Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
UK iPhone sales fall short




Category: News and Press Releases
Link: UK iPhone sales fall short
Description:: Of course, it's all just a matter of spin [and valuation]...

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:45 AM   #2
dogtanian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bournemouth, UK
I'll be honest, I love my iPhone and when people realise u have one, they are desperate to see it.... But at then end of the day most people don't want 2 go on a contract or perhaps don't want to be with O2.

Another funny thing is the amount of stupid rumours surrounding the device:

"wow an iPhone! Shame they don't have a camera though, hey wait, what's that on the back!?" or...

"iPhone's are cool but it hasn't even got Bluetooth..."
dogtanian is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Beardy man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
How's the Edge coverage in Bournemouth?

I'd love an iPhone, I don't really want a contract but that's not the deal breaker.

Living in the South West, I have no chance of Edge through O2. Their coverage is appalling. I was in Bristol (largish city by UK standards) and my nephew's iPhone couldn't raise Edge even in the city centre. We did luck into a bit of free WiFi but it was only in one spot. Overall the experience was very frustrating. I know it's down to O2 rather than Apples fault but they'll get the blame.

IF Orange had got the deal, I'd have an iPhone by now.

O2 can't tell me when I'm likely to get decent data coverage (if at all).

I said in a previous post that I know of two people that have abandoned iPhone for their old phones. The reply I got was "two people, woah Apple will be really scared!". Maybe not, but I only know 5 people with iPhones, that's down to 3 now. 40% down on 6 weeks ago. Shouldn't the graph be going the other way?
Beardy man is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:50 PM   #4
jnc
macrumors 68020
 
jnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nunya, Business TX
My brother works at o2 - only things stopping me from having an iPhone now are the rather ridiculous tariffs and the fact I entered an 18 month Nokia N95 contract last April. Also I really, like my number - I've had it 10 years! I wish the iPhone was available on T-Mobile.

I live in Birmingham and Sheffield. 2nd and 7th biggest cities in the UK. I should have no trouble with coverage!
__________________
The views expressed above do not, and are not intended to represent or reflect the opinions, policies and/or statements of my employer(s).
jnc is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:06 AM   #5
iGav
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy man View Post
I know it's down to O2 rather than Apples fault but they'll get the blame.
I'd argue it's solely Apple's fault... they were quite aware they were saddling up with the worst network in the country.

Of course that pales in comparison to launching a product that isn't truly supported outside of... America.
iGav is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
sunfast
macrumors 68020
 
sunfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
I have to say that I really hope that this is true and not just spin.

Apple & O2 need a kick in the arse to sort out the extortionate contract pricing. I'd say current prices are fine if the phone was free or if you have to pay for the handset you shouldn't have to be paying for it again in the contract fees.

I'm just grumpy because I want one!
__________________
upstart racing
sunfast is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:58 AM   #7
jnc
macrumors 68020
 
jnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nunya, Business TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfast View Post
I have to say that I really hope that this is true and not just spin.

Apple & O2 need a kick in the arse to sort out the extortionate contract pricing. I'd say current prices are fine if the phone was free or if you have to pay for the handset you shouldn't have to be paying for it again in the contract fees.

I'm just grumpy because I want one!
No, you're spot on. When I was telling people about the tariffs STARTING at 35, they winced. When I mentioned the 269 unit price they just started laughing.
__________________
The views expressed above do not, and are not intended to represent or reflect the opinions, policies and/or statements of my employer(s).

Last edited by jnc; Jan 21, 2008 at 09:05 AM.
jnc is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:48 AM   #8
dukishdary
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc View Post
No, you're spot on. When I was telling people about the tariffs STARTING at 35, they winced. When I mentioned the 269 unit price they just started laughing.
we'll get the last laugh when those same people end up adopting.

i've found that most people who insult the iphone typically have no hands on experience with it or just can't afford it (which is the case above).
dukishdary is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:02 AM   #9
sunfast
macrumors 68020
 
sunfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukishdary View Post
we'll get the last laugh when those same people end up adopting.

i've found that most people who insult the iphone typically have no hands on experience with it or just can't afford it (which is the case above).
If you are referring to me, it is not about affording an iPhone - it's that I don't feel it is value for money currently.

People are naturally defensive about products they have bought but I don't think people are "insulting" the iPhone by saying O2's pricing plan for it isn't very competetive.

I will be getting an iPhone after it gets 3G but I don't see why anybody would get the "last laugh" out of me, or anybody else who has dared question the pricing strategy, buying one.
__________________
upstart racing
sunfast is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Manic Mouse
macrumors 6502a
 
Manic Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukishdary View Post
we'll get the last laugh when those same people end up adopting.

i've found that most people who insult the iphone typically have no hands on experience with it or just can't afford it (which is the case above).
There's a huge difference between being able to afford something and thinking somethings good value for money. I can easily afford the iPhone, but it's still a rip-off.

"People who complain about iPhone prices can't afford one"

This argument makes me sick. It's arrogant, offensive and also plain wrong.

The iPhone (in the UK) is a rip-off, regardless whether you can afford it or not.

"People who think wiping one's arse with money is a waste simply can't afford it!"- Just as valid as argument!
__________________
MacBook Pro 13": 2.53Ghz C2D, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, OSX 10.6.0
iPhone 3G 16Gb
PS3; Xbox 360; Wii; PSP; DS
Manic Mouse is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:09 AM   #11
jnc
macrumors 68020
 
jnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nunya, Business TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukishdary View Post
we'll get the last laugh when those same people end up adopting.

i've found that most people who insult the iphone typically have no hands on experience with it or just can't afford it (which is the case above).
Ha... except, no. You're talking out of your arse. You can't have any idea of the European phone market:

Prada Phone - FREE

600 mins included each month
500 Text included each month
35 per month, 18 months

LG Viewty - FREE

18 month contract length
400 minutes per month
500 texts per month
but! 15 for first 8 months instead of 30

and for comparison, iPhone... 269

18 months
600 mins
500 texts
45

-- WEAK.

These are FREE touchscreen phones with 35 or less tariffs. It's incredibly easy to completely disregard the iPhone.

It's not that people can't afford iPhones, they just do not represent any sort of value in this market... yet. Let's see what iPhone 2 will bring.

Unless you don't mind paying "269 for the "look at me" factor your money is better spent elsewhere.
__________________
The views expressed above do not, and are not intended to represent or reflect the opinions, policies and/or statements of my employer(s).

Last edited by jnc; Jan 21, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
jnc is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 AM   #12
sunfast
macrumors 68020
 
sunfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Mouse View Post
"People who think wiping one's arse with money is a waste simply can't afford it!"
That's sigworthy
__________________
upstart racing
sunfast is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:17 AM   #13
takao
macrumors 68040
 
takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dornbirn/Innsbruck (Austria)
Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfast View Post
That's sigworthy
i totally second that.

luckily i wasn't drinking anything or else my screen would have suffered...
__________________
Support Wikileaks
takao is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:35 AM   #14
elppa
macrumors 68040
 
elppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I would really like and iPhone. I'll probably be even more tempted after Feb. But the contract is just silly. 35 is a big outlay.
elppa is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:44 PM   #15
jayducharme
macrumors 68020
 
jayducharme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Mouse View Post
There's a huge difference between being able to afford something and thinking somethings good value for money. I can easily afford the iPhone, but it's still a rip-off.
I'm curious. I didn't want an iPhone because I just don't use a phone all that much. But I do use the Net a lot, so I got a Touch. Now that I'm hooked on the Touch, I'm wishing I did get an iPhone just to have access to the Net without having to be near WiFi. It's just not worth $60 a month to me, though....

I would hope that Apple would realize if their pricing is too high. But just curious: all you MacRumors members in the U.K., do you think the iPhone would have been a bigger hit there if the price of the phone were lower, or if the price of the tariffs were lower? The main complaint seems to be about getting hit twice (by Apple and O2). Which cost drop would be more important to you? (For me here in the U.S., it's definitely the AT&T cost that's stopping me.)

Last edited by jayducharme; Jan 21, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: punctuation
jayducharme is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:19 AM   #16
Beardy man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Which cost drop would be more important to you? (For me here in the U.S., it's definitely the AT&T cost that's stopping me.)
I have to say, I appear to have different gripes than most people who post on this subject. Although I may not like the cost of the phone or the tariffs, I would be prepared to pay them IF I could get (as you say) mobile internet without being near WiFi.

My problem is solely with the O2 EDGE coverage i.e. it doesn't work anywhere I would frequently use an iPhone so for me it is a "crippled" device and I'm not prepared to pay very much for something that I'd find frustrating to use knowing what it would be capable of if only Apple had chosen a different partner than O2.

I feel very irritated by all this as my wife and I decided to get iPhones when they were announced. When we discovered that O2 EDGE coverage was so dismal (and unlikely to move out of the major cities in the next few years) we felt let down and frustrated. I daren't look to see what O2 3G coverage is like in our area as I suspect we don't get a fair shake of that either.

Sorry to be so down on all this but I'm still trying to come to terms with it ;-)
Beardy man is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:08 AM   #17
coopermac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
The main reason for me and most of those I know who were initially keen to get the iPhone and haven't is having to be tied to one operator (the fact that it is O2 makes it even worse).

The fact that it is not 3G is also a big downside and when both of these defects are added to the unreasonable cost of the whole package then there is only one way most sensible people will go.

Having said all that I really am glad that there are early adopters who are willing to pay top bucks for a testbed product so that when the proper one is released all the shortcomings will be rectified.
coopermac is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:16 AM   #18
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc View Post
and for comparison, iPhone... 269

18 months
600 mins
500 texts
45

-- WEAK.
Hmm,
Don't you also get unlimited Data with this like here in the USA ?
dukeblue91 is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:37 AM   #19
Project
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc View Post
Ha... except, no. You're talking out of your arse. You can't have any idea of the European phone market:

Prada Phone - FREE

600 mins included each month
500 Text included each month
35 per month, 18 months

LG Viewty - FREE

18 month contract length
400 minutes per month
500 texts per month
but! 15 for first 8 months instead of 30

and for comparison, iPhone... 269

18 months
600 mins
500 texts
45

-- WEAK.

These are FREE touchscreen phones with 35 or less tariffs. It's incredibly easy to completely disregard the iPhone.

It's not that people can't afford iPhones, they just do not represent any sort of value in this market... yet. Let's see what iPhone 2 will bring.

Unless you don't mind paying "269 for the "look at me" factor your money is better spent elsewhere.
Does the Prada include unlimited data?

And the iPhone is definitely worth 269 more than the Prada over 18 months. It is light years ahead of it. Only an idiot would put them in the same category due to them being both touch screen. Its like saying a BMW 3 series is in the same category as a Mondeo because they all have 4 wheels and an engine.

Can you sync the Prada with iTunes? My iCal+Address Book? My iPhoto? My bookmarks? Does it come with 8GB of flash built in? Can it even do javascript? Will it allow me to take my podcasts with me automatically, marking them as "read" as I play them, telling iTunes to go get the latest episode? Does it come with a multitouch screen? Does it come with a 600mhz+ processor with 128MB of RAM? Does it even have 128MB of flash memory for storage on board? LOL. Does it come with a high resolution, 160PPI screen? Can I buy DRM free music OTA with it and have it automatically sync back with my music library when I dock? Will it sync my Mail settings?

I'd also be very surprised if the Prada phone sold 200,000 units in its first two months in the UK. The Prada phone has sold around 700,000 worldwide since May, despite it being unlocked in all territories. The iPhone has sold 4m in 4 countries since June.

To sum up, your argument is a complete non argument.

Last edited by Project; Jan 22, 2008 at 08:46 AM.
Project is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:49 AM   #20
jnc
macrumors 68020
 
jnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nunya, Business TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
Does the Prada include unlimited data?

And the iPhone is definitely worth 269 more than the Prada over 18 months. It is light years ahead of it. Only an idiot would put them in the same category due to them being both touch screen. Its like saying a BMW 3 series is in the same category as a Mondeo because they all have 4 wheels and an engine.

Can you sync the Prada with iTunes? My iCal+Address Book? My iPhoto? My bookmarks? Does it come with 8GB of flash built in? Can it even do javascript? Will it allow me to take my podcasts with me automatically, marking them as "read" as I play them, telling iTunes to go get the latest episode? Does it come with a multitouch screen? Does it come with a 600mhz+ processor with 128MB of RAM? Does it even have 128MB of flash memory for storage on board? LOL. Does it come with a high resolution, 160PPI screen? Can I buy DRM free music OTA with it and have it automatically sync back with my music library when I dock? Will it sync my Mail settings?

I'd also be very surprised if the Prada phone sold 200,000 units in its first two months in the UK. The Prada phone has sold around 700,000 worldwide since May, despite it being unlocked in all territories. The iPhone has sold 4m in 4 countries since June.

To sum up, your argument is a complete non argument.
Oh, you sure showed me. Exactly people give a ***** about ANY of the things you mentioned? To break it down, the broad public see, "touch screen phone". No one but nerds on boards like ours could care any less about the other features.

To be honest I didn't read half of what you wrote but I'm sure it said something like the same old "blah blah, visual voicemail, multi touch ... you can't get these amazing features anywhere else". Please try and understand - No one cares.

To repeat - the broad public (where the money's at) see "hmm.... a selection of touch screen phones - free, free, 269 ... I'll take a free one. Kthx"

Unreserved Apple fanboy sees "OMG iPod + Phone? MULTI-TOUCH? 269! HOW CAN I LOSE!!!"
__________________
The views expressed above do not, and are not intended to represent or reflect the opinions, policies and/or statements of my employer(s).
jnc is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:58 AM   #21
Project
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc View Post
Oh, you sure showed me. Exactly people give a ***** about ANY of the things you mentioned? To break it down, the broad public see, "touch screen phone". No one but nerds on boards like ours could care any less about the other features.

To be honest I didn't read half of what you wrote but I'm sure it said something like the same old "blah blah, visual voicemail, multi touch ... you can't get these amazing features anywhere else". Please try and understand - No one cares.

To repeat - the broad public (where the money's at) see "hmm.... a selection of touch screen phones - free, free, 269 ... I'll take a free one. Kthx"

Unreserved Apple fanboy sees "OMG iPod + Phone? MULTI-TOUCH? 269! HOW CAN I LOSE!!!"
Yawn.

If you actually read the post, you would see that the iPhone has already outsold the Prada, by a considerable margin, despite the price. iPhone in UK alone, in 2 months ~200,000 units. Prada worldwide, in 8 months, just short of 700,000 units.

Your point is therefore completely moot.
Project is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:01 AM   #22
jnc
macrumors 68020
 
jnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nunya, Business TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
Hmm,
Don't you also get unlimited Data with this like here in the USA ?
That's not such a big thing anymore - nearly every phone offers it. noted that iPhone does have the free wifi as well. The Viewty's 3G though.

Anyway I think what's more pressing here is amount of minutes and texts offered - 200 minutes and 200 texts on the base iPhone tariff of 35 is obscene. Visual voicemail and unlimited data don't save that...
__________________
The views expressed above do not, and are not intended to represent or reflect the opinions, policies and/or statements of my employer(s).
jnc is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:10 AM   #23
jnc
macrumors 68020
 
jnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nunya, Business TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
Yawn.

If you actually read the post, you would see that the iPhone has already outsold the Prada, by a considerable margin, despite the price. iPhone in UK alone, in 2 months ~200,000 units. Prada worldwide, in 8 months, just short of 700,000 units.

Your point is therefore completely moot.
OP's article says 190,000. The LG Prada phone, which doesn't have iBrandstrength anyway, isn't the only touchscreen competition I mentioned - Viewty sales in the UK were reported at over 300,000 and that was a month ago.

Stop failing.
__________________
The views expressed above do not, and are not intended to represent or reflect the opinions, policies and/or statements of my employer(s).

Last edited by jnc; Jan 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
jnc is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:11 AM   #24
northy124
macrumors 68020
 
northy124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Haven't read thread all the way through but i personally think that the price is way to high 899 for the first year (Includes price of iPhone). Also many people don't want a non 3G mobile/cell phone as GRPS is crap over here 3G is the norm now.

Just my 2
northy124 is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:17 AM   #25
Chillijam
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK, but maybe not for much longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
Does the Prada include unlimited data?

<snippety-snip />

Can you sync the Prada with iTunes? My iCal+Address Book? My iPhoto? My bookmarks? Does it come with 8GB of flash built in? Can it even do javascript? Will it allow me to take my podcasts with me automatically, marking them as "read" as I play them, telling iTunes to go get the latest episode? Does it come with a multitouch screen? Does it come with a 600mhz+ processor with 128MB of RAM? Does it even have 128MB of flash memory for storage on board? LOL. Does it come with a high resolution, 160PPI screen? Can I buy DRM free music OTA with it and have it automatically sync back with my music library when I dock? Will it sync my Mail settings?

<snip some more />

To sum up, your argument is a complete non argument.
Unlimited data? No, but then - it's a phone playing at being a phone rather than an iPod playing at being a phone.

All those other features? I doubt the Prada has most of the things you mentioned. Again, it's a phone. If it will send and receive calls and text messages, then it has done it's job. For me, and probably a lot of other users in the UK, all that other stuff is just a bonus. The iPhone is undoubtedly worth the 269 price tag, but what the other poster was saying was that the UK market has set itself up on the concept of "Pay for the line and call costs, and you get the device for free". The iPhone is bucking that trend, and as a result it is pricing itself out of the mass market.

This is just my opinion, and you are welcome to disagree if you wish. It won't stop you being wrong, though.
__________________
MacBook 2.0 - now with added 4GB-ness
iPod Touch 8GB
and a big grin
Chillijam is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Mac Sales Fall in Winter Quarter, Global PC Market Sees Continued Sales Falloff MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 47 Apr 19, 2014 03:53 PM
"Apple revenue falls short again, iPhone sales disappoint" sdilley14 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 26 Feb 16, 2013 10:07 AM
Nokia Lumia sales fall 28 percent in Q3 Rogifan Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 6 Oct 18, 2012 07:08 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC