Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paytl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
So here's my story...

I've been able to create multiple custom ringtones using garageband and have them in my itunes ringtones folder. The problem I have is when i sync. I've tried to sync in 2 different ways.

1. sync ringtones via the ringtones tab that appears when my iphone is plugged in

2. drag and drop my ringtones directly to the iphone (i updated to 1.1.3)

in both cases, the ringtones appear in the ringtones tab on the iphone, but when i go to sounds-->ringtone folder under "custom", I just see one of the ringtones repeated (if i sync 3 ringtones, 1 ringtone appears listed 3 times).

The 1 ringtone that does appear (multiple times) works fine, i just can't get multiple ringtones to appear and work

someone else posted this problem in an old thread, but I looked around and never found a solution to it. see below.

Hey guys! Newbie here in the forums....just a quick question.....I've followed the instructions and have made 2 ringtones....successfully....now when I try to sync both to my phone it only copies one of them twice. I have 2 copies the same ringtone in my custom folder. If I just select one or the other they are there but if I try to sync both, it just has 2 copies of the same song. Any help would be awesome!!! Thanks!

anyone have any ideas?

thanks for your help

paytl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
So apparently I didn't look hard enough as i just found the below post. I tried unclicking the "manual" selection and the ringtones are on there fine.

My apologies....Mods, feel free to trash this thread. I'm going to go sit in the corner for a while, sorry guys

Updated to 7.6 and 1.1.3 today, and now my ringtones are acting very strange. I have 30 custom ringtones, that all worked great yesterday. After the update, it lists 30 copies of one of them. I've tried Syncing all, Syncing selected, and dragging and dropping 1 at a time, and all of them. Nothing works.

EDIT: Problem fixed. Unchecked the "Manual" selection on the Summary page.

hapr32

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
I unchecked the manual box on my summary page, and then I was not allowed to transfer ringtones to my iPhone at all. Please help me! I'm sure this is very easy, I am just having a brain fart. Thanks!!!!

Macc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Hi,

I have the same issue than the writer of this post, except that i can't fix it the same way.

I created the ringtones from mp3 files: converted the first 30 sec to AAC, copied to the desktop, renamed .m4a to .m4r. It worked once by directly dragging the m4r file to the iPhone's rintones playlist. Now after an OS restore it not working anymore.

Dragging the file to the iTunes, it's not copying it, but selects the original mp3 file in the library. Dragging it to the phone's ringtone playlist will do nothing. It syncs, but it will not appear on any playlist, nor under preferences, sounds, ringtones.

It is not working with any ringtone syncing method.

Can anyone tell me, what i'm doing wrong?

ps: sorry for my bad english.

davidlawrence

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Similar problem, no solution yet

When I first got my iPhone 3GS, I was able to sync third-party ringtones without a problem (from ringtonefeeder.com, macmost ringtones, etc.). Now they will not sync no matter what I try.

I can create my own ringtones in Garageband and transfer them to iTunes and sync with the iPhone without a problem. Works great. It's just any ringtones that I get from third parties.

These are not "fly-by-night" third parties, so I would be surprised if they were doing something wrong when they create them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-David

cassiopeia281

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Same Problem, New Details

Okay so I am using the most recent iTunes 8 and I did everything that everyone says on this site, however under Summary there is no option to check or uncheck manual. I have taken all information out of the General Info and still the same song repeats. Is there something new I must do?

PLEASE HELP!
I've been struggling with this stuff all night!

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
I find it pretty simple guys. Its:

1. Create a 30 second clip of the song you like, and convert that song to AAC (make sure you go back to the original song and uncheck the times you had for the ringtone)

2. Drag that newly created clip to the desktop.

3. Delete the clip from iTunes.

4. Rename the clip's extension M4A -> M4R

5. Double-click the song, and it will play in your ringtones section of your iTunes.

WUANTON

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
After updating to 3.1.2, I cannot sync/add custom/homemade ringtones.

If I click on the 'sync ringtones' option in iTUNES 'RINGTONES', it will alert me that all my music, movies & TV Shows will be removed. Whats that about. Am I missing something?

essence56

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Sync Ringtones

I have been searching for the solution to the same problem.

After updating to 3.1.2, I cannot sync/add custom/homemade ringtones.

If I click on the 'sync ringtones' option in iTUNES 'RINGTONES', it will alert me that all my music, movies & TV Shows will be removed. Whats that about. Am I missing something?

dariusm

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
I saw the same warning message for my phone. Here's the workaround that worked on my iPhone.

In iTunes, in the Summary tab for your phone, de-select "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected." Click "Apply." The phone will begin a manual sync. WHILE this is happening, drag the ringtones you want from the iTunes ringtone list onto the iPhone. If it works for you like it did for me, the ringtones will appear in the ringtones list on your iPhone.

This only worked while the phone was being manually sync'ed. When I waited until after the manual sync to drag some new tones onto the phone, they didn't get added. I just clicked "sync" and dragged more tones on during the sync.

My playlists and whatnot were not trashed doing this.

If you like an automatic sync, you can re-select the automatic sync after you're done with this.

greenmachine

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
Ringtones for Iphone

Allright guys,

Ok I've created ringtones they play and they are in the ringtone tab under devices, I have unchecked the automatically sync option. When i check the ringtones either all or the select ones I want. I still cannot get them to sync with my Iphone. Does anybody have a solution? Please Help!!!

stevewombat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Success

I too was having problems getting a DIY ringtone down to my phone.
It was in iTunes 9.0.1.8, but wouldn't get synced.
I tried the approach copying the ringtone into the ringtone directory after the synch had started. I also had "all" ringtones selected.
I now have a great ringtone on my phone.
Thanks for the help

lozza24

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
I too was having problems getting a DIY ringtone down to my phone.
It was in iTunes 9.0.1.8, but wouldn't get synced.
I tried the approach copying the ringtone into the ringtone directory after the synch had started. I also had "all" ringtones selected.
I now have a great ringtone on my phone.
Thanks for the help

Hi, I have ad the same problems as described by everyone on here. I have a 16gb 3gs and am using a pc with itunes 9.0.1.8. I have tried dragging the file whilst te phone is synching, but this didn't work for me. I just wondered what you were referring to when you said you had "all" ringtones selected. this might be where I am going wrong. Any help would begreatly appreciated the old style phone ring tone is driving me nuts!!

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
ok here is a little chck list you guys need to go through when making ringtones.

1. how long is the ringtone? no more then say 37 seconds
  2. is there any extra information attached to the ringtone? artist name? date made? anything aside from the name will cause multipule ringtones to show up.
  3. i never use the synce over the ringtones options, it is buggy in my opinion just use the drag'n'drop but for that you need to manualy manage music and videos.
  4. make sure that your ringtone is imported into itunes first before
    you sync over to the iphone, this will usualy avoid any sort of bugs.

follow these steps and it should work.

macfan60

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
solution to sync ringtones for Iphone problem

Apparently Ringtones in ITunes are considered music and cannot be synced if you manually mange your music. It you try to sync it deletes all music. If you manually manage ringtones they do not transfer to the Iphone by dragging to the ringtones folder on the device. I found this work around to manually manage ringtones. And this also explains how to make ringtones in ITunes. I'm using ITunes 9.0.2 on a Mac and have an IPhone 3G s.
1) In music library select the song that you want as a ringtone. The KIND must be “Purchased AAC audio file”
2) Decide where to start and end it to create 30 seconds of play time
3) Right click to Get Info
4) Select Start and Stop time in Options
5) Click OK.
6) Select song again in music library. Right click. Select Convert to AAC.
7) Creates duplicate in your Music list.
8) Drag to desktop.
9) Rename file from M4A to M4r.
10: Import/Add to Library
11) Drag to Device ICON not Ringtone folder

fartey

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
New Zealand
Bug or Protection

came across this thread I just recently discovered that I could not anymore sync all my ringtones even the one's that I bought.

I am not really quite sure if it is the version (my version of my iPhone is 3.1.3) (itunes is 9.0.3)

see my problem is not the length of the song but syncing of it. It would appear in my iTunes but when you want to customize it on my iPhone I only got 1 song of it instead of more songs?

Does anyone what kind of problem is this?

or should I start a new thread?

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
came across this thread I just recently discovered that I could not anymore sync all my ringtones even the one's that I bought.

I am not really quite sure if it is the version (my version of my iPhone is 3.1.3) (itunes is 9.0.3)

see my problem is not the length of the song but syncing of it. It would appear in my iTunes but when you want to customize it on my iPhone I only got 1 song of it instead of more songs?

Does anyone what kind of problem is this?

or should I start a new thread?

make suere there is no excess information in the ringtone, just the name of the ringtone. also make sure the ringtone is already in itunes.

what exactly happens when you sync over?

juan g

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
i think..

the same thing happened to me. it would sync the ringtone and show in the ringtone tab of both itunes and the iphone but not show be available on the device itself. i noticed that it occurred after the newest update 9.1 and after i checked off convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps ACC and the the ringtones that did not appear on my phone had a higher bit rate than 128 kbps. i was able to get them to appear on my phone only after i converted these higher bit rate ringtones to 128kbps.

Ffish

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
I have a slight further problem with this issue - can anyone assist? I've done all the above, created the m4r file, put it into the ringtones folder in iTunes and sync'd to my phone. All worked perfectly.

On my phone I go to Settings > Sounds > Ringtone > Custom Ringtone, and my newly created ringtones are there. I select the one I want to use, it plays for 28 seconds. Back to the Sounds menu screen, and the ringtone is checked as my custom choice. I think all is well with the world, and I've cracked it!

I then call my phone from another phone, and the damn thing rings with the Standard ringtone that I had it set to before!! How do make sure that my custom ringtone works when my phone is called?

Esc Man

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
><!!!!! +1 Plz

I have a slight further problem with this issue - can anyone assist? I've done all the above, created the m4r file, put it into the ringtones folder in iTunes and sync'd to my phone. All worked perfectly.

On my phone I go to Settings > Sounds > Ringtone > Custom Ringtone, and my newly created ringtones are there. I select the one I want to use, it plays for 28 seconds. Back to the Sounds menu screen, and the ringtone is checked as my custom choice. I think all is well with the world, and I've cracked it!

I then call my phone from another phone, and the damn thing rings with the Standard ringtone that I had it set to before!! How do make sure that my custom ringtone works when my phone is called?

Same problem as Ffish. Made my own ringtone and everythings great i can play it back on my iphone 4 no problem. but for some reason no matter which one i set as the default ringtone it plays the crappy one that came with the phone. HOWEVER i found that if i set an individual's custom ringtone it WORKS. WTF!? Help plz

trogers11

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Wtf???

Same problem as Ffish. Made my own ringtone and everythings great i can play it back on my iphone 4 no problem. but for some reason no matter which one i set as the default ringtone it plays the crappy one that came with the phone. HOWEVER i found that if i set an individual's custom ringtone it WORKS. WTF!? Help plz

Same with me. Have tried everything to get this to work. Everything looks good, transfers over to the phone, plays on the PC and the phone (in the ringtones when selected) but the default F#$%ing ring plays when someone calls. Driving me nuts.

smartwin

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Solution to more then one custom ringtone

I think i have the solution to the problem that you can only use 1 custom ringtone (that was my problem).

Of course the ringtone can be no longer than 30 seconds and it has to be renamed to m4r.
But the thing I didn't know till just now, is that you have to erase all extra information in the Info dialog, so I just left the song title and killed (erased) all other information (artist, song number etc.)

I even erased the spaces in the title (I don't know if this is nessecary).

But it was the solution to my problem, I now have several custom ringtones on my iPhone (3GS ios 4):D

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Bought RCP's ringtone packs from the iTunes store. Can't install. Changed to .m4r. No dice. Tried everything listed in this thread. No dice.

Why is this so friggin' difficult? :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.