Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
evillageprowler
macrumors regular

iPhone as a wifi router?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and thus allow a laptop or even an ipt to access the internet through its data plan?

I know this is possible with other windows mobile-based smartphones.

EVP
evillageprowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

No. The phone does not have this functionality.
iPhone 5 Black
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
upsguy27
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
Quote:
Originally Posted by evillageprowler View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and thus allow a laptop or even an ipt to access the internet through its data plan?

EVP
i'd also like to know if this is possible. I think i've heard it been done before; i'll try to find the article.

ahh, found it: http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/tether-your-iphone

Last edited by upsguy27; Jan 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added link
upsguy27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:13 PM   #4
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:

EVP
You can do it. There is a workaround and plenty of guides out there to do it. However, the downside is if AT&T finds out you are using your iPhone for tethering they can cut out your data plan as it violates the terms of the iPhone Data Plan.

Beleive me AT&T has been in the data service for over 20 years and they know whats is going on in their network. If you choose to tether, I would suggest to use it for the shortest time possible and only for an important issue or emergency issue.
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
sr5878
macrumors 6502a

is it possible to tether using wifi and not the data plan?

i live in a dorm where wireless is not available. my friend's touch picks up wifi, but my mpb can't. possible?
sr5878 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
evillageprowler
macrumors regular

You can do it. There is a workaround and plenty of guides out there to do it. However, the downside is if AT&T finds out you are using your iPhone for tethering they can cut out your data plan as it violates the terms of the iPhone Data Plan.

Beleive me AT&T has been in the data service for over 20 years and they know whats is going on in their network. If you choose to tether, I would suggest to use it for the shortest time possible and only for an important issue or emergency issue.

So I guess this means that there will never be an official app for the iPhone that will allow me to turn it into a wifi hotspot, even though other phones (with other data plans) allow this.

I currently have an IPT and would like to occasionally have it access the Internet. I was hoping that I'd be able to use an iPhone for this purpose...

How would AT&T know? Something akin to mac addr sniffing?

EVP
evillageprowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:51 PM   #7
faaflyer
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to faaflyer
iphone wifi answer

I heard today on TII Today in iphone podcast,
there is a app available thru cydia .
please listen to TII ephisode 113 for more info.
I believe from cydia you find a app/store called rock, then
download "myfi" its 9.95

UPDATE: PDANET is now available for the iphone, by june fabrics,
it will broadcast a wifi from the iphone. I used it on windows mobile phone, worked great.

Last edited by faaflyer; Jan 12, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
faaflyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Almy
macrumors 6502

Heck of a bump there. But yes you can do that if you Jailbreak.
Almy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:11 AM   #9
stevetim
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
He probably used the.....SEARCH function!! You know how some members here think it pertinent to tell people to use it. Well, guys, it seems someone may have done just that. Jump in and praise HIM.

Lol.
stevetim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:51 AM   #10
sapporobaby
Banned

While this might seem cumbersome, you can also purchase a cheap Nokia phone and install a piece of software called JoikuSpot. It will turn your the Nokia into a wifi router and identify itself to the AT&T network as such. This way AT&T sees on the data connection to the phone, and not the clients behind the connection. Another option it to work in Finland where I currently am and have unlimited data with tethering for about 20 dollars a month.
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:53 AM   #11
superflush
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
Does AT&T still charge you for tethering once you install PDAnet?
superflush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:15 AM   #12
Mademan12321
macrumors 6502

I avg about 2 1/2 GB of data used through tethering. I have always received the same bill. It has never gone up or changed in 6 months. As long as your not using it for your main download or using it to replace your home internet service then you should be good to go.
Mademan12321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:22 AM   #13
superflush
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan12321 View Post
I avg about 2 1/2 GB of data used through tethering. I have always received the same bill. It has never gone up or changed in 6 months. As long as your not using it for your main download or using it to replace your home internet service then you should be good to go.
Oh okay, hm, I was under the impression that they (AT&T) won't be putting a stop to that by charging people.
But perhaps they are just looking at your data usage as a whole, and if it isn't a huge bulge of data, they let you be.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:57 AM   #14
JasonMoore
macrumors newbie

Yeah...i had the same impression as well..just gotta remain under the minimum threshold
JasonMoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:30 PM   #15
dankybear
macrumors regular

i tether on the $10 data unlimited plan... never heard a peep
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:32 PM   #16
superflush
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankybear View Post
i tether on the $10 data unlimited plan... never heard a peep
What plan is that?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:53 PM   #17
8Limes
macrumors newbie

My friend also had a 10$ unlimited plan (1st Gen) but had to switch to unlimited for 25$ after the purchase of the iPhone 4. They honored his loyalty and they let him choose the grandfathered contract instead the 2GB limited for 20$. I had months where I downloaded more than 10GB and never heard anything from at&t either.

I am looking even into a way to hook up my iphone with a 3G router which again is hooked up to my home network. After all I do not need internet at home when I am not there. But as soon as I get home I would like just to hook up my phone with the 3G router and have a perfectly configured home network. I use pda.net for tethering at the moment, but this is not good enough of a solution for my devices. Once 4G will be available it is not even worth for me to keep comcast any longer for their internet either. But until then I have to pay for both anyway. I hope a solution will come soon, because the cradlepoint works with many other smartphones, except the iPhone. Maybe the Akuratek 3g router or other ones will work. I asked pda.net as well if they support 3G routers, but I have never heard from them although I made a few inquiries. TV is included in my maintenance fees of my apartment, but that I am fine with though. I would not want a dish anywhere near my place anyway, and most likely would not be allowed either. As long as you do not need https pda.net is even free to use. I still have an unregistered version and never had the need to buy one. But if it would work I would be happy to pay 29.99 for it.
8Limes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:57 PM   #18
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Limes View Post
snip
really? you dug this up from January??? wow! thats crazy
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:

EVP
You have an iPhone with data plan but want to access the web on your ipt? Why not just search the web on your iPhone?
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:36 PM   #20
bossxii
macrumors 68000

Yes it can be done. Jailbreak + MyWi from Cydia = wifi tethering to any device. I've been using it for my iPad and several coworkers use it for their laptops to avoid all the "policies" in place at work that kill streaming video. I probably run 3 to 7 gigs a month, never had as much as a warning from AT&T and been doing this for nearly 2 years.

I turn it on when i get to work and let it run all day, 8 hours a day and it's never been an issue. I am still on the unlimited plan and stream Slingplayer to watch many sporting events such as golf and ESPN stuff daily.

Could AT&T cut me off? sure.. but my guess is unless I was running a bit torrent 24/7 they would rather just keep me paying them for their service vs canceling it because they believe I am tethering. Since the most recent update I get excellent speeds as well, 2 to 3mb down with only 2 or 3 bars in the office.
bossxii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:31 AM   #21
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

It is possible. You basically have two choices. Get ripped off monthly, and use ATT's 'official' tethering, or jailbreak your phone and get MyWi from Cydia. When you look at it, going the 'official' route costs you a monthly charge, and plus, there's a quota on your bandwidth. If you opt to use MyWi, you pay 20 dollars up front and that's it. And the beauty of it is: if you already have an unlimited data plan, you don't have to downgrade it to get tethering like you would if you went through ATT.

It's your choice in the end, but in my honest opinion, going with ATT is a let down and a rip off.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:01 AM   #22
Eldiablojoe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5878 View Post
is it possible to tether using wifi and not the data plan?

i live in a dorm where wireless is not available. my friend's touch picks up wifi, but my mpb can't. possible?
You must go to Luddite University.
Eldiablojoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting