Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Want more than 24hrs to watch iTunes Rentals? Just change yo...

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Want more than 24hrs to watch iTunes Rentals? Just change your system time.
Description:: Confirmed: Fiddling with your system date/time will add years to the 24hr once-started viewing window.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:29 PM   #2
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

This reminds me of the olds days when I'd do this to change the time stamp on school files when I forgot to turn them in on time or worked on them paste the due date. This would allow me to show the professor I hadn't changed it since before the due date.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple blocks this. "Shouldn't" be too hard for them to come up with a tactic. I'll think about trying it if I find something to rent this weekend.
angelwatt is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
northy124
macrumors 68020

I wonder if anyone has tried moving the video from the itunes download file for rentals and renaming and re-encoding if needed see if they get a 3 dollar movie instead of 14.99
northy124 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
This reminds me of the olds days when I'd do this to change the time stamp on school files when I forgot to turn them in on time or worked on them paste the due date. This would allow me to show the professor I hadn't changed it since before the due date.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple blocks this. "Shouldn't" be too hard for them to come up with a tactic. I'll think about trying it if I find something to rent this weekend.
Those style of hacks work also on allot of trial software by setting the date back so that it wont reach the 30 days.

I don't think Apple really cares but the studios may.
Even if they stop this somehow, there will be other ways to hack the system or even being able to rip them at some point alas the songs.
dukeblue91 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:32 PM   #5
iWizzard
macrumors regular

If you are going to do this, why not just go to the pirate bay?
iWizzard is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:34 PM   #6
macfan881
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to macfan881
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWizzard View Post
If you are going to do this, why not just go to the pirate bay?
because how offten will you get lucky and find a good dvd quality of a movie on there
macfan881 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:17 PM   #7
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
Those style of hacks work also on allot of trial software by setting the date back so that it wont reach the 30 days.

I don't think Apple really cares but the studios may.
Even if they stop this somehow, there will be other ways to hack the system or even being able to rip them at some point alas the songs.
Interesting point you bring up, most Trial software is very easy to reset, such as iWork and Aperture.

Whether people want to is the bigger question, is it morally right?

I think the answer is know. No system is 100% infaliable. I guess it boils down to how much you trust your users. If you don't treat them like “criminals” are they less likely to act like “criminals”.
elppa is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:54 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Also note, you can START the movie again up to 24 hours later. You don't have to finish it. But once you're playing past the deadline, it's like a real movie theater: no pausing or stopping (A warning appears if you try to.)

Still, it's another hour or two grace in a pinch.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:16 PM   #9
GamecockMac
Banned

This bug has already been "fixed."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/...tal.bug.fixed/
GamecockMac is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:15 AM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

In fact, apparently if you start play before the deadline and just leave the movie window open and don't close or stop it, you can play it again after the deadline. Just minimize and mute if you don't want to watch it before the deadlie, then scrub the playhead back to start when you really want to watch it.

Details here:
http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/www...b=5&o=0&part=2

This is different from the clock trick that has been "fixed." (And simpler too.) Though it may get "fixed" as well.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Yup, it's broke.

Error 5103. I set my clock forward to two days before the 30-day limit, so that even if it gets fixed, I might theoretically be able to play it when the real time matches the time I had set my clock to. I guess I'll find out on Feb 4th.

Note: It won't transfer to my iPhone, either. What is most obnoxious is that it copies the file to the iPhone first, then it gives the error.

Even if I set my clock forward, it still gives the error. For both playing on my computer, and when transferring to my iPhone.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion