Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
I managed to spill a beverage onto my keyboard last night :eek:

Now I have a sticky spacebar. I've done it to other keyboards before and taken them apart for a good (tedious) cleaning key by key, can this be done with the new alu keyboard before I start hacking it apart? Any instructions/diagrams anywhere?

TIA

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Good luck with that! I fried 2 Apple wireless keyboards by spilling coffee on them. The problem is that if the circuit board gets wet while it is powered on, it shorts out. I finally invested in a keyboard skin.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
LOL thanks for the vote of confidence. It's dry now, just sticky, so I think if it was going to short out it would have by now.

Guess I'll just have a try and see how it goes.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Turns out (with some experimentation and a google search) it can't be opened - whole thing is glued. £29 worth of keyboard down the drain! Well, it works, but the spacebar feels horrible.

So - MacRumors Top Tip: Don't spill stuff on the new aluminium keyboard. Ever.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If you are going to be buying another keyboard anyway you could always try washing the keyboard

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Turns out (with some experimentation and a google search) it can't be opened - whole thing is glued. £29 worth of keyboard down the drain! Well, it works, but the spacebar feels horrible.

So - MacRumors Top Tip: Don't spill stuff on the new aluminium keyboard. Ever.

well your next bet is to call applecare, tell them your keyboard situation and ask and see if they can send you out one and youll just send the old one back.

usually theyll still cover keyboards/mice within a one year warranty.
just make sure you state its the newaluminum so they dont send you a acrylic keyboard

:apple:

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
I don't think Applecare covers accidental damage unfortunately. (Even those extended warranties that do, usually exclude liquid damage)

However - false alarm! You don't need to take the keyboard apart at all - I found out how to remove the keycaps from this site:

http://skeltoac.com/2007/10/22/apple-keyboard-aluminum-keycap-removal/

Removed the spacebar carefully, rinsed the key and the plastic scissor mechanisms underneath and dried them off, had a careful mop around the key cavity with a slightly damp cloth (use IPA if you really want to be careful but just a damp cloth worked ok here), dried, replace the key and presto... good as new :D

It can probably only be done a few times, as the scissor mechanisms are very fragile. Too much stress of being pulled out too many times and they're bound to break.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I am sorry you had this issue.

When you say the keyboard is down the drain, did you break it trying to open it, or just give up? I am interested in getting one of these open to paint it, and would be interesting in any info you have about how to go about this.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Actually (as I said later in the thread :)) it wasn't down the drain after all, as I managed to remove the keycap and repair it that way instead. It's essentially a laptop keyboard.

You can't take it apart. I couldn't see any way (no screws under the feet, no clips giving way with pressure) so I googled it and found someone who tried fighting against the glue that actually holds it together... they ended up with torn tracks, and an extremely bent piece of aluminium. It's very much sealed.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
this being an old, thread, so you managed to remove the space bar on the new aluminum keyboard? i have a sticky space bar, not because of spilling stuff on it. i thought i might try this.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hey, I'm a 14 year old kid. I don't know what your talking about. :D
But no, I wasn't. I think I used it too often. I took my space bar off, cleaned it, but its still sticky from time to time. Anything else I can do?

xxmuhahahahahxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
when i got the new aluminum keyboard, i wanted to see if i could remove the keys just in case, so i tried to take off the enter key next to the number pad

when i put it back on, it doesn't lift as far up off the keyboard as it did before, and it doesn't click when i hit it

but it still works

micah clemens

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions

I had a bottle of red wine explode over my desk and after a few days half of the keys on my new wireless aluminum Apple keyboard were sticking.

Some notes after following some of the suggestions above:

Definitely do not remove keys if you don't have to; as you'll see below, you run the risk of breaking the teeth on the keys when you put them back on.

I found that using the corner of a business card was good for prying up the keys.

I cleaned the keys by soaking them in hot water with Oxi Clean, and used a Q-tip to remove the wine in the keyboard cavities.

Once I dried everything, I replaced the keys carefully, but managed to break the top teeth on a few keys (this is bad because one of the top corners will stick up). Luckily I have an older full size aluminum keyboard too and I transplanted the H and , keys successfully. I would recommend using gentle pressure on the top half to lock them in first, and then applying gentle pressure for the bottom keys.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
If you've got the wired version instead of the wireless, you can just wash it under the tap.

I do that periodically with mine, just wash it under plain water, then let it dry overnight before you plug it back in.

Tlkeith

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Fix for sticky keyboard

First remove batteries!!!!
Hold the keyboard flat and soak in rubbing alcohol to the point where it is coming out all the keys. Work the effected keys and shake the alcohol out. Repeat several times to be sure to remove all the sticky stuff. (Chocolate milk in my case from my 5 year old). Almost half my keys were affected and this fixed the problem. Have done this twice now and it still works fine. I did remove the space bar with the instructions given here and this will work also but you run the risk of breaking a tab. With several keys affected this works like a charm. !!!Be sure to let all the alcohol evaporate before powering back up with the batteries. The circuit board be fine if you give the alcohol time to evaporate.

Hope this helps someone
Tracy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.