Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've spent another long day combing the floors of Macworld San Francisco 2008 and posting some of the best of what Macworld has to offer. Here is a quick rundown of what the day brought:

- EA's Spore - a new Intel-only universe simulator
- Ecamm Network - a remote iPhone Camera proof of concept
- RAGE Software - webmaster tools
- Ntractive Elements SBM - hybrid desktop/web small business management application
- Ambrosia Software - WireTap Studio, Aquaria, and iToner
- Macworld Head Turners - products that made us look twice
- Opinion: The Other MacBook Air Market - a followup to the 'Lack of 3G a Deal Breaker' article.

Continuing coverage of Macworld San Francisco 2008 at https://www.macrumors.com/mwsf/.

See Also: Yesterday's Wrapup, including Macworld Best of Show

Article Link

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Worst MacWorld ever. And I've been to over a dozen. I used to look forward to this day for months, this year I was bored after 30 minutes. How many iPod accessories can you look at before your eyes glaze over? ATI and Nvidia blowing it off was a bummer.

dnedved

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Amsterdam, NL
I agree that the airbook is perfect for non power users. I'll be buying 2 this summer -- one to replace my 17" powerbook, and one to replace my wife's 12" powerbook which she inherited from me. Lack of 3G doesn't really bother me that much, I assume I could probably get on via my mobile and bluetooth if I felt so inclined. Shiny screen, being way too large for a subnote, and the high pricetag are my only complaints.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
It makes me feel better that people are disappointed in this Macworld- at least I know this isn't the norm. I am not yet a Mac user, but will be soon. The MBA was such a huge disappointment though as it offers nothing I want over the current line up so I feel like I waited a long time to just buy a Macbook.

Conspiracy theory: Did Mac put the Air out knowing it would not be popular so that all those who wait for MWSF would buy up the Macbooks/Macbook Pro only to use all this new tech to put out something really cool with plenty of features at a price people want?

sterno74

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Mac Gaming

One thing I continue to be severely disappointed with is the backing of gaming on macs. I have a dual boot set up on my Mac Pro because it's the only way I can play a decent selection of games. EA's announcement of Spore for Mac just proves my point because the port is using Transgaming's technology. I tried to play C&C 3 on my Mac Pro which also uses that trick and it was sooooo SLOW.

It was slow on a dual proc, dual core system with an X1900XT video card. Are you kidding me? When I play my games on the windows side they are, without fail, screamingly fast. I can crank up all the graphics settings to the max and it doesn't skip a beat. So it's not a hardware thing, it's all of that translation that's bogging it down.

I guess the assumption is that anybody who wants to play games will just go play them on a PS3 or an XBox, or dual boot, and be done with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.