Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fezparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I have got a Powermac digital audio 533mhz with 1.5gb ram and have just been given 1ghz g4 processor card and heat sink, now I'm not to savvy with upgrading but I've been told that this would be a straight swap for the 533mhz card and would like to know if this is the case before I kill a perfectly good computer.
Thanks
Steve

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
A few years ago I upgraded a 466 DA with a 1 GHz Sonnet card. IIRC, it was a very strait-forward job with no complications. The upgrade was well worth doing, the difference in speed being very impressive. I don't believe I even had to patch the firmware.

It is a very good idea, however, to read the instructions for your particular upgrade card and to ensure that you use the correct tools for the job, especially where it comes to cross-point screwdrivers. The manual should be downloadable from the manufacturer's web site.

A useful resource for these sorts of projects is the CPU database at XLR8yourmac.com. It's full of actual user reports as to what fits what.

fezparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
The card is from a later Powermac I believe it was the Firewire 800 model and is the the card fitted as standard to this machine would this be a problem?

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Then it's not gonna work. Different CPUs using different sockets.

You need something for a DA or Quicksilver. Using MDD parts will not work. And no, there is no way to make it work.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I don't know. You really need to check the database that I linked to in my previous post. If it's going to work, you'll probably need the 12 V mod as detailed here.

Re MikeL's post. It could be from a FW800 MDD model but it could also be from an earlier quicksilver. If it's from an MDD, you can forget it. If it was from a quicksilver, you should be golden! I'd say it's worth pulling your original chip to compare connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.