Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemarioz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
In my opinion I think we should not follow tecnology in newest...oldest we should follow best performance.....less performance,guys the macbook air is 700 dls. more than an macbook which performs better!:apple:

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
You pay more for subnotebooks because the technology inside them costs more to make: it has smaller core 2 duo chips than regular C2D ones. If you don't need an ultra-slim laptop, go for the MB. If thickness matters to you, you will have to dish out the extra $500 or so. Up to you.

joemarioz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
You pay more for subnotebooks because the technology inside them costs more to make: it has smaller core 2 duo chips than regular C2D ones. If you don't need an ultra-slim laptop, go for the MB. If thickness matters to you, you will have to dish out the extra $500 or so. Up to you.

Why should I buy a MBA only because it has better tecnology!, I mean yes, the chpset was reduced by 60 percent But why do i need a reduced chipset why would i spend 700 dollars more for a smaller chipset with less performance!

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
Why should I buy a MBA only because it has better tecnology!, I mean yes, the chpset was reduced by 60 percent But why do i need a reduced chipset why would i spend 700 dollars more for a smaller chipset with less performance!
I'm not sure a lot of people will. Especially considering it's foot print is LARGER than the MacBook. (wider and deeper)

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
I'm not sure a lot of people will. Especially considering it's foot print is LARGER than the MacBook. (wider and deeper)

I agree, which is why I said thickness. I guess the selling point for the MacBook Air is the Thickness alone :apple:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

In my opinion I think we should not follow tecnology in newest...oldest we should follow best performance.....less performance,guys the macbook air is 700 dls. more than an macbook which performs better!:apple:

You're obviously not the market Apple is trying to capture with this. It's REALLY light, it looks way cool and it performs decently.

What two groups do I think will lust after this?

Females and the gay population.

Call me sexist or prejudice or whatever...but I bet both the ladies and any gay man will agree with me.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Well, I am neither female, nor gay...but I would like it simply for the weight reduction. I tote my computer around all day everyday and anything that reduces my burden would be great. But, unfortunately, I cannot step up to the plate financially right now...but I think its a great product should it turn out to be fairly durable...:)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You're obviously not the market Apple is trying to capture with this. It's REALLY light, it looks way cool and it performs decently.

What two groups do I think will lust after this?

Females and the gay population.

Call me sexist or prejudice or whatever...but I bet both the ladies and any gay man will agree with me.

Wow...

feminine doesn't necessarily mean gay, and vice versa.
I'd never buy a macbook air, unless i traveled a lot for work or something like that.

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
Too simplistic...

I'd like to just point out that performance is not simply measured in floating point calculations where a portable computer is concerned. A more holistic approach, though more subjective, might also consider how well the computer performs in the environment in which it is used, for example, as a desktop video editor, business travel, or mobile photography. Each of these requires different performance and a different form factor. You cannot reduce a product to its processor's ability.

Nilonym

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lol, I can see all the straight men who ordered one cringing at that comment. :rolleyes:

Oh certainly. I'm just awake all night filled with anxiety about it. In fact, appleretailguy's analysis makes me think I should cancel my wimpy MBA and opt for a nice 17" MBP and a few extra batteries, just so I can show the world how manly I really am. :cool:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Well, I am neither female, nor gay...but I would like it simply for the weight reduction. I tote my computer around all day everyday and anything that reduces my burden would be great. But, unfortunately, I cannot step up to the plate financially right now...but I think its a great product should it turn out to be fairly durable...:)

I didn't mean ONLY females and the gay population.

I suppose I wasn't clear with my point.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Not sure why people are confused. Smaller tech has always cost more. A smaller hd with the same capacity as a larger hd is going to cost more than the larger one.

Also the MacBook Air footprint is the same as the MacBook.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I think a lot of people are dismissing the thickness, weight, and appearance as if they aren't features. They might not be features everyone needs, but I am confident the market is there for the MBA.

As hard as it might be to believe, there really are a lot of people who don't need the fastest processor, hard disk, or firewire. There are even a lot that will base the purchase on appearance alone.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Oh certainly. I'm just awake all night filled with anxiety about it. In fact, appleretailguy's analysis makes me think I should cancel my wimpy MBA and opt for a nice 17" MBP and a few extra batteries, just so I can show the world how manly I really am. :cool:

hahahahaha...

Funny.

I wasn't insinuating that the MBA was ONLY a female/gay purchase.

I was trying to imply that some people buy laptops for reasons other than pure performance, namely looks, functionality, size and weight.

If I had a desktop I'd already have ordered my MBA, and I fit into neither of the groups I mentioned.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
hahahahaha...

Funny.

I wasn't insinuating that the MBA was ONLY a female/gay purchase.

I was trying to imply that some people buy laptops for reasons other than pure performance, namely looks, functionality, size and weight.

If I had a desktop I'd already have ordered my MBA, and I fit into neither of the groups I mentioned.

I definitely like to be on top of tech advancement. The whole custom chip smaller than ever before is very attractive to me. Just like with Desktops, back in my windows days. I'd always go with the smaller stuff, so I didn't have a huge flippin tower.

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Straight male here. Before I bought an iMac, I used a 12 inch PB as my only computer. Now I use the Powerbook in the same way I would use an MBA if I could afford one. It's a small, light notebook that I use on the couch while watching election returns, or while traveling, or to take notes in class, or whatever. It's still a pretty sexy looking computer, but I don't give a damn. What's important is that it is light, small, and can access the internet, type documents, watch movies, and so forth. The MBA is meant to be a secondary computer. Anything that requires any sort of extensive processing is meant to be done on the user's primary system. But the fact that it's sexy is a plus.

joemarioz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
feAtures features features that's all we need guys the MBA doesnt even have front row!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.