New Company claims their Chips will turn PC's into "Super ... - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:04 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

New Company claims their Chips will turn PC's into "Super ...

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: New Company claims their Chips will turn PC's into "Super Computers"

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:46 PM   #2
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

October 14th - the day I first heard the term "Petaflop".

First time I heard of a Terrabyte was when I worked at Boeing. They had a large crate that held 15 years of F-18 flight data

First time I heard talk of Gigahertz (w/ regard to computer speed) was in an article about possible max computer speeds in the year 2002 (which seemed far off at the time)
mainstreetmark is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:07 PM   #3
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
sounds nice - and the approach of it being a PC card add on is quite cool. I hope they also do macs.....it would be a great way to upgrade without getting a whole new computer every time....

D
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:48 PM   #4
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Something smells fishy

All positives and no negatives? Something doesn't sound quite right. High performance, high throughput, low power, low cost? I'll believe it when I see it.
aarond12 is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:27 PM   #5
yamabushi
macrumors 65816

G5DX

Well, this kind of impressive perfomance has been achieved before for very specialized applications. A math coprocessor isn't a new idea either. I believe that the approach is sound. A seperate Clearspeed or other Altivec-like coprocessor operating next to a G5 might boost perfomance sooner and cheaper than waiting for the next boost in clock speed.

Actually, Macs are in a good position to take advantage of this idea. If IBM were to build a massive Altivec core on its own die, any code that takes advantage of Altivec would be able to use it.

IBM and Apple might choose to give the new chip a few additional math functions or just leave it as it is. Either way math intensive apps could get a real boost. So who wants a G5DX? (pardon the Intel nomenclature)
yamabushi is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Laslo Panaflex
macrumors 65816

Yeah, I agree this sounds to good to be true. I think that they are needing money to complete a working prototype and are trying to get money from investors. I will believe it when I see it as well.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:27 PM   #7
XnavxeMiyyep
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via MSN to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via Yahoo to XnavxeMiyyep
If this does come out for PC's Tuesday, we may lose our Altivec advantage, but IBM would probably soon come up with a counter to it. If it comes out for both Macs and PC's on Tuesday, then our processors may benefit significantly. I would probably buy it if it did work for Macs, and it really did work.
XnavxeMiyyep is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:35 PM   #8
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Quote:
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
If this does come out for PC's Tuesday, we may lose our Altivec advantage, but IBM would probably soon come up with a counter to it. If it comes out for both Macs and PC's on Tuesday, then our processors may benefit significantly. I would probably buy it if it did work for Macs, and it really did work.
This co-processor uses a regular PCI and PCMCIA interfaces, so it should be able to be adapted for Macs. If it's adapted to Macs, it can only be an advantage, since it will narrow the perceived performance gap between PCs and Macs (G5 notwithstanding).
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:53 PM   #9
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Wouldn't the standard PCI bus sort of limit the Supercomputer aspect of the machine?

Since the machine is limited by the I/O, which limits the real world max flops to the speed of the data pipe.

Some of the Motorola prototype tech companies were showing off some enhanced PCI-buses with a RIO port to connect the PCI cards to the switched fabric.

Yeah, yeah people have a hardon for Hypertransport -- but the Hypertransport-to-RIO bridge shouldn't cause as big a bottleneck as a PCI bus.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:06 PM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Why do I find this bull?

I mean not small bull...

Big piles of bull...

IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion