Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dblester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Atlanta, GA
can someone explain the difference between the certified netlist RAM and the OWC qualified RAM other then the price. thanks

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
i think i read somewhere that there's some specific battery of tests they have to go through, but the cheaper stuff is tested extensively too.

they're both fine, i really don't think there's any good reason to get the more expensive stuff.

mralexander

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Los Angeles
i think netlist is a certified apple manufacturer hence the more expensive price. but usually the OWC certified parts are fully tested as rockinrocker mentioned.

its always best to see if they were manufactured using the same apple specifications. Although apple recommends using the memory they provide, i think their prices are absolutely ridiculous, and the outside sources i purchased from have been good to me so far.

Graphis

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
If I could just add my twopennyworth: I think Apple like to capitalise on the fear we all have that their RAM is the only one that will work properly all the time in their machines.... they don't say this specifically, but they like to subtly imply it. In fact, I've always bought my RAM from 3rd party vendors, at much cheaper prices. A little research, on the web, or in a newsagents first, and you'll soon know what kind you need. I haven't had a single problem with 3rd party RAM in almost 20 years.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
One of the most common problems people have with their computers is cheap RAM going bad after a year or 2. That said, low priced is not necessarily bad. Just have to know which ones have a history of reliability and which ones are junk. OWC is fine.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I'll post in here instead of starting a new thread....

I, too, will be buying from OWC. I am thinking of buying the 4-gig kit (2x2), for a total of 6 gigs. That also leaves me with 4 open memory slots for future memory goodness.

I read somewhere that it's optimal to have 1-gig per core??? Is there any hard data to back up that claim? If that's the case I'd need an additional (2x1) to make the 8 gigs. If I give 2 gigs to Fusion or Parallels, that leaves 4 for Logic Pro. I wonder if that'll be enough.....

aschuett

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
can someone explain the difference between the certified netlist RAM and the OWC qualified RAM other then the price. thanks

Both have lifetime advanced exchange warranty, have the same bus speeds, have ECC, and should work wonderfully. The only reason I would advise anyone to get the Netlist is if they have a money tree, if the Netlist memory would give you a much better feeling of reliability, and if that 100% reliability were absolutely critical in a business environment (i.e. somebody would gun you down if you're inoperative for a day).

I (well, the company I work for) just dropped $8,000 on a MacPro, RAM, and some terrabyte drives for an HD video editing station... we did not get the Netlist for our application.

If you're so inclined, check out the warranty here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/Framework.cfm?page=PowerBook_Memory/memhead/warranty.html

aschuett

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
I read somewhere that it's optimal to have 1-gig per core??? Is there any hard data to back up that claim? If that's the case I'd need an additional (2x1) to make the 8 gigs. If I give 2 gigs to Fusion or Parallels, that leaves 4 for Logic Pro. I wonder if that'll be enough.....

You can always buy more.

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada

I, too, will be buying from OWC. I am thinking of buying the 4-gig kit (2x2), for a total of 6 gigs. That also leaves me with 4 open memory slots for future memory goodness.

Just a thought. I ordered my RAM from OWC on Jan.13 and it's still not in stock so if you want your RAM soon order now.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
i could be wrong but im really not too worried about not getting RAM in time my ship date is Feb 21... sigh

Yeh I haven't even bothered to order mine yet, nor more HD's.

Differences in the RAM? Well the RAM is built to a certain spec which means, assuming it works, you won't see a difference. BAD RAM usually manifests as either not registering at all or by crashing the entire system, i.e. Kernel Panic. The Apple hardware test on the boot CD will usually show you if it's bad or not, if you should suspect you might have a bad stick. Cheaper RAM is more prone to be defective, but most vendors if not manufacturers have lifetime replacement guarantees. I've got really crappy bargain basement RAM in my G5 and it's run perfectly for 4 years. I've also seen brand new sticks of brand name RAM come bad from the factory. My belief as an IT professional is that it's perfectly safe to order the cheaper RAM- but don't come knocking on my door if you get defective pieces. I would avoid the "cheapest" RAM however, and for server/critical applications steer toward the best. For me the vendor is as important if not more so than the RAM. Will they replace it if it fails 11 months down the road, and what's the turnaround?

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Will be getting a 12GB set to complement the 2GB standard for 14 total. If I bring it in for Applecare, I'l yank the 3rd party RAM and leave in the OEM 2.

Would like 16 or 32, but the cost/benefit ratio ends around 14/16 for me. It would be worth the money to sell them back, but I'd rather just leave as is(see above).

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007

First, unlike OS 9 and prior, RAM allocation is done automatically by OS X so you can't "give" RAM to one program or another (you also left out the RAM usage that the OS X system will need).

I am not sure where this 1GB per core idea came from, but it is something I read before and don't put much stock in. As far as I am concerned, the amount of RAM you need is based on the amount RAM your software uses regardless of the number of cores. My G4 PowerBook has 1.25GB of RAM for its single core, yet if it were possible, it would benefit greatly from MUCH more RAM than 1GB per core--on this machine, I'd love 8GB/core if I had the ability to put that much RAM in. On the flip side, if you are running one 32Bit App on top of OSX, even if you have eight cores, 8GB of RAM could be more than you need since each 32Bit App will only use 4GB of physical RAM.

See my posts in this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/414355/) for my thoughts on how to figure out how much RAM to stick in your Mac Pro.

aschuett

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
For me the vendor is as important if not more so than the RAM. Will they replace it if it fails 11 months down the road, and what's the turnaround?

All grades of the OWC MacPro ram have lifetime advance exchange warranty - hence why I see no reason to pay >50% more for most cases. As you pointed out, uptime-critical servers would be an exception there.

LostSunrise

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Ramjet

does anyone have any expierience with RAMJET? Just wondering I think I missed the boat on OWCs stock and I need this ram soon. I ordered on tuesday night and my order is still "processing"

mralexander

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Los Angeles
i could be wrong but im really not too worried about not getting RAM in time my ship date is Feb 21... sigh

if you need the memory asap, i purchased my 16gb kit from memoryamerica.com. i've had no problems so far and received it overnight. i think the total came out to around $860 for me, but then i had to pay CA state tax. (the kit was $775 last i remember)

they were pretty nice when i called to ask if they were in stock, and they told me they were one of the first so you could always check with them.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
I was thinking of getting 16GB ram (4x4) from OWC (seems like the only
vendor selling 4GB modules). Anyway, the price difference between NetList
and normal stuff are as follow:

4 x 4 GB NetList 1,649.99 Normal 1,399.99 a difference of $250
8 x 2 GB NetList 1,279.99 Normal 779.99 a difference of $500 !!

Could anyone please comment on this? 4 different price point to chose
from!

Thanks!

mralexander

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Los Angeles
I was thinking of getting 16GB ram (4x4) from OWC (seems like the only
vendor selling 4GB modules). Anyway, the price difference between NetList
and normal stuff are as follow:

4 x 4 GB NetList 1,649.99 Normal 1,399.99 a difference of $250
8 x 2 GB NetList 1,279.99 Normal 779.99 a difference of $500 !!

Could anyone please comment on this? 4 different price point to chose
from!

Thanks!

Netlist is a certified apple manufacturer therefore the prices are higher and the quality might be better. With my experience though, i havn't had any issues with 3rd party manufacturers, so i would go with the Normal ones.

I purchased mine from memoryamerica.com since they had them in stock, but i noticed they put up 4gb modules for a bit less. here is a link if you want to try taking a look.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Netlist is a certified apple manufacturer therefore the prices are higher and the quality might be better. With my experience though, i havn't had any issues with 3rd party manufacturers, so i would go with the Normal ones.

I purchased mine from memoryamerica.com since they had them in stock, but i noticed they put up 4gb modules for a bit less. here is a link if you want to try taking a look.

Thanks for the link. 4 x 4GB is 1,390.00 it says "apple approved" - any
different from "certified apple manufacturer"?

I take it that it is comparable to
OWC's NetList 4 x 4GB that costs 1,649.99? :rolleyes:

mralexander

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for the link. 4 x 4GB is 1,390.00 it says "apple approved" - any
different from "certified apple manufacturer"?

I take it that it is comparable to
OWC's NetList 4 x 4GB that costs 1,649.99? :rolleyes:

it looks to me that the ones on memoryamerica.com are equivalent to the OWC certified ones. They look similar, and the prices are closer to each other. The netlist modules have a different heatsink on them, the ones i have from memoryamerica are similar to the heatsinks on the OWC qualified for Mac Pro.

personally, the cost difference for the netlist certified modules are not worth it. especially, if the wait is longer and the costs are ridiculously higher than the modules i'm currently using.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida

Not likely. I expect it to be right around the corner.

Also, the NetList is not worth it. If you like, I can take the same lower priced OWC RAM and put my stamp of approval on it and just charge $300 more for it if you'd like. It's going to be the same thing. And for the margin of difference in price, you really should just avoid the NetList certification.

The bottom line: if OWC sells it, you really are buying good RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.