guess it would take more work to keep it closer to sea-level pressure.

Not necessarily more work, but the increased pressure differential (particularly at the highest altitudes) puts more stress on the airplane. The new carbon fiber planes are able to push this further: the 787 will be pressurized to 6,000 feet, while the A350 may go to 5,000, increasing passenger comfort.

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
The 80GB Samsung hard drive in the air is Rated to 3000 meters operating which is just under 10k feet so I bet you thats the primary reason for the restriction.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Not necessarily more work, but the increased pressure differential (particularly at the highest altitudes) puts more stress on the airplane. The new carbon fiber planes are able to push this further: the 787 will be pressurized to 6,000 feet, while the A350 may go to 5,000, increasing passenger comfort.

It also depends on where you are getting off the plane. I once was on a flight to Santa Cruz, Bolivia with a stop in La Paz. It was the first time I got winded after they opened the door just switching seats. For flights to places like that, I wouldn't want to go from 5 or 6,000 ft. to 11,000 ft. instantanously.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
The 80GB Samsung hard drive in the air is Rated to 3000 meters operating which is just under 10k feet so I bet you thats the primary reason for the restriction.
If I remember correctly, the altitude restriction for devices that contain hard drives has to do with the aerodynamics of multikilo-RPM spinning platters functioning a little differently in thinner air. Since virtually no one (or at least a very, very small percentage of people) lives or works above 10K feet, that's what the hard drive designers design to. If they built all hard drives to work as high as, say, 30K feet, the design would have to be slightly different (to accommodate the greater variation in atmospheric pressure) and hard drives would probably be slightly larger and/or more expensive to build.

I would imagine that the SSD-equipped MBA does not have this restriction... although I do know that some screen technologies (plasma, mostly) also have altitude restrictions because the gas-filled elements may behave differently under lower atmospheric pressure.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008

...and as an interesting side note: the nice bizjets (e.g., Gulfstream G5) fly higher (up to 51,000ft vs. the high 30s that airliners typically fly in) but maintain a lower cabin altitude (typically 6,000ft). That + lower noise + comfier seats/beds makes flying first class commercial feel like a painful way to fly.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Another cool plane will be the boeing dreamliner, apparently it will be pressurized to a be equivalent to a somewhat lower level.

88MVP

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
lol. i can't tell if you're joking, but the reason air marshal bullets make the whole airplane explode is the interior is pressurized.

I'm not sure if you're joking, :p but bullets won't make an airplane explode. This is a movie myth. Mythbusters actually did an episode where they debunked this.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
lol. i can't tell if you're joking, but the reason air marshal bullets make the whole airplane explode is the interior is pressurized.

And I can't tell if you are joking. Piercing an airplane window or skin with a bullet does not make the whole airplane explode. Very little happens actually except for loosing cabin pressure. Oh Hollywood, your entertainment is fun to watch, but so misleading!

EDIT: LOL, great minds think alike... I was actually thinking of the exact same episode, but I typed too slow...

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
10,000 ft. is hardly high. Mammoth Mountain is 11,059 ft.

So i've skiied higher than the maximum operating altitude. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.